Montreal Party Poker Classic (New Thread)

Alright, upwards and onwards!

Getting back to basics, we know Blondefish is heading out, any other PFCers?

When you read this BF, which sat did you play (BI, field size, number of packages awarded?)

Some made the trip to Montreal last year, Playgrounds auto 100k BBJ nearby might sweeten the deal for some.

To recap, proceeds will benefit Heriditary Breast/Ovarian Cancer Research, best promo pages regarding the details of charity event, prize-pool etc can be found here: Home

Event takes place March 25th-28th in Montreal, is sponsered by PartyPoker, some pros will be in attendance. $275 Buy-In, 5000 chips with $125 re-buys if under t5000 for first 4 levels. Freerolls and other satellites running on PartyPoker now. ALL Players must have a PartyPoker Account to be eligible for prizing, regardless if they just buy in at event.

More structure/detail info here: Tournament Information

Tournament plays down to top 20 who will will fly to Vegas, with hotel accommodations included to play to completion.

Final 10 will play the $10,300 World Poker Tour 5 Diamond at Bellagio. 1st is valued at $25,000.

Looks like 40 places will pay, starting at $500. All prizing paid through players Party Poker accounts. If you don't have one >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

More details on prizing here: Prize Pool

Comments

• Not going this year
  • I would imagine if they held it over a weekend they'll get more players.
  • I'm in Montreal so I'll most likely play - but for sure I'm trying to win a package to lighten the load a bit. This might be the highest variance tournament I ever play, so anything to inoculate myself from that is very worthwhile.
  • I will be going, gonna try and sat in as well, but am not relying on that and will likely just buy into it

I also went last year, played day 1C, made day 2 but busted out early, overall fun event.

The FTP pros will be alot better then what party provides from last year but that's ok
  • I'll be saving my Montreal trip for Deepstacks Tour in the Fall
  • those are some pretty decent prizes. How many players they expecting to fund a $200k prize pool? or there are a lot of rebuys. Can this place handle 500 players?
  • One thing I noticed -> and it is an important distinction if you are planning to play.

OP said that you could rebuy whenever you were under the starting stack on 5000 chips, but the website says that you can do it at starting stack or under, which means "double rebuys" are allowed.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    those are some pretty decent prizes. How many players they expecting to fund a $200k prize pool? or there are a lot of rebuys. Can this place handle 500 players?

Last year each day one held 500 with only 100 of each night advancing, so a total of 300 for day 2
  • Seen a commercial run at least 3 times last night for this, Saskatchewan channel I believe.

Wonder if they put these on YouTube, couldn't find. It's a bit cheesy but looks like they will be going hard on promotion end.

BlondeFish, you seen or heard any body talking about this on 2+2? can't ever find anything there.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    those are some pretty decent prizes. How many players they expecting to fund a $200k prize pool?
    As I explained in my EV analysis, this will be hugely -EV like other charity events. Up to 1,500 people will go because most poker playas just wanna have fun spending money.

When I added up the fixed prizes, it was only $175K instead of $200K so this can be one of the questions you want to ask them before you register. Unfortunately, the top prizes are to a US tournament with the dreaded 30% withholding and 400 pros in December (instead of lots of amateurs at the summer WSOP ME).
  • jontm wrote: »
    When you read this BF, which sat did you play (BI, field size, number of packages awarded?)
    I started with the Step 1 qualfier, $0.80+$0.20. I would rarely play anything with a 20% rake, but I figured it's better than the much higher rake of buying in directly to the unlimited rebuy event. I won a $6 entry to the next step.

However, PartyPoker made the blunder of not allowing multiple winners unlike all their other satellite packages (e.g., WSOP ME package winners could keep playing to try to win another package), which reduces the liquidity. There were not enough players at the $6 step (or even $1) to generate a single entry to the final $55 step. When I played the final step, there were 2 packages guaranteed ($1K total) but only a few players bought in, so there was a huge overlay and I almost folded my way to winning one of the two packages!

As I posted before, there are also a bunch of free packages to be won through RHPT, CP, Poker Show, etc.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    As I explained in my EV analysis, this will be hugely -EV like other charity events. Up to 1,500 people will go because most poker playas just wanna have fun spending money.

When I added up the fixed prizes, it was only $175K instead of $200K so this can be one of the questions you want to ask them before you register. Unfortunately, the top prizes are to a US tournament with the dreaded 30% withholding and 400 pros in December (instead of lots of amateurs at the summer WSOP ME).

Never mind, confused myself, deleted my reply
  • Hey BF, out of curiosity, how many entries were in the $50+5 sat?

I noticed on there site they run the direct sats on Wednesdays and sundays. Which one did you play in

I also played the $5.50+0.50 sat into the direct but there was only 4 of us total, lol, so no entries were awarded, it ended up being a 4man sng with bad payouts
  • Just bubbled the $50+5 direct sat, 18 runners, 2 seats gtd