gg Jack Tramiel

Had both the Vic-20 and Commodore/64

For those who grew up as the personal computer was beginning to make its first appearances in homes and classrooms, the words "Commodore 64" have special resonance.

The early version of the personal computer was fun, educational and affordable and put digital technology in the hands of many, for the very first time.

Jack Tramiel, the founder of Commodore and the man who helped popularize the personal computer, died on Sunday at the age of 83, his son Leonard Tramiel has confirmed.

Commodore computer founder Jack Tramiel dies at 83 | CTV News

Comments

• I still have my Commodore 64, with the printer and hard drive. I even desgned a program to keep my Atari high scores on it. Favourite C-64 game was Lode Runner, where you can make your own mazes as well.

What a great introduction to personal computers.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    I still have my Commodore 64, with the printer and hard drive. I even desgned a program to keep my Atari high scores on it. Favourite C-64 game was Lode Runner, where you can make your own mazes as well.

Lode Runner on the 64 literally occupied days if not weeks of my life when I was a kid. Loved it.

Zork was also a favourite.
  • I remember playing Space Taxi, Bruce Lee and Hardball.

And let's not forget Impossible Mission.

People bitch about game load times now, the C64 had the slowest floppy drive of all time!
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    I still have my Commodore 64, with the printer and hard drive. I even desgned a program to keep my Atari high scores on it. Favourite C-64 game was Lode Runner, where you can make your own mazes as well.

Yep I made a good maze on my C-64 but it's lost in the ether now. RIP
  • Leisure suit Larry... and Pit fall, all time favs
  • Weird. I was trying to recall just this morning (before I even saw this thread) the old level games I liked to play on my PC (which were also ported from the Commodore 64).

I came up with Jumpman and Lemmings. Could not remember Lode Runner, which was the other game I trying to recall.

Must have been some weird cosmic force generated by his soul travelling to computer heaven that put those thoughts in my brain.

Lol from the web page comments:

10 print "R.I.P. Jack Tramiel."
    20 goto 10
    99 end

run

This site rocks:
    Welcome to OLD-COMPUTERS.COM !

Also:
    The Personal Computer Museum, Brantford, Ontario, CANADA
  • Not a 64, but I learned a little (VERY little) about computers on a Pet, and later spent literally an entire baseball season playing Earl Weaver's Baseball on an Amiga with my brother and 4 friends in a roto league we designed for it.
  • loadrunner, circa 80's, even runs on windows 7 64 bit.... lol.. I have personal knowledge..
  • linky please
  • My brother bought a used 64 for 750.00 18 years ago. It became my introduction to computers and loved the 128. I literal had to come kicking and screaming to the PC world. Very thankful for my introductions to computers.