Which Sytem is the better deal?

I am really out of touch with the desktop world of computers. Which system is better of the two. Any help would be appreciated. For argument sake the price is the same.

System comes with a fresh genuine copy of windows 7 professional.

Detailed Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE 3.2ghz Processor/CPU
Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR2 800 RAM
nVidia GTX 550 TI 1GB Video Card
Thermaltake TR2 500W Power Supply
Scythe Katana CPU Heatsink/Fan
DVD-RW Sata Drive
WD 500GB Caviar Green Hard Drive
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case

or this one

HardWare..
AMD X4 640 2.8GHz
Asus Motherboard
Corsair 4GB of DDR2
Evga 250GTS 1GB Video Card
Hitachi 1TB hard drive
LG DvD Burner 24X
Nxzt Case with Lots of Blue led's..
750W powersupply

Software..
Windows 7 ultimate X64
Microsoft Office 2007
AVG Anti-Virus till 2018

Comments

• Is the RPM of the hard drives known?

Of course one drive is twice the size.
    What do you plan to use the desktop for?
    I haven't had a desktop for years but
    never heard of EVGA

I doubt AVG anti virus is of much value.
    See the thread from comp on microsoft
    security essentials. He will likely be along
    shortly.
  • Don't have time to look at it this morning but will later today. Generally the Phenom processor is later than the Athlon but since I''m not a big AMD fan anymore I haven't kept up on all the models. Will definitely check and give you an opinion. As lit said, make/model of hard drives would help, also what are you going to primarily use this for... ie pron or emails to grandma? :)
  • I am really out of touch with the desktop world of computers. Which system is better of the two. Any help would be appreciated. For argument sake the price is the same.

System comes with a fresh genuine copy of windows 7 professional.

Detailed Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE 3.2ghz Processor/CPU
    Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR2 800 RAM
    nVidia GTX 550 TI 1GB Video Card
    Thermaltake TR2 500W Power Supply
    Scythe Katana CPU Heatsink/Fan
    DVD-RW Sata Drive
    WD 500GB Caviar Green Hard Drive
    Coolermaster HAF 912 Case

or this one

HardWare..
    AMD X4 640 2.8GHz
    Asus Motherboard
    Corsair 4GB of DDR2
    Evga 250GTS 1GB Video Card
    Hitachi 1TB hard drive
    LG DvD Burner 24X
    Nxzt Case with Lots of Blue led's..
    750W powersupply

Software..
    Windows 7 ultimate X64
    Microsoft Office 2007
    AVG Anti-Virus till 2018

965 is a better CPU.
    GTX 550 is a better graphics card.

Buy the 1st one unless you need the extra 500 gigs of hard disk space (you probably don't)
    What do you plan to use these systems for?
    I would buy neither of these systems, unless they were dirt cheap.
  • This would be used for Desk Top Publishing with Corel x5; Photoshop; multiple page word documents. When you say dirt cheap, what would be an appropriate price.

Thanks
  • I concur with Reef here, 1st is better than 2nd. These are also a little older, I wouldn't pay more than maybe $150. max..
  • Either is lots for X5 and docs though. I run x5 on my laptop with windows 7 and it's probably only half of those machines.
  • Software..
    Windows 7 ultimate X64

Is this a legit copy?
  • I'm no expert, but caviar green ftw
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but caviar green ftw

Well this is somewhat debatable as there is a difference in the WD drive specs and target market. Black is a fastest, at the expense of efficiency and noise. Green is a drive that is designed to be power-efficient and quiet, with slower spindle speed. Blue is the balance in between them.
  • Thanks for the input everyone. Decided against both. Thanks Jeff.

Prophet22
  • Given enough time I can probably find you a used system that would suit your use as I do come across them from time to time, however it would be hit and miss as I don't typically deal in used or refurbs.. Keep in mind, refurb in the pc world is simply a wipe with cloth and a reload of the operating system.. Not much else you can do to them..
    I would likely find you a system with decent cpu and motherboard specs and add a video card for your purpose, but it may take a while as I never know...
    Don't fall into the trap of listening to what someone paid for their system, it has no relevance to todays value.
  • compuease wrote: »
    Given enough time I can probably find you a used system that would suit your use as I do come across them from time to time, however it would be hit and miss as I don't typically deal in used or refurbs.. Keep in mind, refurb in the pc world is simply a wipe with cloth and a reload of the operating system.. Not much else you can do to them..
    I would likely find you a system with decent cpu and motherboard specs and add a video card for your purpose, but it may take a while as I never know...
    Don't fall into the trap of listening to what someone paid for their system, it has no relevance to todays value.

Thanks for your help. My nephew is going to take care of this fore me.

Brent
  • compuease wrote: »
    Is this a legit copy?

There's a very elegant solution out there to making a copy of win7 seem legit, without the use of any software cracks or enterprise keys or other such tomfoolery. It uses an absolutely clean RTM version of Windows. PM for details, if you're interested in such not-so-kosher but money-saving activities.
    However, in most pre-built systems it's included automatically and generally not something you can opt out of, which makes this point moot.

As said in previous posts, neither option is really GREAT, although the first is far and away better. That said, it looks like the parts were chosen for their big flashy numbers without the true performance to back it up. Without going into great detail, most of the parts just aren't worth the money.

Out of curiosity, what was the price on #1? Low enough and it could be worth it to salvage some of the stuff and junk the rest.
  • When you say dirt cheap, what would be an appropriate price.

Thanks

I would agree that $150 is the most I would pay.