Limp in with a monster analysis

Playing in a satellite tournament at my house the other day this hand came up. Top 3 players get an entry into a $100 buy-in event. We are passed the re-buy and add-on period and 14/22 players remain. I have an average stack of about 3000. I have re-bought and added on and my total investment so far is $20.

Blinds are 150/300

I'm UTG with KhKc (3000TC) and limp in
*Im trying a few different things with my game, limping in with a monster is one of them*
UTG+1 calls (4000TC) (tight player that has not been hitting flops)
UTG+2 calls (6000TC) (very aggressive player, he actually wanted to raise but put it back because he was called for string betting)
BB checks

Flop 7d 8d 3h

BB checks
I bet out 600
UTG+1 raises to 1200
UTG+2 thinks and just calls 1200
BB folds
I think about it and raise all-in, right play here?????
UTG+1 re-raises all-in
UTG+2 calls

I say "wow, I'm going to really like the way I played this hand or really hate it!"

What do my two opponents have? And is this just a brutal way to play Kings Under the gun or no? Honestly, our table was raising a tonne pre-flop and I was hoping for that to happen again, if not for a string bet it would have.

Thanks in advance,
stp

Comments

• Well only because of the nature of the players. I think that utg+1 has a set (7 or 8) ... UTG+2 has JJ or is a really really agressive player and has AJs in diamonds.
  • *Im trying a few different things with my game, limping in with a monster is one of them*

I think you are going to find that you will win a few more chips some of the time, and then bust out to the SB and BB's rag two pair/sets etc all of the time. Having established no strength preflop, you have no way of understanding: 1) where your opponents are when they bet and 2) Where your opponents think YOU are when they bet.
  • I personally believe that slow playing a monster is more effective when you have the advantage of position. I would be very worried about the UTG+1 player making a set or top two pair here. You are drawing very thin if this is the case. I would be more inclined to make an opening raise here of about $500. Yes, everyone may fold and your dream of a big pot is gone, but if someone calls or reraises you, you can force them into becoming pot committed pre-flop. You will be a favorite against everything but AA. I like those odds much better, especially when I am the shorter stack to a tight player with position on me like UTG+1.
  • I think that limping in here pre-flop is fine. You're on a somewhat short stack, but not quite in "must move in pre-flop" territory. You can afford to take more risk than usual with a premium hand (i.e. by not raising pre-flop) if you think it will greatly improve your returns.

However, in terms of this particular hand, I do think you are in "must move in (at some point)" if no Ace falls.*

On the flop, I would simply move in. I prefer checking instead of making a small bet, but only if you believe you can trap someone on the flop for all of your chips. On this draw happy board, I don't want a free (or cheap**) turn card coming off in a hand (now that no Ace has fallen) I am seeing to the end.

As for the "guess the hands section", I'll say that UTG+1 has 66 and UTG+2 has an overpair.

ScottyZ

*I don't mean that folding is automatic if an Ace falls, but it is one option that is available depending on the action.

**That is, cheap enough to offer a drawing hand sufficient pot/implied odds to draw out against me.
  • I like what was said about considering my position when making this type of play. Although if I did have position on these two players they could have potentially made my call that much tougher if they were both all in before it got to me.

If an ace did fall on the flop or it was much scarier then it was I was willing to get rid of it, that's part of the whole "trying new things with my game". There were a few points made about maximizing my return with a play like this and me NOT knowing what my opponents could have because everyone limped in. I agree that I will at times lose more to garbage hands and other times win huge pots because my opponents can't put me on a hand either. This was the case here.

I feel as though I'm beat at this point when both players call me BUT

UTG+1 Flips over Kd9d
    UTG+2 Flips over Ad 8c
    I show my Kings

Turn Qc

River 3c

Like I said, I would really love the way I played the hand or really hate it. In this case it lead me to victory but I'm not sure my nerves can take much more of that. I'll have to put that play away for a few weeks I think.

stp