GTA please help need 2nd opinion

My Dog was recently diagnosed with Cushings Disease. Can you educate me a little on this if you don't mind.

Comments

• I obviously won't have as much info about your and your dog's situation as GTA will, but helpful information he will ask will include:

spayed/neutered

Don't overload yourself with information you will find on the internet. There's too much out there. Anecdotal, low sample size studies, etc. I went through a somewhat similar situation several months ago. I desperately sourced out information from every resource available and ended up just being confused about my available decision(s). Determine whom you believe to be the most reliable including your vet.

Hopefully GTA will be along shortly.
  • My dog had Cushing's for 4-5 years and did great on the newer medication called Trilostane which is much better than the old medication called Lysodren.

Anyhow, Cushing's is an overproduction of steroids my the adrenal glands which are small glands located next to the kidneys. The goal of treatment is to eliminate the excessive steroid production. Lysodren does this by actually destroying the adrenals and can result in a much more serious condition called Addison's disease where the body is no longer producing steroids. Trilostane does not work directly on the adrenal glands, but blocks the steroid pathway so you do not have the risk of developing Addison's disease. Trilostane is more expensive. A good vet would generally have switched from Lysodren to Trilostane over the past 5-8 years. You used to have to get Trilostane from Europe but now it is available in Canada.

This is not something that is fixed or cured, but managed with lifelong medication. On the right dose of medication your dog should have no effects from this syndrome and have a completely normal life and lifespan.

It is not a life threatening disease (infact it is commonly referred to as Cushing's syndrome and not disease so don't panic or get too worried) and is generally initially worked-up due to the clinical signs of excessive drinking and urinating, excessive panting and possibly weight gain or a pot-bellied appearence due to the abdominal muscles becoming weakened a bit due to the steroids. Note that these are not anabolic steroids like body-builders take to increase muscle mass, but catabolic steroids -- they break down muscle, etc. Kind of the opposite.

What specific tests were done to diagnose your dog? (ACTH stim test, Low dose dexamethasone suppression test (LDDS), abdominal ultrasound).

Sorry if this is a bit jumbled, I just got home from working overnight. Overall, it is not very serious but should be treated to avoid long-term risks associated with the disease. I would never use Lysodren and view vets that do not use Trilostane as somewhat behind the times.

Trilostane dosing is listed as 2-5mg/kg twice a day but it is commonly known that this is too high a dose and 1mg/kg twice a day is usually adequate.

Check out veterinarypartner.com and search cushings in dogs...there should be lots of info and PM me I'll give you my personal email for any questions you have.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    ...... generally initially worked-up due to the clinical signs of excessive drinking and urinating, excessive panting and possibly weight gain or a pot-bellied appearence ......

Damn, it seems I contract Cushings every time I don't use a cart at a golf course.

Good luck with the dog Greg, you're in good hands with Dr. GTA.
  • Damn, I want the old GTA back... This one is way too helpfull... :)

Good luck Greg...
  • I obviously won't have as much info about your and your dog's situation as GTA will, but helpful information he will ask will include:

spayed/neutered

Don't overload yourself with information you will find on the internet. There's too much out there. Anecdotal, low sample size studies, etc. I went through a somewhat similar situation several months ago. I desperately sourced out information from every resource available and ended up just being confused about my available decision(s). Determine whom you believe to be the most reliable including your vet.

Hopefully GTA will be along shortly.

-He will be 16 years old in May
    -He is a mix breed. Black Lab/Cocker Spaniel
    -Male
    -45 lbs, has probably lost around 10 lbs in the past year or so. My Vet does not seem to be concerned about his weight loss.
    -neutered

Has arthritis in his hind legs, has lost most of his vision and hearing as well

His age is def. starting to catch up with him
  • [QUOTE=crazykoby;299349
    His age is def. starting to catch up with him[/QUOTE]

my vet ... err doc, said the same thing.:(

Seriously Greg, sounds like old age is more his problem than Cushings... Keep him comfortable, but don't do too much that will affect his quality of life negatively... he deserves it... Good luck again..
  • I'm surprised that the vet wasn't concerned about a 10lb weight loss, but I'm no vet and don't have specific knowledge of the dogs situation.

Either way, Comp nailed it. Two factors to always keep in mind are quality of life and enjoyment of life. As such, the management of day to day tasks for survival (eating, sleeping, pooping, peeing, exercise, etc.) and ability to engage in the things that bring the dog happiness and joy.
  • If your dog is 16 and has lost 10 lbs he has something wrong with him other than Cushing's. He may have Cushing's and he has likely had it for a few years...like I said, it is not a very serious problem (and it does not start at 16 years of age). I would not be focused on Cushing's at all at this time.

Not many dogs live beyond your dog's age. If he has had full bloodwork and a urinalysis done and all that was found were results suggestive of Cushing's then I would be more concerned about something very serious including the possibility of cancer (sorry).

What tests have been done so far?

Is he eating normally?

Any coughing, sneezing, vomiting or diarrhea?

Increase in thirst or urination?

Is his mentation and activity normal for him?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    If your dog is 16 and has lost 10 lbs he has something wrong with him other than Cushing's. He may have Cushing's and he has likely had it for a few years...like I said, it is not a very serious problem (and it does not start at 16 years of age). I would not be focused on Cushing's at all at this time.

Not many dogs live beyond your dog's age. If he has had full bloodwork and a urinalysis done and all that was found were results suggestive of Cushing's then I would be more concerned about something very serious including the possibility of cancer (sorry).

What tests have been done so far?

Is he eating normally?

Any coughing, sneezing, vomiting or diarrhea?

Increase in thirst or urination?

Is his mentation and activity normal for him?

I sent you a email. As i mentioned we have another appointment this Saturday with the Vet. I will let you know what test, etc the vet wants to run after the appointment.

- His eating is great, consistant with how it has been for his entire life

- no coughing, sneezing, vomiting or diarrhea

- can't honestly say that i have noticed a increase in his thirst, however what started this for us with his increase and lack of control regarding urination. Over the past couple of months he seems to have no bladder control and pees in the house before he can make it outside.

- his mental state and activity state are very active. If you saw him you would have a hard time believing that he is a 16 year old dog.
  • GTA,

I just sent you an email.
  • crazykoby wrote: »
    GTA,

I just sent you an email.

On vaca-cay in Belize apparently. Not sure of his accessibility at the moment.
  • On vaca-cay in Belize apparently. Not sure of his accessibility at the moment.

he responded to me.