What hurt my winning chances in last nights tourney..

Two hands played by KRT1 that I just couldn't understand.. The opportunity to bust an opponent should never be passed up when they're ultrashortstacked like that..

*********** # 197 **************
PokerStars Game #1222915526: Tournament #4709200, Hold'em No Limit - Level IX (300/600) -
2005/02/15 - 23:41:23 (ET)
Table '4709200 3' Seat #9 is the button
Seat 1: KRT1 (6370 in chips)
Seat 3: harthgosh (1062 in chips)
Seat 4: Gide_ (12712 in chips)
Seat 5: BBC Z (6784 in chips)
Seat 9: esool (18072 in chips) is sitting out
KRT1: posts the ante 50
harthgosh: posts the ante 50
Gide_: posts the ante 50
BBC Z: posts the ante 50
esool: posts the ante 50
KRT1: posts small blind 300
harthgosh: posts big blind 600
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to BBC Z [6c 2s]
esool has returned
Gide_: folds
BBC Z: folds
esool: folds
KRT1: folds
harthgosh collected 850 from pot
harthgosh: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 850 | Rake 0
Seat 1: KRT1 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: harthgosh (big blind) collected (850)
Seat 4: Gide_ folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: BBC Z folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: esool (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)lind) collected (1450)
Seat 4: Gide_ (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: BBC Z folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: esool folded before Flop (didn't bet)

How do you fold that one around against a BB with no chips and a random hand?

Then I benefitted from the play later on..

*********** # 226 **************
PokerStars Game #1222975218: Tournament #4709200, Hold'em No Limit - Level IX (300/600) -
2005/02/15 - 23:52:22 (ET)
Table '4709200 3' Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: KRT1 (9208 in chips)
Seat 3: harthgosh (25374 in chips)
Seat 4: Gide_ (9112 in chips)
Seat 5: BBC Z (1306 in chips)
KRT1: posts the ante 50
harthgosh: posts the ante 50
Gide_: posts the ante 50
BBC Z: posts the ante 50
BBC Z: posts small blind 300
KRT1: posts big blind 600
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to BBC Z [7s Ac]
harthgosh: folds
Gide_: folds
BBC Z: raises 656 to 1256 and is all-in
KRT1: folds
SirWatts [observer] said, "nice comback hg"
BBC Z collected 1400 from pot
BBC Z: doesn't show hand
stpboy77 [observer] said, "hey BBC...were you and magi at the same table at any time
tonight?"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1400 | Rake 0
Seat 1: KRT1 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: harthgosh folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: Gide_ (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: BBC Z (small blind) collected (1400)

These are automatic calls, even with something like 23o..

Comments

• The table was quite tight ... i recall becoming short stacked at the table after some coin flip hand. I then proceeded to go all-in three consecutive hands as the short stack, uncalled to get back to average chip stack.

But it was all for naught, damn you K9, who says they're a man's best friend.
  • Completely agree that in the first hand the SB should have min. raised to set HG in with any two cards, and in the second hand the BB should have called your all-in with any two cards.

I've made these pot odds calls at live tournaments and I've busted people with hands like 82o. That's not surprising... the surprising part is that sometimes, I can tell that some of my opponents are thinking: 'how could he call with THAT?!?'. And I'm thinking: 'if you don't know, you're not going to find out from me....'
  • SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

let em play how they wanna play :)
  • Evening everyone-

Excellent tourney last night - congrats to HG.

Thanks for the posts on my (poor) play - I need to hear these things.

I just started playing poker on the internet(UB) last fall when we finally got a home computer. I've read the poker books and have learned mainly from playing on-line. The poker forum has helped me greatly. I do not do very well at limit, so I've focused on no-limit sng's and tournaments. My bread and butter are the single table sng's($5+.50 on UB) where I consistently place in the money - in December placed in the money 8 games in a row, including 3 firsts. Tournaments ($1-5 on UB) have been okay - my best finishes have been 2/30(last night),3/423,7/767, 5/1005. I just haven't been able to win one...yet.

After the last tourney it was mentioned how I let my blinds go too easily - so I've worked on that part of my game. Now I will work on putting the short stacks all-in. Maybe with all this help I will finally win a tournament and more 1st places in the sng's! :biggrin:

I know that I have to constantly try to improve my game and any constructive criticism will only help - that is why I joined the forum, so give it to me with both barrels! ;)

Now, I'm going to play a sng at UB (defending my blinds and putting the short stacks all-in)
    Hmmm, I smell money. :D:D
  • You have a very good, very objective attitude about your game KRT, IMO. This is the first--and very important--step to becoming a long-term winning player. Best of luck to you.
  • Thanks Aces - I really appreciate any comments by all forum members.

btw- just finished 2nd in a $5 sng on UB (paid $15) :D:D