:mad: I need COMPUTER HELP!!!!

I was working in word 2010. i finished a paper and saved it to a flash drive. Then I take a second flash drive that is identical as the first drive except a day prior. I then copy one drive to the next to bring them both to same standing. I keep them in seperate places because I don't want to lose my material. Anyway I made a mistake and copied the older material overtop of the new material so I lost a whole weekends worth of work.

Here is my question:

1) Will the server at my work have a copy of the file at the last time I saved it?

2) There is nothing that can be done with the flash drive right right? To get my document back.

Thanks for any input.

Hopefully I didnt was 20 hours worth of work.

Brent

Comments

• I was working in word 2010. i finished a paper and saved it to a flash drive. Then I take a second flash drive that is identical as the first drive except a day prior. I then copy one drive to the next to bring them both to same standing. I keep them in seperate places because I don't want to lose my material. Anyway I made a mistake and copied the older material overtop of the new material so I lost a whole weekends worth of work.

Here is my question:

1) Will the server at my work have a copy of the file at the last time I saved it?

2) There is nothing that can be done with the flash drive right right? To get my document back.

Thanks for any input.

Hopefully I didnt was 20 hours worth of work.

Brent

Brent, if you can possibly get the flash drive that originally had your newer copy on it I "may" be able to get it back. I have some pretty sophisticated software that may have a chance of recovering it. Also depending on exactly what you have done with the server it may be in temp files however I would need access to that server to figure it out. Not using either the flash drive nor server in the meantime would give me a better chance. Will send you a pm with my cell # now.
  • compuease wrote: »
    Brent, if you can possibly get the flash drive that originally had your newer copy on it I "may" be able to get it back. I have some pretty sophisticated software that may have a chance of recovering it. Also depending on exactly what you have done with the server it may be in temp files however I would need access to that server to figure it out. Not using either the flash drive nor server in the meantime would give me a better chance. Will send you a pm with my cell # now.

Good on ya sir. I was going to reply last night, well this morning, but your skillz are far superior to mine and had a feeling you would jump in.

go go go! good luck guys
  • FYI, spoke to Brent this afternoon, and he says that he directly dragged and dropped the old files over top of the new ones so that makes it more unlikely I can get them back from the flash drive. I likely could get them from the server he created it on but his work would have to ok that obv... He is going to speak to the IT guy there and if he is fairly competent should be able to help... If not I am still willing to give the flash drive recovery an effort.
  • I know hindsight is 20/20 or better but I would suggest versioning in the future. just do an incremental uptick on a numbering scheme say document_v1.0.doc , document_v1.1.doc etc. attached to the end of the file name but before the extension.

I keep about 3-4 copies depending on the doc.

good luck with the recovery!
  • that is a good idea, i was so paranoid about losing it, i screwed myself. the IT guy did not get back to me so I don't know what gives with that. I will try him when I go to afternoons next week. based on my conversation with jeff i am assuming it is done although i will not use the flash drive until i speak with Jeff.

Thanks
    Brent
  • Hard to get good IT guys... lol...
  • Hope you get your data back. If it makes you feel any better I know of a situation where an outsourcing company employee copied Development over Production and took down a bank for a day. It happens....once.
  • literation wrote: »
    Hope you get your data back. If it makes you feel any better I know of a situation where an outsourcing company employee copied Development over Production and took down a bank for a day. It happens....once.

i really appreciate the support. The IT never got back to me after 3 days of trying. Then I find out they are moving me out of here. Don't know if the too are related or not. I was talking with Jeff and told him I was able to rewrite the material in about have the time. Guess I understood what I was doing. Oh well off to find another job. Wish they had wait just 3 more months I would have finished my degree and been out of here anyway. Maybe umpiring will hold me over until I finish. The jail I use to work at outside of Kitchener might have room for me again, so that would mean a move back to KW and looking for a room to rent.

Hopefully will see everyone at the RC

Prophet 22