Comments

• sorry. nothing personal to differently-abled people but the 'different' part makes it an unequal playing field - and that imbalance can fall either way.

in any case, i'd probably let him run, but his results should have an asterisk beside it.
  • Where's the debate?

Guy made the qualifying time for his country. He has different feet, so what? It's not like he's some 300lb guy with a rocket up his ass to get him across the finish line.

If he's good enough to compete, then he competes. End of story.
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    Where's the debate?

Guy made the qualifying time for his country. He has different feet, so what? It's not like he's some 300lb guy with a rocket up his ass to get him across the finish line.

If he's good enough to compete, then he competes. End of story.

So if this guy didn't have feet but had these attached to his legs he'd be fine to compete in Olympic high jump?

latest-fun-top-cool-new-high-technology-gadgets-powerizer_1.jpg
  • was this not beaten to death a few years back.

Pretty sure it was determined he had no unfair advantage.
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    he's some 300lb guy with a rocket up his ass to get him across the finish line.

This I would watch.
  • I'd be hard pressed to argue that a guy without lower legs has an advantage in a foot race.
  • Depending on the hardware used, of course he could have an advantage.
    The Six Million Dollar man SHOULD NOT be allowed to compete in the olympics....even if the only reason being so the race isn't shown in slow motion with that strange chi cha cha cha cha chi cha cha cha cha sound in the back ground.
  • The difference, Mole (and I think you already know this), is that your high jumper has artificial devices that enhance his legs abilities, while Pistorius has not legs, and the "blades" are what has replaced his limbs. I cannot remember if it was the IOC, or the Court of Arbitration for Sport that determined that he gains no advantage over "complete" runners, but the "advantage issue has been settled. Let Oscar run . . . he earned it.
  • So if this guy didn't have feet but had these attached to his legs he'd be fine to compete in Olympic high jump?

latest-fun-top-cool-new-high-technology-gadgets-powerizer_1.jpg

Those things are awesome! However, they show a definite advantage as they are extensions to the legs, where as the blades replace the lower legs at what would have been his "normal" height.
  • Hell no he shouldn't run against able bodied peoples

Guy should just go crush the specialz like a boss
  • Olympics are a joke anyways.

The fact that you're allowed to rep any country you'd like instantly throws the whole importance away. This is just a micro example of the macro issue. If this guy can throw money at good enough equipment to get an edge to win, how is that any different than the wealthier countries being able to not only provide better training facilities and equipment, but literally buy the better athletes with promises of sponsorship deals?

I remember everyone being so proud of Canada when that Jamaican fella won. Really confused me.

Mark
  • you mean Mark Mckoy? oh wait, he's Guyanese.

anyway,

next to impossible to determine what an unfair advantage is in this case. do the prostetics provide more forward thrust than his calves and feet would if he had them? impossible to know as he could have had abnormally weak calves and thus this is an advantage, or strong calves and huge feet like Bolt and therefore not so much.

The true test would be if someone cut off their lower limbs, got these and was faster. does amputation become a performance enhancing procedure.
  • With a personal best in the 400m of 45.07s, he is well off the world record of 43.18 held by Michael Johnson of USA. All things being equal, if he had any advantage because of the prosthetics he would at least be mid 44 or better IMO. He met the Olympic standard for South Africa's team, that is all. He is nowhere near the best in the world. Therefore, you can't argue he has an advantage over world class able-bodied runners.

He might sneak into the final if some runners don't have good races. It's a huge long shot he'll get a medal. My prediction is he doesn't make the 400M Final, and South Africa 400m Relay team doesn't win a medal.