home data/video wiring

Just wondering if any of you have relatively recently rewired a house and used a type of residential composite cable (ex. 2 coax, 2 cat5e in a single wrapper)? Or is it preferred to run individual lines?

We bought another house and are renovating to move in, with resale later on after we reno the current house we are in...I am planning on doing a central wiring panel with outlet plates in each of the 4 bedrooms, office and each of the living room spaces (one upstairs and one down)...and am also curious if you built your own cwp, or just used a premanufactured one?

Anyone have thoughts/ideas on this??

Comments

• Also..does anyone know where to buy these cables bulk in Canada? Monoprice is a great price but shipping this stuff is a killer from there.
  • I'm Jewish, I would just hire someone.

(not racist as I was born Jewish).
  • I'm on a budget..lol Need to do as much of the reno work as I can, myself...which I don't mind doing..a nice change from daily work...and I am quite enjoying this whole planning phase at night...and demolition during the day. My electrician has never worked with any of the data/voice/video stuff on this level...
  • I'm an electrician. Run individual cables, its cheaper and you are not locked into the brand manufacture main box.

I wired coax and Cat 5 to each bedroom 15 years ago when I bought my house. The reality is that my kids each have a laptop with a wireless cards...waste of money in the long run for the Cat 5 since its never been used. Niether have a tv in bedrooms either!

You are better off having a 1/2" conduit from each bedroom to the basement area that will not be finished as you can do anything you like after.
  • DM...yeah, I know some won't be used...but it is a selling point for later on. Hardwired stuff is way faster than wireless, hence the desire for the cat5e.
    The basement will be finished and I have a control room sorted out for all the boxes and wires.
    The composite wiring I was looking at can be used with any type boxes as you still need to put ends on everything..but you are right about cost...I broke it down per foot and individual wiring runs about 50% of the composite..