Email text alerts

I used to have text alerts sent to my phone by hotmail/live.com when I received an email from certain addresses....but hotmail discontinued sending text alerts at the end of May. Anyone know of another email that I can have hotmail forward emails to that will send a text alert? I'm not planning on getting a blackberry or having my mobile constantly connected to the web so that isn't an option....I never want to become 'that' connected or waste the money, but do like to have certain email alerts come to my phone.

Comments

1. walkie talkies
    2. telepathy
    3. tin cans connected by string
    4. messenger pigeons
    5. snail mail (obviously a joke. who uses this anymore??)
    personally, i use gmail and it gives my automatic updates on my android phone.
  • I'll tell you the easiest way is using your carrier's SMS gateway. Basically you preface the @ with your cell (just the numbers, no symbols) and suffix it with the address for your carrier.

Here are the major Canadian ones:

[10digitnumber]@txt.bell.ca (Bell and Solo)
    [10digitnumber]@pcs.rogers.com
    [10digitnumber]@fido.ca
    [10digitnumber]@msg.telus.com
    [10digitnumber]@vmobile.ca (Virgin Mobile)
    [10digitnumber]@mobiletxt.ca (PC Mobile)
    [10digitnumber]@msg.koodomobile.com
    [10digitnumber]@sms.sasktel.com and [10digitnumber]@pcs.sasktelmobility.com
    [10digitnumber]@text.mts.net (MTS Allstream Inc./ Manitoba Telecom Services Inc.)

Check here for additional information and/or carriers. They even list addresses for MMS (multimedia picture/video/music) messages.

hc
  • ^^ I used to use this on TELUS and was never charged, but you should check with your carrier before trying this out. The list is also quite old (I snipped from an old post online) so some of the addresses may be dead/changed. YMMV.
  • Rogers charges for this feature. we use it at work to send notifications to the person on-call.
  • Yes I'm with Rogers and when I first had them years ago it was free, but now there is some sort of charge. The hotmail option was great, as they'd just send a text. Funny, I just hate paying for anything internet related if I don't have to. Movies, songs, anything....I refuse to pay. I'm not cheap, but for some reason I just can't bring myself to pay for any of it if it's free. I have no problem risking hundreds of thousands of dollars in the stock market, or thousands playing poker....but pay an extra 10 cents for emails if there is another option? No way :o
  • I'm not sure if your phone has this function, but what you have to do is text the year 2000 and ask for your cutting edge technology back
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I'm not sure if your phone has this function, but what you have to do is text the year 2000 and ask for your cutting edge technology back

I'll have you know this is cutting edge 2008 technology...with touch screen and all :D
  • SuperNed wrote: »
    I'll have you know this is cutting edge 2008 technology...with touch screen and all :D

Is the screen even VGA?

Do you have to use a stylus?
  • It would be a fine phone if I didn't have to lug this brick of a battery pack around with it ;)
    It's actually an LG Xenon. Mediocre phone at best but it does everything I need and obviously can be used for the internet etc. Touchscreen but also has a keyboard so it is moderately functional.
    Barring any viable suggestions I signed up for Rogers Email to SMS option using mynumber@pcs.rogers.com and will see how badly they rape me when I get billed for a couple of months. Either way, I do need alerts and email on the go for work and the market etc so I guess it's a necessary evil I will have to live with...
  • Pretty sure it's only $5 / month
  • I can live with that :)