Help Windows 7 Networking

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Windows 7 networking is so FUCKING RETARDED.

XP worked just fine. I never had any problems with it. Ever since I started adding Win 7 machines to my network I started having difficulties but always managed to get things connected and working.

So I finally ditched my last XP computer. So you would think now all my Win 7 devices would talk to each other. NOT!

FUCK ME. ACTUALY NO - FUCK YOU WINDOWS 7!!!

STUPID WINDOWS HOME GROUP. USELESS FUCKING RETARDED SETUP. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE EASIER?!?!?!?!!???

I'm not a moron. When I go into Control Panel - Network and Sharing, it shows that the computers all belong to a homegroup. They all show the same homegroup password, yet they don't talk. They all have public sharing turned on, they all have file and printer sharing turned on, yet I can't 'see' the printer connected to my win 7 desktop from two win 7 laptops. So I can not network print from my laptop because I can't add the FUCKING PRINTER.

I can see the desktop from my laptop in Network from file manager, yet if I try to access the files it asks for a User Name and Password. WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Googling the solution in this case does not work because the question is so generic the answers are all useless. For example 'how do I add a network printer' just gives me the instructions I already know to follow. I don't know why the printer will not show up. I also don't know why it is asking me for a user name and password when I try to access files on my desktop.

Compuease et al. Help me!

Comments

• In before inevitable Mac fan-boy ribbing commences.
  • Don't know if this is related, but I had problems with my wireless printer when I switched to Win7 as well. Computer wouldn't recognize it. I needed to download and reinstall the printer drivers. Then once I got it working, about two months later I had to do it again for some reason.
  • This man is a genius. So stupid. Needed Step 4 - make all user accounts and passwords the same. Retarded beyond belief.

Keep being asked for "network password"
  • Sorry I haven't been on to suggest something but looks like you found it yourself. I have also pointed ppl to that same place for info. Windows 7 treats network security much like on a domain, ie you either need to not use logons and passwords, make them all the same, both which defeat the security purpose, or the correct way, which is create logons on the sharing pc for each user on the network and give each "permission" to use what is desired.. Much more like a business environment...
    Actually once you have done it once it really is quite logical and simple.. :)

As for Homegroups, I'm not a big fan of that but it should be simple, however when you have previously had xp and 7 pc's sharing each others resources I have seen some issues. The way I fix that is have all the pc's "leave the homegroup" then set them all up again on a homegroup with a new password... And if you have ever tried to setup mac's in a business network environment you would really tear your hair out.>:D
  • Milo wrote: »
    In before inevitable Mac fan-boy ribbing commences.

lol, as I said above, just "try" to network macs...
  • As I said, all the permissions were turned on. Since each account is 'local' to each computer, making all the accounts the same name with the same password is Microsofts way of saying 'what we did was totally useless and non-functional'.
  • moose wrote: »
    As I said, all the permissions were turned on. Since each account is 'local' to each computer, making all the accounts the same name with the same password is Microsofts way of saying 'what we did was totally useless and non-functional'.

problem, you are thinking in terms of windows xp "workgroup" setup and 7 (and Vista before it) are totally different.. For those that work regularily in a business (and therefore domain) environment it is more logical. XP had so little security in it and got slammed for that very same "feature" Microsoft, rightly or wrongly did away with it. The ability to setup 7 in a workgroup environment, similar to xp. was their attempt at backward compatability.
  • Ok please diagram or spell out step by step I should set up the following:

1. desktop - used by all (3 people essentially). This holds most of our files and also has the printer and is on 95% of the time.
    2. Win XP laptop - (forgot this one) used by me and son.
    3. Win 7 laptop used by me
    4. Win 7 laptop used by wife
    5. Win 7 laptop used by me and wife
    6. playbook - (if that is important)

I want admin of control of all and I want the stupid 'this program is modifying crap' warning gone and all other idiot proof similar type warnings gone as well. Did they have to dim the screen, interrupt all processes and make that really annoying critical stop sound for that? Seriously - WTF? I am the admin. I want to delete files without giving 'admin permission' and other stupid crap. Seriously one of the contributing factors to quitting online poker was the annoying User Account Control warning that pops up everytime I run Pokerstars. Please make that go away too.

My wife can wreck #4 all she wants. I got tired of fixing things she mangled so if she wants to open stupid email attachments from her friends that modify her settings/download things/have viruses so she now has her own laptop for that and I'll fix it when I get around to it.

Thanks.
  • I don't really want to get into the networking portion of your problem, as that's not really my expertise and our setup was essentially plug-and-play.

The dimming of the screen though:
    1. Control Panel
    2a. (if you have category view on) "Review your computer's status" under the big "System and Security"
    2b. (if you have icons on) Action Center
    3. Change user account control settings on the left-hand side
    4. Drag the bar to the bottom

I'm guessing that since it warned you EVERY time you started up PStars it's at the top. Mine is at the next one down and only warns me when there's an update.

