Happy Anniversary.

Today is the 60th anniversary of the Accesion of Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada. Congratulations to her Majesty the Queen on this, the occasion of her Diamond Jubilee. As someone who considers himself privileged to have sworn allegiance to our Sovereign, I would just like to add . . .

God save the Queen.

Comments

• Milo wrote: »
    Today is the 60th anniversary of the Accesion of Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada. Congratulations to her Majesty the Queen on this, the occasion of her Diamond Jubilee. As someone who considers himself privileged to have sworn allegiance to our Sovereign, I would just like to add . . .

God save the Queen.

As someone who doesnt really follow, well really anything - can you please explain the relevance of the monarchy.

This is a serious question.

I have no idea how it (?) or she (queen?) has an impact on my day to day activity.

<
    ignorant.
  • She doesn't have a DAILY impact, per se. The purpose of the Constitutional Monarchy is to elevate the Head of State over and above the petty squabblings of day-to-day politicking. Let Harper et al. grub around sucking up to various constituencies for votes. The Queen sits above the fray, a steadfast representation of duty, faithfulness, and service to her subjects. In the case of Canada, and the other nations of the Commonwealth, the Queen (through her Governors General) still holds certain significant, albeit limited, perogatives of power within our Constitution. You may remember that whole "Coalition" thing a few years back. That whole strategy hinged on the Governor General's decision. Wiki goes into much further detail, if you want to check it out.