Best Cellphone Options While in US

As a lot of us spend a considerable amount of time in the US each year, thought I would see what most people do regarding their cellphone usage while in the US. I usually get a plan with my current provider for texting and use a phone card for calls back to Canada, which usually ends up costing me $20/day for testing and local calls.

I know a lot of people have a separate dedicated phone while in the US. When I was in Niagara Falls recently, I came across this offer from Boost Mobile. Basically you have to buy a disposable phone for $29.99 (this is the basic phone for calls and texts, no internet) and you get a $10 credit with the phone purchase. They have a daily unlimited plan for texting/calls to the US for $2/day. Basically you only get charged for the days you use the phone while in the US (billing starts the day you arrive and ends the day you leave the US). So if you go to Vegas for a week, it cost you $14 total for unlimited texting and calls to the US. Seems like a pretty good option vs using your Canadian provider phone. Not sure what they charge for calls to Canada?

Anyone know of other decent phone offers for US based carriers?

Daily Unlimited | Android Plans | Blackberry Plans | No Contract | Boost Mobile

Comments

• We used cheap Verizon phones for keeping in contact with either other in Vegas, not for calling home.

I think Bell charge me $30 for 20Meg of data, which I almost went through in 5 days.

I'm very interested in what others come up with.
  • $2 a day from T-Mobile if you're ok with 2G connection, $3 a day if you want faster speed data.
  • westside8 wrote: »
    $2 a day from T-Mobile if you're ok with 2G connection, $3 a day if you want faster speed data.

I was looking through the T-Mobile site and didn't see this mentioned anymore. Can you post a link?
  • holychow wrote: »
    I was looking through the T-Mobile site and didn't see this mentioned anymore. Can you post a link?

Pay By The Day Cell Phone Plans | Prepaid Plans | T-Mobile
    SteveKerr wrote: »

That is $3 a day with data on top, t-mobile provides $2 or $3 INCLUDING data.
  • Roam Mobility looks like a good option if you want unlimited calling to Canada. Are the prepaid phones you buy at Future Shop unlocked? Or do you have to buy a new phone for all these plans?
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    Roam Mobility looks like a good option if you want unlimited calling to Canada. Are the prepaid phones you buy at Future Shop unlocked? Or do you have to buy a new phone for all these plans?

I got my old iPhone unlocked and just purchased a sim card from them
  • bump with WSOP time coming up; anybody know best option to buy a pay as you go phone on the strip?
  • if you are just going to text most cdn providers should have a decent plan you can add on for a month
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    if you are just going to text most cdn providers should have a decent plan you can add on for a month

I use Telus and its $20 for the plan, plus $0.20 for every incoming/outgoing text. Other option is $40/month for unlimited both ways. If I buy a prepaid phone, likely cost me $20-$30 upfront then around $2/day unlimited. Probably breakeven for the first US trip but ahead after second trip (returning to US in August). Not a huge difference but its more the principle of being at the mercy of the Cdn phone companies.
  • SteveKerr wrote: »

Thanks for the details. Going to pick up a Breeze phone and go with the $3/day unlimited calling and texting to/from Canada/US. Not much savings in getting a phone unlocked and buying their SIM card (and hoping it actually will work).

This seems like a much better option versus a US pre-paid phone as you also get unlimited daily calling to Canada from the US. You can buy time as you need it and you keep your US based phone number if you use the phone at least once a year.

Got the phone yesterday and it seems pretty easy to use.