Another Table Poll

do you own a table? if you do, did you build it or buy it?

Comments

• Retail table are just too expensive but there's so nice... Its more fun to build a table then show it off at the next home game, get a few wows, especially when you put a rail on it...
  • Built mine! Fun project and probably the coolest physical thing I've built.

poker23.jpg
  • what's the coolest mental thing you've ever built?
    :lol:
  • Well I'm a programmer, so I've built many non-physical "things" :D
  • djw,

about how long did it take you to build your table, from start to finish? And the corollary: if you HAD to get it done in...say, a week, do you think you could?
  • You could make this table in an afternoon if you had the material.

20 minutes to cut the wood and sand.
    10 minutes to glue the underlay and then cut it to fit.
    10 minutes to staple it down tight.
    1 hour to wait for glue to dry.
    20-30 minutes to staple down the felt properly
    10 minutes to line up and attach the legs
    30 minutes to nail down the rubber railing

If you wanted to be slow and careful, you could make this in 1 day without a problem.
  • thanks for the reply djw.

And just 'cause I'm a pain...is this a complete materials list:

Materials:
    -Large sheet of plywood (thickness?)
    -Carpet underlay
    -Felt
    -Rubber Railing
    -Table legs
    -Table runners (to prevent warpage in the middle)
    -Drink holders (optional)

Equipment:
    -Buzzsaw
    -Sander
    -Staple gun
    -Glue gun
    -Hammer + Nails
    -Screws + Screwdriver

Also, where did you get your underlay?

Thanks!!! :)
  • Hahaha no problem!

Material:
      8x4 3/4" thick "good one side" plywood from Rona 9 feet of 1/4" thick underlay from home depot (flat one side) 9 feet of pool table felt from pool table store 1 can of spray on glue from home depot 1 set of table legs from home depot 8x4 3/4" thick plywood for second smaller oval under table for sturdiness (doesn't need to be good one side). 21 feet of rubber railing - ugh this was a killer... drink holders: none - no drinks on/near this baby.
    Equipment:
      Jig Saw Hand Sander Hammer Cordless Drill Some string to round out ends + measure outside length (for railing) Screws for legs and second smaller oval. LOTS of staples (9/16" (14mm) ) Hand Staple Gun 2 work benches so you can work on the 8x4 plywood (I used 3 tv tables lol) Carpentry Utility Knife (Olfa) - sharp: so you can cut excess underlay and felt easily Tape Measure
  • Costs:
      8"x4"x3/4' Plywood: $50 (Rona) X 2 1 Set of metal folding banquet table legs: $17 (Home Depot) 100 pack of screws: $2.59 (Home Depot) 400 pack of staples: $5.00 (Home Depot) 1 can of 3M spray glue: $7.00 (Home Depot) 108x72' 1/4" Carpet Underlay: $30 ( I think. Home Depot ) 100'x72' pool table felt: $130.00 ( AVO Recreation ) 1 Pool table felt brush: $9.00 ( AVO Recreation ) 21' Padded Rail: $260 or so ( OOOOUCH :oops: )

Total Cost: $560.99

You could cut costs down huge by using cheaper fabric and DEFINATELLY by sourcing out some cheap pipe insulation for the rail. I got hosed on the shipping for that item (around $110 USD for shipping - was more than the item). Also I wanted to use that second piece of wood for the underside of the table. I tried to build this table so that it was last though, only time will tell.

You planning on making these for a bit of a side job? hehe
  • Also, I've talked to someone about fabricating legs like this instead of the cheapy folding legs:

paulspoker1.gif

They might not be as polished as that, but he said material would probably be ~$100 and then some of his time (maybe a bottle of something he likes or whatever).

Once I have that, this table will be sturdy and should last quite a while.
  • Wow, thanks djw! Total help!!! Gold star for you. :)
  • djw wrote:
    You could make this table in an afternoon if you had the material.

20 minutes to cut the wood and sand.
    10 minutes to glue the underlay and then cut it to fit.
    10 minutes to staple it down tight.
    1 hour to wait for glue to dry.
    20-30 minutes to staple down the felt properly
    10 minutes to line up and attach the legs
    30 minutes to nail down the rubber railing

If you wanted to be slow and careful, you could make this in 1 day without a problem.

It only took me 3 weeks! :shock: :lol:
  • I also built a table in an afternoon. Probably about 4 hours, and the majority of that time was spent trying to figure out how to do my rail.

The key is to use proper tools and precision, and not to smoke too much cheebs and be drunk while you are using them.

I got a air-powered industrial staple gun, and it did the trik.

I used vinyl for the railing, and since my table in niether square nor round, it was a bitch to get the rail exact. But with my rudimentary math skillz (read: eyeballing) I figured it out.

theboyz.jpg
  • sheet - i posted an image, and it wa sup for a bit, but it keeps on disappearing...

i am not sure why?
  • You can't actually post here, you have to link to a remote image. THe reason it was up for a bit is because it was in your web browser cache. When the cache cleared, it dissapeared.

J
  • I don't think that's the problem, since it looks to me like that *is* a remote link to an image.

Also, when I tried refreshing my browser, I temporarily lose the image (but i don't lose all the other images). But then I can right click and choose "Show Picuture" and it magically re-appears. Sort of strange. I can see 99%+ if the forum pictures every time, but not this one.

ScottyZ
  • I don't have a poker table right now, but me and my bro are going to turn our old dinner table into a poker table this summer. Should be fun. I'll have pictures up when/if we finish.
  • i started my real money poker at the age of 18.. and we played on a cardboard box.. and that is where i learned my game.. a table is great to have but having ppl that are better than u or at the same level can greatly improve your game..
  • I voted for number 1!
    So Gamblar, if you read this! That is the surprise!
  • are u saying that u bought a poker table?