Mississauga North Poker Tournament

Folks,

Mississauga North Baseball/Softball is hosting a Texas Hold'em Poker Tournament and Euchre Tournament.

Date: May 5, 2012
Tickets: $45 (includes initial $2,000 buy-in and buffet dinner)
  • Tournament starts @ 8pm Sharp
  • Seating: 7:30pm
  • Dinner served @ 7:00pm
  • Minimum First Prize Poker: $1,000.00
  • Minimum First Prize Euchre: $250.00
**$1,000 first prize will be awarded regardless of number of players**

Rebuys $20 & final top-up $20 for $2,000, $40 for $5,000
Rebuys and top-ups until cut-off time at 10:30pm!

Also if you want to play with your friend, you can reserve and buy a starting table of 8 for your group.

Cash Bar

We will also be raffling off a seat at the final table with a average table stake.

Door Prizes, 50/50 raffle and chances to win cash or prizes all night long!

This is a fundraiser & promises to be a fun event.

You can e-mail me at rmdagnon@rogers.com or call me at 647-808-1169 for tickets or PM me.

Comments

• Not sure if I like the idea of raffling off a final table seat. I'd hate to have made it to final table only to have the raffle winner get a few lucky hands and win the tournament.

My opinion.
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    Not sure if I like the idea of raffling off a final table seat. I'd hate to have made it to final table only to have the raffle winner get a few lucky hands and win the tournament.

My opinion.

For sure, but to an extent, live is all about chances. We aim to make this a fun event and more about playing some good games at nice venue and raising some money for the kids.

You can look at it another way too - if you get a bad draw or happen to get sucked out - you have a chance to get back to that final table.

Regardless of whether they won there way there or got lucky on the draw - what you described could happen.

Just my thoughts.
  • This all sounds vaguely familiar, and please stop spamming this tourney via PMs . . .
  • Milo,

Not sure why you feel the need to be so negative.

As I said in my PM replying to your threats - I picked a few of the more active members that seemed to be respected on the board to see if they might help me with promoting this tournament.

If that stepped over some line, to promote a poker tournament on a poker forum to poker players - I'm sorry, but it seemed reasonable to me. Sure you must promote your games and tournaments in some way.

As for your threats to post my name and number on facebook and get people to call me at hours of the day and night - you know, on that PM you sent me threatening me - I already posted my name and phone number - so I say fill your boots friend.
  • Were people on here getting unsolicited pm's re this?
  • compuease wrote: »
    Were people on here getting unsolicited pm's re this?

affirmative captain
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    affirmative captain

will ban..
  • Not needed comp. I explained that such things are verboten here. The "threat" mentioned by the OP was basically me asking how he would like it if I spread his cellie number to everyone I could possibly think of, and asked for calls at all hours to be sent. He did not take the sarcasm well, so i explained in a more reasoned fashion how he had overstepped. Let it go . . . I doubt he will be back/do it again. If I'm wrong, whack hime from your Playbook.
  • First, I'm sorry if the 6 or 8 messages I sent out annoyed anyone - that is not what I intended.

Thanks Milo, for sticking up for a new guy.

I don't think 6 or 8 messages qualify as spam, but my apologies anyway.

I read a bunch of threads and different posts and identified about 6 or 8 folks on the board that I thought might be able to help me promote my tournament and reached out to them.

As stated above - I was very upfront about what I had done.

I guess this board is very sensitive about "unsolicited PM", (not quite sure I fully understand what an unsolicited PM is on a public forum, but OK - I'll take your lead on this).

What I really wanted to do was build awareness and get the word out on a poker tournament that is happening - on a poker forum site - didn't think it was over the line - but ok, if you say so - I'll take my spanking and move on.

Well in any event - I'll move on and not bother anyone any further.

If anyone is interested in helping us get the word out and can help us sell some tickets, we would be happy to compensate you for your effort with a free ticket to the event.

