2012 WSOP Chat

What the heck!! No talk about the main event:o. I am not all up to date myself so please excuse any wrong info below.............

Who are you cheering for?

Of course I am cheering for me, myself and I PHIL IVEY!!:p>:D.

Looks like only what 11k stack for Ivey, but moving onto day 2.

Looks like Ivey is going to get the Player of the year due to the 5 final tables in 2 weeks ( suck on that bitches!:D)

Also cheering for Ruben Visser ( cause it's a family name;)) and James Browning.

Not sure who else I am cheering for yet.

Comments

• Christ.
  • Well, forum member PokerKai has 64k for day 2, Joel b about same, Zenni 140k, booth in top 15....mike smith at 84k his brother won Venetian for 100k...

Just to throw out a few names likely to outlast Ivey

Hell, Luongo has like 6 times his stack ;p
  • jontm wrote: »
    Well, forum member PokerKai has 64k for day 2, Joel b about same, Zenni 140k, booth in top 15....mike smith at 84k his brother won Venetian for 100k...

Just to throw out a few names likely to outlast Ivey

Hell, Luongo has like 6 times his stack ;p

Never count out the Ivey effect;), but seriously ya it is not looking good.:(

Holy crap forgot about PokerKai, have not heard or seen him for awhile.:)
  • He's usually pretty busy racking greens and blacks whenever I see him. I expect he won't be afraid to haunt a few hopefuls dreams.
  • Kid Poker has a nice little stack right now of 300k or so.
  • Well Ivey meister is out. :(

Negreanu and a Mike Macdonald (spelling?) still in it.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    Well Ivey meister is out. :(

Negreanu and a Mike Macdonald (spelling?) still in it.

Nailed Dnegs..."Timex" easier.

Funny story about here in Calgary in 2010. He showed up as we were moving the small field at cash to deerfoot. We offered him ride, talked to him and his buddy (Tuhin) for drive, looked like a couple of young guys just rolling into town, but he haf some not so common looking swag...get there and drop them off. Little later "mike McDonald to the cage please"....lightbulb "fuck! we did not just do that did we?"

Throw one of Canada's biggest stars in backseat of SUV after we were going to move players in limo, with zero clue. Face palm.
  • Is there a stream going on anywhere? I haven't watched a lick of it so far...
  • DennisG wrote: »
    Is there a stream going on anywhere? I haven't watched a lick of it so far...

No streams this year due to ESPN, from what I am reading. The coverage this year is a not too good this year IMO.
  • Act and BTP both into Day 3
  • i like to cheer for negreanu even though he can get on my nerves sometimes.

obviously i want any CPFer to TID!
  • what day is ITM?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    what day is ITM?

Probably later today?

Also no streams this year is a fucking fail period.
  • 54 to go for $$$.....will likely be very early today
  • This off live reporting... a near bubble hand...
    Derek Gregory opened for 12,000 from early position, then Gavin Smith called from the cutoff. It folded to David Peters in the big blind who reraised to 38,500. Gregory got out, but Smith called.
    The flop came , QQ10 and after Peters checked, Smith bet 52,500. Peters called. Both then checked the K turn.
    The river brought the 8 and another check from Peters. Smith considered for a few moments, then bet 85,000. Peters then sunk deep into the tank, waiting three minutes before asking Smith how much he had left. Smith stood and counted out the rest of his stack, showing he had about 170,000 behind. Peters sat for another minute, then announced he was all in.
    Still standing, Smith exhaled. He thought about a half-minute, rubbing his chin, then pointed to his original bet and looked at the dealer. "Can I take that back and check?" he cracked, smiling grimly. While the table laughed, Peters remained stoic.
    Finally Smith decided to fold, turning over his hand as he did — 1010.

Read more: Live Reporting | 2012 World Series of Poker | Event 61: $10,000 No-Limit Hold'em Main Event | PokerNews

Who folds this here??? I certainly can't! Who tanks for 3 minutes with KK here?? Is Smith drunk again? Am I missing something???
  • As broke/backed as Smith is, making the $ is probably job 1 with his new backer.
  • its probably pretty close. folding isn't horrible that for sure. Takes great discipline to fold here and I think its probably the right fold.
  • its probably pretty close. folding isn't horrible that for sure. Takes great discipline to fold here and I think its probably the right fold.

