Best GTA Phone/Data Plans?

Looking to upgrade to an iphone from my existing regular cell. What do you think of this plan offer? Its $50/month with 6GB of data, but must lock into three year plan. Not sure if there are any other local plans with better terms? Really want the iphone so I can tether with my ipad. Not too keen on the 3 year commitment or the excessive data charges. I'm told 6GB of data is tons but if you want to stream movies, its really not that much. Any plans offer unlimited data anymore?

- free iphone 4S
- 300/month minutes local calls, free on weekends and 6pm to 7am
- free call display and answering service
- unlimited texting (both incoming and outgoing)
- $5/MB if exceed 6GB (this is crazy, $5,000 charge if you use 7GB instead of 6GB one month)

Comments

• Are you really going to watch movies on your phone? Or is this for both ipad and iphone combined data usage?
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    - $5/MB if exceed 6GB (this is crazy, $5,000 charge if you use 7GB instead of 6GB one month)

sounds more like a prop bet than a phone plan to me
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Are you really going to watch movies on your phone? Or is this for both ipad and iphone combined data usage?

Would be streaming off ipad if I could get a plan with more data. Is 6GB enough monthly data? Also will use for Pstars when their app is available.
  • 6gb is a ton of cellular data, now if you plan to watch several movies per week streamed off of 3G then you will likely go over your limit.

Who will be your service provider? I know Rogers offers an app that shows you your current monthly usage which you can periodically check to make sure you are not going over your limits
  • UBetIFold wrote: »
    I know Rogers offers an app that shows you your current monthly usage which you can periodically check to make sure you are not going over your limits

I assume you can set it up with most providers that your data plan stops when you reach your limit to avoid excessive charges.
    I assume you can set it up with most providers that your data plan stops when you reach your limit to avoid excessive charges.

I am not aware of this at all. I believe it's up to you to know you are close and to refrain usage at that point. I may be wrong, never heard of it though

Rogers is only $5/500MB for overages on the 6GB plan.
    so 7GB would be $10 on overages
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Rogers is only $5/500MB for overages on the 6GB plan.
    so 7GB would be $10 on overages

what is their montly cost for their 6GB data plan?
    what is their montly cost for their 6GB data plan?

$60/month for data, plus whatever voice plan you choose
  • UBetIFold wrote: »
    I am not aware of this at all. I believe it's up to you to know you are close and to refrain usage at that point. I may be wrong, never heard of it though

This. No way in hell any carrier gives you an out like that. They'll take every penny they can (until 2014, then it will be every nickel) without your knowledge.
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    This. No way in hell any carrier gives you an out like that. They'll take every penny they can (until 2014, then it will be every nickel) without your knowledge.

They have apps that will tell you how much you've used, but they're usually have a lag of 2-3 days, so by the time you see you have reached your cap, you've already gone over it
  • I have a 512meg/month plan on my phone for $15.
    I find it's fine.

I do all my downloading to my home computer and have it autosync my phone.
    My home plan is 250gig/month + $1/Gig overage.
    I use about 200gig/month.

I'm with Fido.
    I pay about $30+15data /month
  • I'm with Fido.
    I pay about $30+15data /month

What do they charge if you go over your 0.5gb a month?
  • Jim, best phone I think for data all incoming and outgoing in Canada and USA, emailing, all internet usage. Zone from Ajax to Milton. Is Mobilcity. 45.20 a month for blackberry. Other phones are 5.00 per month cheaper. Bill is never a cent more. And if you go out of Zone .20 a minute. Had mine going on two years.