We are new to this and just want to get the word out to networks like this.
  • Do you have any idea how many charity tournaments go through here in a month? lol. This is a sophisticated seasoned poker crowd who will support a "close to home" charity but the nameless charities supporting some "unkowns" kids sports team, generally dont cut it, unless it is one of our regular contributors.
    There is no intrinisic value for a poker player playing a charity tournament where typically >50% of the proceeds are raked..
  • First, no I don't have any idea, but the treads announcing the tournaments must be deleted, because the last one I see in Mississauga was from last year.

It isn't an unnamed charity with unnamed kids - I clearly said Mississauga North Baseball/Softball - we are an organization that has been serving Mississauga for over 40 years offering Rep and House League Baseball & Softball program for kids from 4 to 23 - boys and girls.

The other interesting thing about what you said is, yes the huge upside of a cash game isn't here, but for $45 you can come out - have some dinner - play some poker and have a smile and a laugh along the way.

That is a reasonable night out and I would be willing to beat that there are a good number of your members that might just be interested in something like that - but I guess time will tell.

I also put my name and phone number - in both my post and my PM's - so it wasn't like I was trying to hide - quite to the contrary.

Look, nothing is for everyone - but I put myself out there - but it is obvious from the harsh - negative response that you folks aren't open to it.

We will be having a good tournament and someone will be walking out with $1,000 in there pocket. Mark the date on your calender and see if you wind-up the night $1,000 ahead that night.

One way to look at it is, you might have the opportunity to shot some fish in a barrel, because I'm sure none of our folks will be poker experts like the folks on this board.

Just me thinking outloud.
  • You invited the harsh response by pm'ing folks unsolicited. Definitely against forum rules if you had bothered to check. However no harm done, good luck with your fundraising, doubt you will get much response from here unless someone has a kid or a relative playing ball in Mississauga.
  • Just my opinion, but I don't think kids' sports teams qualify as charities.

I'd love to be able to host a tourney and pay for my kids' to play sports out of the rake.

Let me know when you are raising money for a real charitable organization.
  • Do I get a tax receipt?
  • When pm~ing become a crime? Too much big brothering imo.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    When pm~ing become a crime? Too much big brothering imo.

You want any advertiser coming on here and mass pm'ing members? Really?
    How about all the electronic/clothing/knockoff advertisers that currently get blocked before you ever see it? Really want that?

Wonder how others feel about it?
  • I remember the good old days when you could not PM until you had made multiple posts. Maybe going back to that will stop this from happening. I do not blame original poster for trying though. I like people who think outside the box.
  • Buzzzardd wrote: »
    I remember the good old days when you could not PM until you had made multiple posts. Maybe going back to that will stop this from happening. I do not blame original poster for trying though. I like people who think outside the box.

Shouldn't you be posting a tournament of your own? I'm suffering withdrawal from your basement.
  • Shouldn't you be posting a tournament of your own? I'm suffering withdrawal from your basement.

Still under the weather.
  • <- No PM for me.

I feel left out. :(
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    <- No PM for me.

I feel left out. :(

For all his other faults the guy had good taste, didn't want a$$holes at his tournament.. ;)

affectionately yours... the managment..:p
  • compuease wrote: »
    You want any advertiser coming on here and mass pm'ing members? Really?
    How about all the electronic/clothing/knockoff advertisers that currently get blocked before you ever see it? Really want that?

Wonder how others feel about it?

he is just looking to support a local team with a poker tournament. Not a retailer spammer which is a big difference. Just think you guys can pull the trigger and ban people too easily. Guess its up to the owner of this site, whether he wants you to have that much control or not. Personally I think we should be supporting local tournaments, not breaking his balls because he pm a couple active members to get their support. Granted, maybe he went about it the wrong way.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    he is just looking to support a local team with a poker tournament. Not a retailer spammer which is a big difference. Just think you guys can pull the trigger and ban people too easily. Guess its up to the owner of this site, whether he wants you to have that much control or not. Personally I think we should be supporting local tournaments, not breaking his balls because he pm a couple active members to get their support. Granted, maybe he went about it the wrong way.

Do you know how few actually get banned? I can't recall ever banning someone who later proved out to be a legit contributing member. Just doesn't happen. This guy hasn't been banned and it would have been absolutely fine if he just posted his tournament. It was the pm'ing that is not kosher same as every other forum I am aware of.