Our dog turned 16 today

My best buddy turned 16 today... That's like 112 for us... He is a Sheltie that we adopted when he was 3.

He is getting old and has really slowed down the past couple of years, so I am not sure if he makes it to his next b'day...

Comments

• That's cool. Sounds like he's had a good life. Congrats.
  • I will refrain from the obvious mention of certain threads in this sub-forum . . . or anything related to pools, list, or rosters of any kind . . .

Happy birthday to your pooch . . . I hope to see this re-posted next year (especially if he is deemed famous enough to be eligi . . . nope, not going there).
  • My best buddy turned 16 today... That's like 112 for us... He is a Sheltie that we adopted when he was 3.

He is getting old and has really slowed down the past couple of years, so I am not sure if he makes it to his next b'day...

Nice.

We have a 13 y/o sheppard/collie mix. In his mind he is still 3 and runs around like crazy chasing squirrels and sticks and then an hour later he is too sore to walk up the stairs. Poor guy.
  • I tip my hat to you for giving him such an amazing life! You didn't mention his name though?

• He is getting old and has really slowed down the past couple of years, so I am not sure if he makes it to his next b'day...

Are you talkin about me?

Joshin ya, nice story and good luck to him..
  • Milo wrote: »
    I will refrain from the obvious mention of certain threads in this sub-forum . . . or anything related to pools, list, or rosters of any kind . . .

Happy birthday to your pooch . . . I hope to see this re-posted next year (especially if he is deemed famous enough to be eligi . . . nope, not going there).

LOL, he may be a candidate for certain threads that we won't mention... That will definitely be a hard decision if we ever have to make it!!

Nice.

We have a 13 y/o sheppard/collie mix. In his mind he is still 3 and runs around like crazy chasing squirrels and sticks and then an hour later he is too sore to walk up the stairs. Poor guy.

Sounds exactly like our dog... At 13 he was still pretty active and after chasing a squirrel or playing ball, he would limp for a few hours and then be fine again. Now, at 16, a squirrel could run right by him and it's like "meh..."... I carry him up and down the stairs most of the time now... If you look closely, you'll note he only has one eye now... At 14, he had a growth behind one of his eyes that turned really bad and was causing major discomfort, so we opted for the surgery. That set us back several 5/10 buy-ins, but it was worth it as he has had at least two more years of a king's life.

JohnnieH wrote: »
    I tip my hat to you for giving him such an amazing life! You didn't mention his name though?

Thanks and yes, he is super spoiled. But he is a great dog and has paid us back in spades. We never had kids, so he is our baby. His name is PeeWee... please don't laugh... we did not name him; when we adopted him at 3, he had been through quite a bit, so we decided not to change his name on him...
  • compuease wrote: »
    Are you talkin about me?

Joshin ya, nice story and good luck to him..

LMAO, how did you pickup on that?!?
    Actually, I could have been talking about me!
  • Hope you gave PeeWee the best birthday ever. You're obviously doing something right when you have a happy, healthy pooch of that age. At 16 (or 112), we're all going to have some difficulties.

At 3.5 months (this picture [shameless brag]), it's hard to imagine surviving 16 more years with this little terrorist:

Aceat3months.jpg
  • Wildbill - Very cute... So, about 30 lbs growing to about 90 or so...
  • Pooch has had a long life, well lived and loved. Isn't that all you can ask for? You've been lucky to have him, and he's been blessed to have you . . . nuff said.
  • My old girl Flash is 14 now and she is really slowing down. She is ok for walks but the stairs are giving her a real hard time. I also have put a few little area rugs around the kitchen and living room because she has a hard time getting up on the hardwood or tiles after a long walk.

Hope you all get an extra few years out of your old pooches.