ontario poker tournaments?

i swear i used to have a link to a decent site that listed many of the tournaments in ontario, but i can't seem to find it. therefore, i thought i'd ask the forum as to where are some good live tournaments in ontario.

some criteria to consider:
  • i'm from hamilton and i'd prefer not having to drive too crazy far
  • i'm looking for buy-ins around $100-$300ish
  • i'm a teacher and i have the summer off so july and august are my preferred months
any suggestions?

Comments

• how are the brantford deepstack MTTs? how's the turn out normally? rake seems a bit high.
  • trigs wrote: »
    how are the brantford deepstack MTTs?

that's what I was going to suggest. Not unless there are some tournaments coming up at Seneca in the summer? There is a $200 turbo tournament at GBH on August 22 (8k in chips w 20 minute blinds).
  • Buzzzard hosts great rake free tournaments for $60 in Kitchener.
  • FV has new weekly tournaments afaik
  • jdAA88 wrote: »
    FV has new weekly tournaments afaik

i was looking at the 'standard' tournament at fallsview but they don't have starting stacks listed so i'm not sure about the structure. their deep stacks tournament looks good but probably out of my range at $450. i'm not interested in their turbos.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Buzzzard hosts great rake free tournaments for $60 in Kitchener.

that is always a possibility.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    that's what I was going to suggest. Not unless there are some tournaments coming up at Seneca in the summer? There is a $200 turbo tournament at GBH on August 22 (8k in chips w 20 minute blinds).

i've seen that GBH has had some decent tourneys in the past. i've never actually headed up there though.
    i've seen that GBH has had some decent tourneys in the past. i've never actually headed up there though.

there is a good deepstack in July but its in the $500 price range.

You cant go wrong with Brantford. Buy-ins are in your price range, structure is decent and they run three times a week (Sun, 10am - Tues, 7pm - Thu, 10am). Its local to Hamilton and they get a good turnout, usually sold out.

For a regular monthly game, Buzzards is the best rake free game around.

The Cave in Cambridge isnt a bad weekly option. Lots of players, low buy in ($40) and the cash game afterwards is super soft.

I'd love to find a weekly league type of game in the Hammer.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    You cant go wrong with Brantford. Buy-ins are in your price range, structure is decent and they run three times a week (Sun, 10am - Tues, 7pm - Thu, 10am). Its local to Hamilton and they get a good turnout, usually sold out.

For a regular monthly game, Buzzards is the best rake free game around.

The Cave in Cambridge isnt a bad weekly option. Lots of players, low buy in ($40) and the cash game afterwards is super soft.

I'd love to find a weekly league type of game in the Hammer.

thanks dj.

i used to know of a few weekly games in hamilton a long time ago but all have died. i still remember when hamilton mountain bowl used to have a $20 buy-in (no fee) tournament every weekend. was usually packed. as soon as tables busted they'd run STT with $20 buy-ins as well. good times :)
    thanks dj.

i used to know of a few weekly games in hamilton a long time ago but all have died. i still remember when hamilton mountain bowl used to have a $20 buy-in (no fee) tournament every weekend. was usually packed. as soon as tables busted they'd run STT with $20 buy-ins as well. good times :)

I remember the bowl games. Went to quite a few. Let me know if you get your cash game going.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    I remember the bowl games. Went to quite a few. Let me know if you get your cash game going.

yeah man for sure. nothing set in stone yet, and probably won't run over the summer anyway. will most likely be just a handful of us who normally play recreationally. was thinking like having a monthly game.

now that i'm moving into a house (so soon!) i'm definitely considering running some games. never had enough room before in my apartment.
  • after a little more research, i'm thinking i'll be heading to brantford a few times over the summer. they have a good structure. however, the rake may limit my participation there.

$150 bounty = 13% rake
    $120 freeze out = 16.7% rake
    $125 deep stack = 20% rake
    $160 deep stack = 18.5% rake
    $230 deep stack = 13% rake

is this along the lines of standard rakes? seems high to me but i don't have a lot of experience.
    is this along the lines of standard rakes? seems high to me but i don't have a lot of experience.

buy-ins are low so the rake will be high. They can't charge $10 in rake and justify the cost of dealers, etc. Rake is usually 10%ish that I have seen. Even the $200 GBH tournaments are $20 rake. Although there are usually hidden additional charges or carry overs to other championship tournaments.
  • One thing great about the GBH $200+20 tournaments is that it includes a free buffet voucher that can be used for lunch or dinner. And the structure ain't bad for a $200 buyin.

I've played $2.5k and 5k events at Fallsview and all they give u is a neck badge souvenir. C'mon Fallsview, we pay like $300 juice and u don't even feed us?
  • Popkorn wrote: »
    One thing great about the GBH $200+20 tournaments is that it includes a free buffet voucher that can be used for lunch or dinner. And the structure ain't bad for a $200 buyin.

I've played $2.5k and 5k events at Fallsview and all they give u is a neck badge souvenir. C'mon Fallsview, we pay like $300 juice and u don't even feed us?

Are you playing the $550 deepstack on July 11th? More starting chips that their $1k events.
  • Popkorn wrote: »
    One thing great about the GBH $200+20 tournaments is that it includes a free buffet voucher that can be used for lunch or dinner. And the structure ain't bad for a $200 buyin.

i didn't take a close look at the structure but these are labelled as turbos so i was a bit wary.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    Are you playing the $550 deepstack on July 11th? More starting chips that their $1k events.

Most likely I will, I'm avoiding all their $1k tournaments because it doesn't seem right that u get the same amount of points as u would get if u played the $200 tournament when contributing 5 times more to the end of year tournament.