blind vs. blind

I have been doing some watching online of MTTs and SnGs and I'm wondering how you, the reader play when it gets folded around to you in the SB with just the BB left behind you.
I'm interested in the particular scenario where you have similar stacks give or take a couple of K or so and nowhere near the money yet.

From what I have seen, many times it's a one of two moves, 1) jam all in and pray the last remaining player doesn't have a monster (unless you yourself have a big hand too) and take down the blinds and antes or 2) fold and just get back into a favourable late position.

Do you ever limp and hope to see a cheap flop? I have seen this many times only to see the BB raise and take it down from there.
Do you shove only if you have 2 cards worth taking the risk with?
Do you shove with any two?
or do you just fold a so-so hand and wait for the button?

Comments

• I play the SBvBB different in MTT than I do in a 9man SNG.

In the MTT, If I have a raising hand, I raise. Same as I would from any other position. If I get called, 90% of the time, I c-bet. It works most of the time.

Sometimes, I will just call and if checked, will bet any flop. Again, it works most of the time. If I get played back it, BB hit the flop, and I just shut it down, unless I have a good draw and maybe even two overs.

SNGs are completely different. I try to not bet any chips, even completing the SB, without a hand.

Remember the BB has position on you, so if they are smart, they should use it to their advantage, but most don't.
  • depends very much on effective # of BB in stacks
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    depends very much on effective # of BB in stacks

This is very true. I was assuming both are still deep enough to see flops.
  • bvb 10 bbs or less with or without antes vs non reg I'm shoving ATC and not thinking about it. If someone has shown that they will call loose then ill toss my off suit junk but still shove 96oish.

if i have 34o and its getting late game and its a passive player who is playing tight around bubbles ill just min raise. If we are really short and hes quite bad ill limp and cbet any flop with really bad cards.....otherwise ill just jam.

If i have more bbs then ill min raise most hands unless theyre really good are really cally/spewy (If they are good or cally ill pick suited stuff and broadway/aces/pairs). And ill cbet flop i hit, or if i miss then ones that are hard to hit..... like k24 or J77.

Whenever you go up against a really spewy/loose/aggressive sb and your in the bb remember what its like. Even though you're in position its hard to call a bet pre and a bet on the flop with out hitting something-use that against people when you're in the sb.

Key is to bet just enough but not too much, and really pick your boards.

If someone limps the sb 10bbs or less and isn't a reg ill jam atc from the bb, and so will regs.
  • Would depend on a few things. Table dynamic is one, is it playing more like poker or bingo. If like poker, just calling is fine. If like bingo, and you dont want to gamble with the cards dealt, fold. Your table image is another. Will BB believe your call or raise in this spot. If you raise every other hand and 3-bet often etc, the blinds wont be easily snatched. I would say, if your nor sure, you cant go wrong in playing your hand instead of the player in this spot.
  • Definitely depends on table dynamics.

If it's the first time this has happened, I'm raising ATC. Better to do some investigating when you have enough chips to do so, rather than have to guess later on when you raise him and he comes back at you.

Agree with dj about pretty much betting any flop. If BB calls flop, I'm betting pretty much any turn card. I play stupidly low stakes, so I'm not sure how it changes higher up. Players seem to like snap or quick calling any cbet on the flop, but insta fold any turn bet.
  • if someone minraises me BvB and I'm in the BB I take it personally lol. I'll probably flat atc
  • personally I tell you, I had a bit of a read on this tho

OnGame - 10.00+1.00|250/500 NL - Holdem - 8 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4: PokerTracker

Hero (BB): 10,519.00
    UTG: 3,020.00
    UTG+1: 9,914.00
    MP: 7,760.00
    MP+1: 11,130.00
    CO: 5,631.00
    BTN: 4,050.00
    SB: 12,100.00

SB posts ante 50.00, Hero posts ante 50.00, UTG posts ante 50.00, UTG+1 posts ante 50.00, MP posts ante 50.00, MP+1 posts ante 50.00, CO posts ante 50.00, BTN posts ante 50.00, SB posts SB 250.00, Hero posts BB 500.00

Pre Flop: (pot: 1150.00) Hero has 3h 9s

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to 1,000.00, Hero calls 500.00

Flop: (2400.00, 2 players) Ad 6c Kd
    SB bets 500.00, Hero calls 500.00

Turn: (3400.00, 2 players) 4c
    SB bets 1,000.00, Hero calls 1,000.00

River: (5400.00, 2 players) 8h
    SB bets 2,000.00, Hero raises to 7,969.00 and is all-in, fold

Hero wins 9,400.00