Stardust Poker Mansion

Looks like another poker room has popped up around Montreal. Maybe SteveKerr and the group can check it out while they're in Quebec next week after shipping the Playground Tourney

http://www.stardustpokermansion.com

Comments

• Just saw this myself.

Probably will try to hit it up, maybe the night before the playground tourney on April 28th
  • Duhamel @ McClung have been up selling this place for months, official ambassadors at one point. Heard the licensing took some time to it will be interesting to see what goes down with some big players involved
  • I'm in for checking it out
  • I'm going to a pre-opening event a week from Thursday night - I'll report back. I know a lot of the dealers and managers already and based on that and everything I've heard it should be a great room.

I predict overall that it will be a welcome addition to the Montreal scene, and more competition is almost always a good thing for players.
  • good to know the rake structure. Like the idea of an upscale club. Too bad they can't open one in downtown Montreal.
  • I'll get the information about the rake. I'd be shocked if it were different than Playground.
  • Went, loved it, finally a place with class and great customer service.
  • winwin wrote: »
    Went, loved it, finally a place with class and great customer service.

So what do you do there?
  • Prince poker posted 100+ pics on their wall. Can put FB link up or public link later for those interested.
  • I was there on Thursday night and again today. I didn't play any cash so I don't know about the rake but (again) I'm sure it will be the same as PG.

The building is large and has a resto/bar downstairs and the poker room is upstairs. In the main room they have about 17 tables and they have two private rooms with 1 and 2 tables each inside. You get upstairs via a huge staircase which opens right into the centre of the room. The brush desk is immediately to your left at the top of the stairs and the cashiers are just past that across a small hallway that leads to ATMs, bathrooms, etc.

Still standing at the top of the stairs there are two tables directly in front of you, and there's a service bar past those two. There's a row of four tables to the left, and a long row of about ten or so tables down the entire right wall. Overall the effect is pretty great - it's wall to wall poker.

The room is super spacious, particularly compared with other rooms in the Montreal area. There's lots of space to walk around and the lighting is nice and bright. Although my personal preference is for the sleek modern styling of Playground, that's not to suggest that Stardust isn't very nice looking inside. Everything seems top notch, from the tables and player and dealer chairs to the Paulson cash and tourney chips.

The tables themselves are the subject of most of the discussion. They're beautiful, but arguably too beautiful. They feature a wide wooden racetrack between the rail and the felt. It's great for stacking chips, but you can't keep your cards there (house rule) and anyhow even if you could it's so slick that it would be tough to peek at your cards. What that means, though, is that when you're playing you end up leaning over a lot to reach your cards. And since the dealers can't pitch to the rail (which they shouldn't do anyhow, but still...) it might end up being slower. This may not prove to be true, but at least after two days I'm not 100% convinced that the tables are optimal.

Anyhow that's a little mini trip report/description. Happy to answer any questions...

(BTW I was 14/130 in the first free buy tourney I played and 8/90 in the second, i.e. almost-bubble and next-to-min-cash FML)
  • compuease wrote: »
    So what do you do there?

handies?
  • mikelbyl wrote: »
    They feature a wide wooden racetrack between the rail and the felt.

sounds retardobad
  • No one cares about your opinion GTA.

I care.
    I do.
    There's no one like you (GTA). :D
  • If anyone is heading here I would love to get my hands on some $1 chips from this place.
    I will pay a premium for your trouble.
    Also interested in chips from any of the Kahnawake card rooms.
    PM me if interested and I we can work something out.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    I care.
    I do.
    There's no one like you (GTA). :D
    yup 1 of a kind
  • yup 1 of a kind

Praise Jeebus . . .
  • I'm assuming drink and food service would be the same as at PG. what about hours? Are they 24 like PG or 12-6 or something?

I think this is really going to hurt snakes, there wasn't a lot of traffic there the few times I went before and all the cash tables cleared entirely once a trny started.

What are some of the locals opinions on how snakes will hold up now with more competition.

booo.:confused:
  • OS Kid wrote: »
    If anyone is heading here I would love to get my hands on some $1 chips from this place.
    I will pay a premium for your trouble.
    Also interested in chips from any of the Kahnawake card rooms.
    PM me if interested and I we can work something out.
    Cheers,
    Jeff

I'll be there either Tuesday or Monday night.
  • compuease wrote: »
    So what do you do there?

I played Black Jack :D So I guess anyone who is new to a forum is suspicious in some way. What if i said I hated it? Would you ask me the same question? I think not. I actually met a nice guy there after our game.
  • winwin wrote: »
    I actually met a nice guy there after our game.

handies?

#sickread
  • I was pointed to here by another member. I am in Montreal next weekend and thought about checking out the Stardust Poker Classic tournament. I hope it's possible just to watch. I am new to the game and can't afford to lose $1100. But think it'll be fun to watch.
  • Is the rake still super high at playground?
    Is Snakes still at $5 max rake?
    What's the rake at Stardust?
  • I'm pretty sure Snakes $5 cap was just a promotion for a limited time.

In that case (and I will check) rake in Kahnawake is pretty much universal: 1/2 = 10% max 8 plus jackpot drop 2/5 = 5% max 14 plus jackpot drop. No flop no drop, chopped pots are not raked.

Free meals and drinks for all cash players.

No one is going to compete on rake IMO.
  • Stardust Canadian Poker Classic will now count on Hendon

Stardust Canadian Poker Classic: Hendon Mob Poker Database

Get some flags!
  • I'm playing in day 1B of their monthly $165 tonight. Haven't qualified for the $1100 yet, but I hope to qualify next week.
  • Good for UFC fans I guess:

Stardust Poker (@Stardust_Poker)
    8/25/12 12:31 PM
    Some of our celebrities playing in the Canadian Poker Classic event are #UFC fighters @rory_macdonald @seanpierson @Ivanmenjivar #BIG #WOW

Just Asked if DNegs is playing, waiting for reply.

Finally figured it out, HUGE PR company for some big names handling their stuff. Well played Stardust, well played.

Now if I can get some field sizes for those looking to hop planes, that would be helpful. Me likes data.
  • 212 entries for their multiple start day $165. Just under five figures up top.
  • For anyone planning on hitting @Stardust_Poker @PokerStars $1,100 300k GTD, spoke today; less than 70 seats left.
    Gonna be a shut out. Book it!