Hmm...we are worried about KK, QQ and KQ I guess...KK and QQ 3bet pre.. Do we think KQ 3bets oop pre? Do KK KQ and QQ tank for 3 minutes before shoving? Does KK KQ and QQ care about how much behind Gavin has? JJ might 3 bet pre? AA, AK, and possibly AQ? would 3bet pre...and JJ, AA, AK, AQ might certainly think they are the best hand here against Gavin...

Are we only folding because it's the money bubble and it's the ME?
  • In general a tank shove is a huge hand
    Hmm...we are worried about KK, QQ and KQ I guess...KK and QQ 3bet pre.. Do we think KQ 3bets oop pre? Do KK KQ and QQ tank for 3 minutes before shoving? Does KK KQ and QQ care about how much behind Gavin has? JJ might 3 bet pre? AA, AK, and possibly AQ? would 3bet pre...and JJ, AA, AK, AQ might certainly think they are the best hand here against Gavin...

Are we only folding because it's the money bubble and it's the ME?

True that all those hands might think they are ahead. But the fact is if these hands are ahead they aren't getting an all in call on the river which means shoving is -EV because they will only get called by better. on this board we are only beating air. But considering the money bubble and the fact that gavin called a raise then flatted the 3bet his range isn't very wide. Therefore we are prob gonna assume gavin has a big hand or a bluff. So shoving with worse than 1010 here is just a bad play.......or a great play as it would've worked haha...
  • Bunch of you know/met Joel B by now, he's sitting with 750k (avg 560k) with 355 to go. One of his best friends Khoa was last Canadian standing in ME last year with 11th place finish, so needless to say if (WHEN) he bags tonight some of the Calgary crew are hopping planes to get the rail support going.

Great player, hoping he countinues to #rungood

86/346
  • 575k end of day count for Joel. Avg 700, he's peaked at 750k twice

282 left and onto Day 5
  • Gavin is listed at 831k after last night so he musta gone on a tear after that hand...
  • True that all those hands might think they are ahead. But the fact is if these hands are ahead they aren't getting an all in call on the river which means shoving is -EV because they will only get called by better. on this board we are only beating air. But considering the money bubble and the fact that gavin called a raise then flatted the 3bet his range isn't very wide. Therefore we are prob gonna assume gavin has a big hand or a bluff. So shoving with worse than 1010 here is just a bad play.......or a great play as it would've worked haha...

Ok, I had one more thought while mindlessly painting away today..(maybe the fumes made me think this way) Why, if Peters has the (basically) nuts...KK, KQ, Why would he check to Gavin to start with and not bet and get some value in there? Smith checks the king behind..IF Peters has the KK or KQ...he knows Gavin is/could be afraid of it and definitely doesn't have it..so giving him a chance to check behind on the river isn't of any value...and like zz top says...we gots to get paid! I would think a value bet of some sorts would be in order if he has a strong enough hand to come over top...??

I hope this hand is televised...lol
    Ok, I had one more thought while mindlessly painting away today..(maybe the fumes made me think this way) Why, if Peters has the (basically) nuts...KK, KQ, Why would he check to Gavin to start with and not bet and get some value in there? Smith checks the king behind..IF Peters has the KK or KQ...he knows Gavin is/could be afraid of it and definitely doesn't have it..so giving him a chance to check behind on the river isn't of any value...and like zz top says...we gots to get paid! I would think a value bet of some sorts would be in order if he has a strong enough hand to come over top...??

Peters 3bets aa kk qq etc. pre only some of the time. It may be a lot but it can't help us take them out of his range.

Also I think your crazy for saying that Peters wouldn't tank for 3mins, then say 'how much you got' and then raise with the nuts.

He can also have qt seldom but sometimes? He's repping a full house and his range is polarized I think because he just calls with his marginal stuff. So how often does he bluff vs have the nuts....not enough to call i think.

Do you think he checked a marginal hand to fold or call and then started tanking for 3 minutes and decided to turn it into a bluff. Or that he checked air hoping to induce a bet so he could tank 3 minutes to check raise him off the pot?
  • darbday wrote: »
    Peters 3bets aa kk qq etc. pre only some of the time. It may be a lot but it can't help us take them out of his range.
    I never took them out of the range...they are certainly there..
    Also I think your crazy for saying that Peters wouldn't tank for 3mins, then say 'how much you got' and then raise with the nuts.

