Tablet or laptop

Been using my work laptop to play online now for a year. Time to get my own. What is everyone using a laptop, a tablet, if either what do you like about what you use. I like the laptop but have never used a tablet so really interested in comments good and bad from tablet users.

Thanks.

Comments

• While I like tablets, actually the Playbook is my favorite, they will never replace a laptop or a real pc.. If poker is going to be an important, serious app you will need a pc of some sort. If it's just email, surfing, movies, etc then a tablet is fine...
  • Here we go :D
    I'll just say this, I was working with a person in the field the other day(vehicle), he had a tablet, I had a netbook. It was funny watching him having to hold his tablet with one hand the whole time, and then when he had to type on the virtual keypad it was even funnier, setting it down flat on his lap, all hunched over staring straight down at the screen trying to two finger type. Tablets would be great, if they had a keyboard, a lid that closed over the screen so it didn't get scratched, had some storage, etc etc, but then it would just be a laptop ??? The tablet is a fad in my opinion, an inferior product with so many shortcomings it isn't funny...but marketed perfectly...so the masses bought them in droves just to be part of the next big thing. As for poker, not a chance I would want to hold a tablet in one hand the whole time while finger pointing with the other hand for a long session. You'll be dreaming of having a nice laptop on a desk or your lap using a mouse and having a keyboard after about half an hour.
  • tablet of course~!!!!!!!Of course laptop can be used at home or office, but tablet can be used everywhere, and some many software can make me full of joyfulment.
  • My spies tell me:

Ipad 3 will come out on March 7.
    It will be $80 more than the Ipad2
    It will have quaduple resolution screen.
    quad core processor.
    more storage.

So wait six days and then make a decision.
  • lol, good spies, tis all over the net.

iPad 3 Could Cost More: Report - Mobile and Wireless - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

Can't believe that lemmings will pay $800. ish for a 64GB ipad when you can get a real nice higher end laptop for the same.. IMO a 64GB Playbook at $300. is a far better value choice...
    Windows 8 tablets in the fall may be better to wait for if you really want to pay that much for one.
  • compuease wrote: »
    lol, good spies, tis all over the net.

iPad 3 Could Cost More: Report - Mobile and Wireless - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

Can't believe that lemmings will pay $800. ish for a 64GB ipad when you can get a real nice higher end laptop for the same.. IMO a 64GB Playbook at $300. is a far better value choice...
    Windows 8 tablets in the fall may be better to wait for if you really want to pay that much for one.

Great, so now Microsoft is making another piece of crap that will crash, barely work and piss me off?

In all seriousness, I've never had the problems with Windows that I've seen other people moan about, but it's probably the fact that I am at best a simple user.
    lol, good spies, tis all over the net.

And here I was trying to be nice, referring to the lemmings as 'the masses' in my post :D. The lemmings will buy the new overpriced, underspec, low storage ipad (with a very very very high resolution screen...lol) in droves....and sadly, most of those lemmings will already have an ipad 2. It really shows the dumbing down of society :-\
  • SuperNed wrote: »
    And here I was trying to be nice, referring to the lemmings as 'the masses' in my post :D.
    I don't have to be nice... I'm old.
  • Guess SuperNed has NEVER bought anything cause he wanted to have it.
  • Link to what I think is a pretty good comparison between the ipad and the playbook including the latest O/S's... Have at it boys, but lets see some real thought out posts and opinions...

http://crackberry.com/ipad-2-vs-playbook-20-ultimate-tablet-smackdown
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Guess SuperNed has NEVER bought anything cause he wanted to have it.

Of course I have Hobbes, I've just never in my life seen such an inferior piece of limited functionality overprice technology be eaten up by the masses in such a ridiculous way. If Steve Jobs hadn't introduced it to the lemmings and say hp or Sony came out with the exact same product, it would have been yawned at for it's shortcomings and already been a thing of the past. I don't mean to offend anyone, and for some people with the funds to blow it's probably a nice toy...but not even close to as functional as a netbook / laptop. They say Steve Jobs could have sold the lemming shit on a stick if he wanted to....and sold the exact same people shit on a stick six months later by adding bits of corn...lol. In all honesty, the Ipad would be fine, if it was 200 gigs and about 300 bucks...and a newer slightly upgraded version didn't come out every 8 months to be resold to the lemmings. It is...as they say a sign of the dumbing down of society (in my honest opinion and no offense to anyone who feels otherwise).
  • The playbook seems like a decent piece of equipment, released a little too early in the development stage and still suffering from not enough storage, but at least the price is reasonable for what you get.
    The playbook seems like a decent piece of equipment, released a little too early in the development stage and still suffering from not enough storage, but at least the price is reasonable for what you get.

Actually it has the same as the current ipad, 16, 32 or 64GB. Just bought a 32GB today. Will give you guys a review when I have played with it a day or two.. One of my sons and a friend have them. Was going to get a 64GB but they were sold out. I have 14 days to decide on whether to keep it or not.. $249. for the 32GB.
    In the process of upgrading the OS to V2 at the moment.
  • Posting from our playbook now. Need to test the ban hammer. Any volunteers?
  • BTP for not Bapping out GBH? :D
    Posting from our playbook now. Need to test the ban hammer. Any volunteers?

