need to fucking vent

just got a new smartphone. have had it for a few weeks. coming home from work today, as i was getting onto the elevator on the basement floor i went to put it in my pocket. i missed and it fell into the elevator shaft under the elevator. i went straight to the super who pretty much told me i'm SOL. called telus to see if i can get a replacement phone; they gave me the same answer.

fucking fuck!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• trigs wrote: »
    just got a new smartphone. have had it for a few weeks. coming home from work today, as i was getting onto the elevator on the basement floor i went to put it in my pocket. i missed and it fell into the elevator shaft under the elevator. i went straight to the super who pretty much told me i'm SOL. called telus to see if i can get a replacement phone; they gave me the same answer.

fucking fuck!!!!!!!!!

Now THAT is a bad beat. Sorry to hear that, that really sucks.
  • If it fell that far and that fast it must have been a Blackberry.......

Baddum bum! I'm here all week folks, enjoy the veal.
  • Lost my Telus phone in Bahamas; you can buy a cheap replacement at Future Shop. Think it was $50 and then you call them and they attach it to your account. Won't replace the 'smartphone' but at least you can get back up and running.
  • That blows!

My buddy just "lost" his cell at a "gentlemen's club" a few nights ago. He picked up a shiny new Galaxy Nexus.

TELUS has a dirty little secret that they don't want you to know about. You can buy one of their pay-as-you-go phones and activate it on a post-paid account.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    Lost my Telus phone in Bahamas; you can buy a cheap replacement at Future Shop. Think it was $50 and then you call them and they attach it to your account. Won't replace the 'smartphone' but at least you can get back up and running.

since i've only had my new one for a bit, i actually still have my old crappy one. do you remember if it cost money to change the sim card over again?
  • holychow wrote: »
    TELUS has a dirty little secret that they don't want you to know about. You can buy one of their pay-as-you-go phones and activate it on a post-paid account.

did not know that. might look into it.
  • Wow, that is some epic #runbad!

There must be a way to get at the phone. Call the number of the company that services the elevators. It might cost you to have them come out, but you should be able to fish it out of there.
  • I'm also going to be extra, extra careful getting into an elevator with my iPhone now!
  • got most of my phone back!

however, allegedly it is illegal to to stick long objects into elevator shafts.
  • There must be a way to access the elevator shaft. I didn't read your first post carefully and just realized you were on the basement floor. I assumed the phone was smashed, but maybe it's ok. I'd be pissed if I saw the super walking around with your phone!

EDIT: Hopefully it still works!
  • lol this thread title rapes
  • holychow wrote: »
    There must be a way to access the elevator shaft. I didn't read your first post carefully and just realized you were on the basement floor. I assumed the phone was smashed, but maybe it's ok. I'd be pissed if I saw the super walking around with your phone!

EDIT: Hopefully it still works!

still works, but i don't have an extra battery at the moment. still waiting on one i ordered previously though. it's got a couple little gashes in it but nothing seriously. screen is still good. hopefully the super doesn't decide to fine/charge me like he threatened but i don't think he will.
  • Now...I was waiting for a bit until I felt it was appropriate to post this
    still works, but i don't have an extra battery at the moment. still waiting on one i ordered previously though. it's got a couple little gashes in it but nothing seriously. screen is still good. hopefully the super doesn't decide to fine/charge me like he threatened but i don't think he will.

Why would he charge you? What a douche!

Glad to hear it's working. Cosmetic scratches are the least of your worries. The screen survived the fall? Sweet.
  • How in the world did you grab it
  • moose wrote: »
    How in the world did you grab it

i MacGyvered i grabbing tool by looping a string through a hollow tube so that i could pull the string and tighten the loop. i then duct taped that tube to a broom stick to get more length. i made a few practice attempts in my apartment first and i seemed pretty good at it. literally took me about 30 seconds to fish it out.
  • Okay but what kind of rickety death trap do you live in? The gap shouldn't have been more than .75 in. How did you even see the thing and then wouldn't the phone have 90 degree to the broom? Amazing.
  • iPhones are like 1/2" thick
    i MacGyvered i grabbing tool by looping a string through a hollow tube so that i could pull the string and tighten the loop. i then duct taped that tube to a broom stick to get more length. i made a few practice attempts in my apartment first and i seemed pretty good at it. literally took me about 30 seconds to fish it out.

I saw that episode!
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    iPhones are like 1/2" thick

Yu gud at phisicks, science, math and all that smartypants type stuff eh? Obviously if it went down in the first place, it fits through the crack. Duh. You still have to see it, grab it, it guide it back without being able to use your hands.
  • moose wrote: »
    Okay but what kind of rickety death trap do you live in? The gap shouldn't have been more than .75 in. How did you even see the thing and then wouldn't the phone have 90 degree to the broom? Amazing.

the gap is probably about 3" or so (maybe 2"). they just put in new elevators as well so not sure why it's so big. my gf held the elevator door and a flashlight for me. pulling up the phone it was on an awkward angle. i just tried to keep the string tight and i managed to wiggle it through the gap.

the apartment is decent for sure overall. i'm moving soon anyway though ;)
  • also just wanted to add that i haven't been able to play any diablo 3 since this incident on account that i have the mobile authenticator. damn battery better show up soon.