3 min seems like a long time to tank with the nuts...in my head anyway...

He can also have qt seldom but sometimes? He's repping a full house and his range is polarized I think because he just calls with his marginal stuff. So how often does he bluff vs have the nuts....not enough to call i think.

Is he gonna 3bet oop with q10? Probably not methinks...but maybe? He is certainly repping a big hand..
    Do you think he checked a marginal hand to fold or call and then started tanking for 3 minutes and decided to turn it into a bluff. Or that he checked air hoping to induce a bet so he could tank 3 minutes to check raise him off the pot?

I don't think he has air at all...and I don't think AA, AK or AQ (*most likely this in my mind) is that marginal??..I think he has a very solid hand..and one that he thinks is better than Gavin's ...Gavin's play leads us to leave hands like 99, jj, and qj, in his range ..and maybe Peters thinks Gavin HAS to call given there is 280k in the pot and Gavin only has 170 behind now...already putting in near half his stack??

-edit- or maybe he has the aces or AK...and realizes the only way he is gonna win the pot is by shoving on Gavin thinking that Gavin COULD fold a big hand being that it is the bubble???

I can appreciate and understand that he shouldn't be jamming anything less than 1010 and I can also appreciate what you are saying about turning his hand into a bluff...but I guess I don't understand why he gives Gavin a free showdown (should Gavin had chose it) if he does have the nuts...this is the part that throws me...

This is obviously why I don't have a bracelet yet....:-[
  • Is he gonna 3bet oop with q10? Probably not methinks...but maybe? He is certainly repping a big hand..
    less often but there some wacky squeeze hands for sure...otherwise he doesn't ever really have air.
    I think he has a very solid hand..and one that he thinks is better than Gavin's
    I don't know Peters if hes a pro or something but its not enough to think he's better to value bet, he has to think Gavin will call with worse (unless he has the nuts and then who care).
    ...Gavin's play leads us to leave hands like 99, jj, and qj, in his range ..and maybe Peters thinks Gavin HAS to call given there is 280k in the pot and Gavin only has 170 behind now...already putting in near half his stack??
    Ya i can't read stacks so i have no idea about the pot odds here.
    but I guess I don't understand why he gives Gavin a free showdown (should Gavin had chose it) if he does have the nuts...
    He could feel that Gavin will bet all marginal and strong hands when checked to.....and then call a c/r with his stronger hands. If he leads out Gavin might just call everything so less money gets in vs Gavins stronger range.

I dunno if thats true but its one reason.

This is obviously
    obv.:D

He knows hes getting value on the river. When Gavin bets strong on flop like that on the bubble of the ME more than likely means he has some sort of that flop. There is only like 1 hand that isnt betting the river and that JJ. But also all those hand that he would be betting flop strong but checking back river are going to fold to a value bet anyways. Gavins most likely holding are Qx, jj, 1010, 99, or even qq(but if we have a Q in our hand we dont really have to worry about that one). Qx is definatly betting river, and so is 1010. Other 2 are most likely checking back and folding to bets. Any other hands that gavin might have like AK are also checking river back in this spot, so leading for value on this river against gavins range is foolish.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    In general a tank shove is a huge hand

This. Guy knows Gavin is basically pot committed and likely to call his shove, so I don't think he is leveling him here and had big hand. The tank is hollywood, see lots of players, especially the better ones that have played the pros play precisely this way. By the time 2 minutes elapse you almost guarantee that the next action is a shove and he is expecting call.

What you guys call that again...standard play? Only unless it's against a player like Gavin, Hero almost always stacks guy here.
  • jontm wrote: »
    This. Guy knows Gavin is basically pot committed and likely to call his shove, so I don't think he is leveling him here and had big hand. The tank is hollywood, see lots of players, especially the better ones that have played the pros play precisely this way. By the time 2 minutes elapse you almost guarantee that the next action is a shove and he is expecting call.

What you guys call that again...standard play? Only unless it's against a player like Gavin, Hero almost always stacks guy here.

I will have to remember this for my online WSOP ring this fall on Playnow ;)