Luke trust the force!

Had another losing B&M session at Brantford yesterday (last two!!). However, I did play extremely well and thought I made the right decision in most spots -- other than playing my 92s sb!

Here's a couple of really cool reads.

I'm in MP with QQ. Utg limps, as does EMP. I raise, cutoff, button, blinds and limpers call. Seven see the flop. Flop is 223. Blinds check, UTG bets, call, and it's to me. This is usually an automatic raise on my part. But Mr. Reliable is the UTG who led out. I pause for a few seconds, and his vein on his forehead pops out. I saw this two other times, and each time had a monster. I'm thinking he as pocket 3's or AA. I FOLD. Yes, you heard it. Cutoff calls, blinds fold. Two for the turn, T. UTG Bets, cutoff calls. River is a J. UTG bets, cutoff calls. UTG flips over KK. My read was a tad off, but pretty darn good.

I'm in the blind with 44 and get a free pass. Five see the flop. Flop is 349. I lead out, call, Mr. Reliable read raises, fold, fold, I re-raise, fold, Mr Reliable caps. I look, and their goes the freaking vein. Turn is a J. I check, he quickly bets. I FOLD, because the only way he caps is with a set and I really don't think he's got 33. I muck, he shows his pocket 9's.

My favourite fold.

Wacko any two card LAG raises (his raising stds. are high -- Big pocket pairs, AK-AQ). Oddly enough no one notices this because his limp-raising stds. are just as loose as his limping stds -- any two (I mean any two T7o 94o, K7o are all in his aresenal for limp-raises). So, everyone tries to isolate him when he raises thinking his std. for raising are loose. Vinny a solid player (20/40) raises to isolate (he'll do this with a big ace, or any pocket). Mr. Tight Regular Kv. calls three cold from the button. I'm in the SB with AJ clubs. I FOLD because, I'm thinking my ace is no good, and I'm likely looking at a big pocket from Vinny, Wacko LAG, or Tight Regular. UTG hope and a prayer player (HAAP) calls three cold, and Wacko LAG caps. Four see the flop.

Flop is 24J (24 of clubs!!). Now I'm kicking myself, and thinking I'll post this so BBC can slay me for the fold. HAAP checks, WLAG bets, Vinny raises, TREG folds, HAAP calls, and WLAG re-raises, and three see the turn. 6 clubs. HAAP checks, WLAG bets, Vinny calls. HAPP raises, WLAG calls, Vinney folds. River is a Q. HAAP bets WLAG calls. HAAP shows the straight flush with 53clubs!!! Not sure what Vinny or WLAG have, but I'm confident I made the right choice pre-flop.

I also made some strong plays on reads.

UTG raising stds, are really low. He raises, I re-raise with 88. Flop comes T73 two hearts. He bets, I call. Turn is an Ace diamonds. He bets, I raise. River is a brick. He checks, I check. He mucks before i can show, and says, nice pair of aces. I flip over 88.

WLAG NEVER folds. I had been in a couple of hands with him and shown him the goods. He checks the flop TT7. I bet, holding 33 (the rest fold). Turn is a 5. He checks, I bet. The river is a dreaded 7. He was sitting on my right. Every time he had a hand, his leg would shake. No shake. He checks the river, I bet. He folds and says nice hand. The table is amazed that he folded!

I'm finally getting to the point where I can play well during bad times -- my biggest pockets (500 hands total) were KK which were masacred by 88 set, and QQ which you saw that i had to fold. I think this is a good thing. Now, if I can't get back to winning more sessions, I may have to give up the game!!

Cheers
Magi

Comments

• Flop is 24J (24 of clubs!!). Now I'm kicking myself, and thinking I'll post this so BBC can slay me for the fold.

For 2.5 cold at the worst position of the table against a tight raiser, I'd toss it too.. Dunno why there seems to be this prevalent idea that I think all reads are garbage. They are not.
  • BBC Z wrote:
    For 2.5 cold at the worst position of the table against a tight raiser, I'd toss it too.. Dunno why there seems to be this prevalent idea that I think all reads are garbage. They are not.

Didn't mean to imply you thought reads were garbage. Was really thinking you would figure there would be odds to call here, with a WLAG as the initial raiser, and a solid player trying to isolate (who could be holding ATs). THere "might" be odds, but as you say worst position, with a solid re-raiser and a marginal hand in really bad postion -- it's a fold. I thought it was amusing because I had made the nut flush and was kicking myself. Too often we focus on results, even though the initial decision is correct.

Cheers
    Magi
  • magithighs wrote:
    my biggest pockets (500 hands total) were KK ...

Wait a sec, you played 500 hands in a B&M game? How long were you there? A week?
  • Wait a sec, you played 500 hands in a B&M game? How long were you there? A week?

Well, as I was waiting for the odds to even out, I spent 14 hours there, and it felt like a month -- waiting for a hand and then watching it go down in flames. UGH!

I figure about 40 hands per hour minus the table set up and pee breaks. Didn't get out for dinner!!

Cheers
    Magi
  • magithighs wrote:
    Well, as I was waiting for the odds to even out, I spent 14 hours there, and it felt like a month -- waiting for a hand and then watching it go down in flames. UGH!

I figure about 40 hands per hour minus the table set up and pee breaks. Didn't get out for dinner!!

Cheers
    Magi

I can vouch for magi, since I was there for 10 hours, and he was there before I got there, and was there after I left. :smile:

Magi and I had a chance to talk several times throughout the day ... I was waiting for him to post these hands.

macbb
  • Oh, and BTW ...

I played 5/10 for my 10 hour session yesterday. I had a couple of bad 10/20 sessions of late, so I thought it was best to go back to 5/10, and regain my "A" game.

It seems to have paid off ... made money both of the last 2 times before yesterday, and yesterday, made about 30 BB in my 10 hours ... pretty good.

The other thing ... if you looked up the definition of "loose passive" in the dictionary, there would have been a picture of my table! :wink: Pretty consistently 6 or 7 seeing the flop, and a pre-flop raise was usually met with a stern "what do you think you are doing?" by several at the table.

I had been meaning to ask ... in my situation, I feel I've regained my "A" game, and am ready to move back to 10/20 ... but, I seem to have found a real comfort level at 5/10 ... sure, it's like Bingo at times, but I feel I can get a read on players very well.

I had my name on 10/20 a few times throughout the day yesterday, but always declined, because, as I told Magi, why move when I liked the table? ... what is everyone's opinion on that? ... if you thought you were playing well, and were ready for the next level, would you go, or would you stay where you were confident there was money to be made?

Oh, and a couple times, I had to chance to join Magi's 10/20 table ... judging by his analytical ability, I'm not sure I want to join him ... can't imagine how he'd categorize me!! :eek:

Magi, pleasure as always talking to you yesterday ... and as always, nice to have a couple of chats with my "brother" mac, who was also there.

There was a wild 20/40 game going while we were there ... lots of chips being exchanged.

macbb