Edit: Actually, I just put it to the top level because I thought it was weird that it would notify you when you started it up. Started up PS and no warning. I dunno.
  • Nice summary Hang.. dead on, most home setups I do exactly that.
  • Hope you don't mind me asking a windows 7 question here?

How much memory does windows 7 use? Would 4gb be enough?

Yes I googled this, but I remembered this thread and want your guys opinion.
  • philliivey wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind me asking a windows 7 question here?

How much memory does windows 7 use? Would 4gb be enough?

Yes I googled this, but I remembered this thread and want your guys opinion.

4GB is plenty for Win 7, unless you are a real power user, large databases, multiple multithreading applications. Poker is not one of them.

Remember that to use > 4Gb you must be using the 64bit version...
  • "...and the voice from on high said, '4GB is plenty', and it was so..."

Yeah comp's right, 4 is good.
    Although, this is an interesting article about using more than that, even in a 32bit windows environment: Memory Upgrade: Is It Time To Add More RAM? : Introduction
    Memory is cheeeeep these days.
  • compuease wrote: »
    4GB is plenty for Win 7, unless you are a real power user, large databases, multiple multithreading applications. Poker is not one of them.

Remember that to use > 4Gb you must be using the 64bit version...

Thanks! Yes it was a 64 bit version, was in future shop and the sales guy was trying to tell me windows 7 used all 4gb by itself, guy thought I was a moron newb on computers even after telling him I researched some of this stuff. I walked out the door and did not buy anything.

Only thing would be hold em manager and maybe my DJ software that would be the biggest user's I think, off the top of my head.

So I thought I would check with you. :)
  • "...and the voice from on high said, '4GB is plenty', and it was so..."

Yeah comp's right, 4 is good.
    Although, this is an interesting article about using more than that, even in a 32bit windows environment: Memory Upgrade: Is It Time To Add More RAM? : Introduction
    Memory is cheeeeep these days.

Thanks Hang to dry!:)
  • As Hang says, ram is so cheap in it's current DDR3 format that adding 4 more should only cost you about $30. more... Win7 64 bit will use any that is available, I would think that is what the sales guy meant... Win7 memory management is much better than previous O/S's. It will release ram as needed by applications.
    In real world use you will see very little improvement going from 4 to 8 but meh, it's so cheap...

Also an SSD drive is where it's really at if you want more performance..
    Ok please diagram or spell out step by step I should set up the following:

1. desktop - used by all (3 people essentially). This holds most of our files and also has the printer and is on 95% of the time.
    2. Win XP laptop - (forgot this one) used by me and son.
    3. Win 7 laptop used by me
    4. Win 7 laptop used by wife
    5. Win 7 laptop used by me and wife
    6. playbook - (if that is important)

I want admin of control of all and I want the stupid 'this program is modifying crap' warning gone and all other idiot proof similar type warnings gone as well. Did they have to dim the screen, interrupt all processes and make that really annoying critical stop sound for that? Seriously - WTF? I am the admin. I want to delete files without giving 'admin permission' and other stupid crap. Seriously one of the contributing factors to quitting online poker was the annoying User Account Control warning that pops up everytime I run Pokerstars. Please make that go away too.

My wife can wreck #4 all she wants. I got tired of fixing things she mangled so if she wants to open stupid email attachments from her friends that modify her settings/download things/have viruses so she now has her own laptop for that and I'll fix it when I get around to it.

Thanks.

comp?
  • I don't really want to get into the networking portion of your problem, as that's not really my expertise and our setup was essentially plug-and-play.

The dimming of the screen though:
    1. Control Panel
    2a. (if you have category view on) "Review your computer's status" under the big "System and Security"
    2b. (if you have icons on) Action Center
    3. Change user account control settings on the left-hand side
    4. Drag the bar to the bottom

I'm guessing that since it warned you EVERY time you started up PStars it's at the top. Mine is at the next one down and only warns me when there's an update.

Edit: Actually, I just put it to the top level because I thought it was weird that it would notify you when you started it up. Started up PS and no warning. I dunno.

I dunno. I get the notification for every postion of the bar, except the bottom (never notify) AND I get the stupid pop-up just for changing THAT setting. Do you get the stupid popup just for changing the setting?
  • Yes.

I'm hoping your pstars is the latest version? ie, fully updated already? I get notifications only when it's updating.
    comp?

Yes? I hope you don't really want me to type out a step by step process for all that...... :)

It really isn't that difficult, however a mixed environment is always somewhat more difficult than when all your pc's are the same O/S..

And I'm not a big apple fan at the moment. Helped (or tried to) get my 11 yr old grandaughters ipod up to IOS 5 so she could backup to the ICloud last night and boom she lost all of her purchased apps, etc... Now will have to try and deal with ITunes tech support to get her stuff back without repaying for it... Should have read about all the issues with upgrading to IOS 5 since it came out last fall before I tried.

Summary: they all have issue and challenges... It keeps us busy.>:D