I would actually be interested in how poker is on it from an 'on the fence' person such as yourself. Can you play pokerstars etc on it, and if so, how is it? Betting, chatting, inputing certain bet amounts etc. I would guess there is huge room for an 'oops' error due to the generalization of the touch aspect of it but really have no idea. Bringing up the keyboard to type anything would cover a good portion of the screen wouldn't it?
    I would actually be interested in how poker is on it from an 'on the fence' person such as yourself. Can you play pokerstars etc on it, and if so, how is it? Betting, chatting, inputing certain bet amounts etc. I would guess there is huge room for an 'oops' error due to the generalization of the touch aspect of it but really have no idea. Bringing up the keyboard to type anything would cover a good portion of the screen wouldn't it?

Stars doesn't have a mobile app for Canada as yet so that won't work afaik. Will try a mobile site when I get a chance if I can find one.

Pokerstars going Mobile in 2012 | Fast Poker Deals
  • Oh ok. All my negativity aside, I was thinking tablets could run most programs like a pc/mac/laptop. So an ipad for instance can't run mac applications/programs unless there is a mobile app? I thought people could play pokerstars etc on ipads. I think many people are under the impression they are more like a computer and less like a large version of a touch screen cell phone.
    Oh ok. All my negativity aside, I was thinking tablets could run most programs like a pc/mac/laptop. So an ipad for instance can't run mac applications/programs unless there is a mobile app? I thought people could play pokerstars etc on ipads. I think many people are under the impression they are more like a computer and less like a large version of a touch screen cell phone.

Well a windows based tablet is more like a computer, however much less powerful.. The 4 main tablets are the Playbook running QNX, the Ipad running IOS 5, Windows 7 tablets and all the rest running the Android O/S.
    Which one you use is totally dependant on your needs and budget.
  • The Commodore 64 is by far the most advanced piece of computer equipment on the market today. You'll never EVER need more than 128K...Bill Gates confirms this. Its more computer than you'll ever need and beats the Commodore PET hands down.

Oh...sorry...thought I was stuck in 1979 there for a minute
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    The Commodore 64 is by far the most advanced piece of computer equipment on the market today. You'll never EVER need more than 128K...Bill Gates confirms this. Its more computer than you'll ever need and beats the Commodore PET hands down.

Oh...sorry...thought I was stuck in 1979 there for a minute

Don't be hating on the Commodore! If need be just download a C64 emulator (on a pc or laptop, not a tablet obviously :p)....and lose yourself in some Jumpman, Hover Bovver, or B.C.s Quest for Tires :D
    In all seriousness, those emulators are quite fun...for those who used to use those old computers and arcade games. Basically turns your pc into whatever system or arcade cabinet you want. If you get really bored you can write a few lines in BASIC and make your name fill the C64 screen ^-^
  • Lode Runner on the C64..>>>>..addiction

BCs Quest for Tires was also a pretty good game.

Also Summer Games and Hardball.
  • What I really want isn't out yet.
    I want a super high resolution OLED screen.
    Long battery life and high power.
    A good keyboard.
    A powerful graphics processor.
    22 nanometer or smaller processor.
    Light weight.
    2 TB of storage

I want the next generation of ultrabooks.

But the closest today seem to be the AMD A8-3870K based laptops.
    4 cores @3 Ghz and an integrated Radeon HD 6550D. for about $550.

But I don't want that. I want it when they shrink the die to 22 nanometer for better performance and less heat, longer battery and put an OLED high res screen in it.
  • What I really want isn't out yet.
    I want a super high resolution OLED screen.
    Long battery life and high power.
    A good keyboard.
    A powerful graphics processor.
    22 nanometer or smaller processor.
    Light weight.
    2 TB of storage

I want the next generation of ultrabooks.

But the closest today seem to be the AMD A8-3870K based laptops.
    4 cores @3 Ghz and an integrated Radeon HD 6550D. for about $550.

But I don't want that. I want it when they shrink the die to 22 nanometer for better performance and less heat, longer battery and put an OLED high res screen in it.

I know you're typing English, but i have no idea what you just said. I am going to go play Tetris now . . . :-[
  • C=64 is goot enough
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    Lode Runner on the C64..>>>>..addiction

BCs Quest for Tires was also a pretty good game.

Also Summer Games and Hardball.

Many a night in public school was spent with the guys playing Summer Games....Winter Games etc. Great fun with such basic games....ok...enough nostalgia...lol
  • Actually, I think it IS possible to play poker on the PB, though I havent tried it yet, and it seems maybe a tad sketchy.... but I downloaded an app called splashtop streamer. Allows you to remotely connect to your computer/laptop/whatever. I have tried lots of other apps like PT4 and they all seem to work. Dont wanna push my luck at work and try to open the stars client though....
    Many a night in public school was spent with the guys playing Summer Games....Winter Games etc. Great fun with such basic games....ok...enough nostalgia...lol

Olympic decathalon destroyed my apple iie keyboard.
  • So a Commodore 64 x 4 (to make it a quad 4) with 2 TB of storage all compacted into a tablet (or should it be 6 tablets so I have a huge screen and can play 8 tables at once, hmmmmm?) that is attached to a keyboard and/or mouse, that has winter/summer games preloaded and my fav's, pitfall and centepede.
    Sounds like a plan.... lol