Vegas, March 4 - 11

I am booked and heading back to Vegas March 4 - 11. It works out pretty well, as I am attending a conference for work for the first 3 days, so they are covering my flight and 4 days at the Mirage, where the conference is being held. I am then dragging my suitcase to the Paris hotel for the last 3 nights as I can get two of the three days comp'd with my Harrah's card... not bad considering that weekend is the start of March break and the prices really start to increase.

Got direct flights Ottawa-Vegas via WestJet (the only airline that flies direct from Ottawa) for $646.

Sunday night - Wednesday afternoon will mainly be focused on work... Monday night I have to do the client schmooze thing, but Tuesday night I should get in some poker. Then from Wednesday evening - Sunday afternoon, I will be on my own, free to enjoy Vegas and hit the poker tables. I might play a daily tourney on one of those days, but the rest of the time I would like to focus on cash games, primarily 2/5 with some 1/2 or 1/3 sprinkled in depending on table selection. If I run really well, perhaps dedicate 2 buy-ins to some 5/10, but not too comfortable with that idea right now.

Figure I will put in around 40 hours in cash games by the end of the week... nothing too degen like a 20 hour marathon session, as I like to enjoy Vegas, people watch, chill with drinks and play some -EV pit games as well.

If folks are interested, I can use this thread to post updates once I am down there... If anyone else is going to be down there during that week, let me know...

Comments

• Sure post a trip report. I'd read it.
  • Slight change in plans... I went to book the room at Paris for the last 3 days and I tried a few other promo codes I had... It turns out I can get all three days comp'd at Bally's for a North Tower Deluxe room (slightly better than the South tower rooms). So I reserved that room instead. With work covering the flight and first four nights, my entire flight and 7 night stay is free!

The Harrah's site sure sucks; not only is the user interface pretty bad, but when you put in dates for a hotel reservation, it does not automatically give you the absolute best deal. You have to try each promo code individually (unless I am doing something wrong)... Anyways, glad I checked... with one code, Ballys was only one night free, but with this other code, all three were comp'd.
  • I loves me some U.S. work + poker trips. Will read your report.
  • Bumping my own thread, lol... Leave this afternoon for Vegas. It is so weird having to pack some dress clothes for a Vegas trip! Don't land till about 7pm Vegas time, then I have to avoid the long-haul to the Mirage.

I will try to post some updates, but there won't be any heavy poker till Wednesday :(
  • Been here almost 48 hours now and not one hand of poker yet!

Flight was delayed 1 hour 20 minutes, so got in later than expected. Monday night was a blast... We took a group of clients to STK for dinner in Cosmo and then we had a table/bottle service at Marquee. There were about 5 guys & 5 girls and everyone was really cool so we had a great time. There are parts of last night that are really fuzzy... I know I was playing BlackJack at the Venetian at 5:30am and I honestly have no recollection of how I got there from Cosmo.

But I sucked it up and was showered/back at the conference by 9am!
  • Conference is over and finally playing some poker! Playing 1/2 at Mirage for the past 3 hours...About 3 orbits in I am dealt pocket fives UTG+1. I make it $7 and the BB calls. Flop is 5 5 K... Boom for quad 5s. Check, check. Turn is a 10; BB only has about $80 behind and bets $20. I re-raise to 50 and puts in his remaining chips. River is a 3 and I have already showed the quads; he had AK. Get a high-hand bonus of $75.

About 10 hands later the guy to my left flops quad 3s...
  • Should qualify for high hand of the hour as well.
  • moose wrote: »
    Should qualify for high hand of the hour as well.

They stopped high hand for the hour bonuses a few days ago...
  • It has been crazy busy since I got back from Vegas on Sunday, so I have not had time to put together my trip report.

It was a great trip with a good mix of some party time (thanks to the conference), poker time and some mental R&R. Despite changing flights and coming home one day earlier than initially planned, I got in about 40 hours of poker and came out nicely ahead for the trip. I played at Mirage, Aria, Ballys, Venetian, and Bellagio. I kept summary notes (hours, win/loss) for each session, so I will put it together and post it as soon as I get some time.

Saw a few pros and literally ran right into Mike Matusow at Aria...