One of my worst folds ever??

Game is 2/3/5 NL 500max at Garden City, San Jose, CA. All effective stacks are $500ish.

9 handed and I have only played at most an orbit at the table.

UTG raises to 15-20 (can't recall exactly) and I call with AJo, button calls, BB calls.

Flop AA9r (pot 55-75, call it 65)

Checked around.

Turn AA9xr (pot 65).

UTG bets 40, I call, button raises to 90 or so, BB flats??, UTG mucks and I call thinking wtf? Button is an unknown and seems to be super confident. I have no read on BB.

River AA9xx (xx are under the 9 and do not make any straights) (pot 375).

Checked to button who instabets 100, BB thinks for 30 seconds and calls -- WHAT THE EFF?. I think for a minute and read button as extremely strong on both the turn and the river. Still no read on BB. All that makes sense to me is that button has 99 or turned a set for a FH and BB has the other ace. Button's bet sizing (almost a min raise on the turn and definitely not a bluff size on the river) scream of value to me. Mathematically, I'm only risking $100 to win $575 but I cannot figure out how I can ever be good in this spot.

**Note that the reads on the button are that overall he is a typical passive/under-rolled NL player, that his body language is very confident and his bet sizing indicates to me that he is trying to eek out as much value from the hand as possible.

I mucked the best hand, but I still can't see how I am good there even 15% of the time which I need to be to make the call. I was obviously under-repping my hand and I snap call one bet on the river, but a bet and an overcall really fucked me sideways.

Note that I rarely take this line in this hand, so I guess I screwed myself out of the pot.

After playing with these players for a while I was kicking myself (and obv still am a bit) for mucking in this spot. I think my read vs the button of being very confident was dead-on.

So, what did they have?

Comments

• What were your hole cards?
  • What were your hole cards?

oops..edited
  • I'll guess that one guy had J9s and the other had 1010 or something along those lines.
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    I'll guess that one guy had J9s and the other had 1010 or something along those lines.

No. Button read was super strong and I was right on my read, but I forgot to factor in 2 key points in interpreting my read.
  • folding seems crazy talk???
  • darbday wrote: »
    folding seems crazy talk???

I said it was bad. I still feel it was bad. I still don't see how I am good very often in this spot, but it is definitely a call when I consider a few things I left out when thinking about the hand at the table.
  • I definitely call for $100. Any stronger ace than you and I would expect to be even more action. Any chance BB is the guy who can't let go of KK, QQ?

FH is always a possibility with nines but I can't see those monsters.

I'm going with Ax vs KK on a hunch. You folded winner.
  • Don't think the fold is all that bad. A raise on turn and a flat behind and your holding an A, what else could they have? Was there a FD on the turn. I could see Ax and something like JJ. The bet on the river though is sooooo weak that I feel that they are trying to get value with a worse hand. Plus if its 500max they shouldn't have that much behind, feels like it should be a shove by anything better? I would guess he had somewhere around an A8-AJ not including A9obv lol. Other prob called with JJ which is probably pretty aweful lol.
    Im going by bet sizing tells not personal reads though.
  • No straight or flush draws out.
  • forgot about the only having four aces in the deck thing :(
  • Not sure why you checked on the flop? On the turn, lots of players like to come over the top of a raise on a paired board as they don't believe a player has trips or they are trying to represent a bigger kicker. I likely call $100 on the river with that much money in the pot. Doesn't make sense to raise with a J kicker on the river. I have lost a lot of hands with trips over trips with worse kicker.

Too bad you didn't have more history on these players to know if they bet their made hands.
  • Hey, if that's the worst fold you've ever made, you're doing alright.

Now on another note. I seem to sense a boiling bunny type of relationship going on here with one piggypie123. Have the authorities been alerted?
  • As played, don't think we can fold that river profitably against randoms. The button showing strength would have Ax, BB has 2 pair.

I'm fack calling here in a snapping kinda way, as I think we're good here alot more than 15%.
  • The 2 things I forgot in this hand that completely fucked me up:

1. The button is really excited about his hand, BUT he is a bad/weak player and he thinks any ace is the complete nuts in this spot.

2. I REALLY under-repped my hand which gives makes the BB have a good spot to call with 2 pair.

I think that I really leveled myself into a fold because, if anything, I am usually over-repping my hand in spots and basing reads on reactions to LAG play. I can't recall why I decided to play this hand in this manner, but it was to my ultimate downfall.

Good read Hellmuth...button had A4, BB had KK.

I think that if I am truly repping a hand and see this action from these players it is a much easier fold. Playing it as I did it should have been an easy call.

Live and learn.
  • Hey, if that's the worst fold you've ever made, you're doing alright.

Now on another note. I seem to sense a boiling bunny type of relationship going on here with one piggypie123. Have the authorities been alerted?

The pigman has lost it all over the place.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    The 2 things I forgot in this hand that completely fucked me up:

1. The button is really excited about his hand, BUT he is a bad/weak player and he thinks any ace is the complete nuts in this spot.

2. I REALLY under-repped my hand which gives makes the BB have a good spot to call with 2 pair.

I think that I really leveled myself into a fold because, if anything, I am usually over-repping my hand in spots and basing reads on reactions to LAG play. I can't recall why I decided to play this hand in this manner, but it was to my ultimate downfall.

Good read Hellmuth...button had A4, BB had KK.

I think that if I am truly repping a hand and see this action from these players it is a much easier fold. Playing it as I did it should have been an easy call.

Live and learn.

Blind squirrell.

It will make me a little more happy when piggypie123 likes that post.
  • i probally call the river, but i really doubt that this is even close to your worst fold ever. Havent u ever misclick folded aces pre online when masstabling?
  • i probally call the river, but i really doubt that this is even close to your worst fold ever. Havent u ever misclick folded aces pre online when masterbating?

fyp
  • T8urmoney wrote: »
    fyp

heh, funny that's what I read
  • I don't know how you fold there.

Personally I bet flop, bet turn and jam river. I also probably 3 bet pre with AJ on the button. But hey, aggro much....lol

Getting 5 to 1, I never fold there.
  • I'm not on the button, I'm UTG + 1 with AJo and this is a clear fold preflop at some tables.
  • T8urmoney wrote: »
    fyp
    nah, i just click "sit out on all tables" on TN when i engage in those activities :)
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I'm not on the button, I'm UTG + 1 with AJo and this is a clear fold preflop at some tables.

Mis-read your post here so I have to edit to agree.

IMO, AJos UTG+1 is a fold on most tables, save and except one with a good number of weak/tight on it.
  • i probally call the river, but i really doubt that this is even close to your worst fold ever. Havent u ever misclick folded aces pre online when masstabling?

Did that today online with QQ @ Titan. They have software that lets you fold with F1 but I was 6 tabling and it brought up the wrong table. QQ on the button and I open fold. THIS GUY IS TIGHT!
  • Meistro wrote: »
    Did that today online with QQ @ Titan. They have software that lets you fold with F1 but I was 6 tabling and it brought up the wrong table. QQ on the button and I open fold. THIS GUY IS TIGHT!

first day I used table ninja, i open folded AA 3 times while 24 tabling. Tbf I played 5K hands that day.
  • If your good or bad here, in the reality of math, your fold does make no sense unless you were trying to steal the pot away with 72 or something which you dont have, somewhere in the area of 5.75 to 1 on your cash for showdown purposes ALONE, lets go deeper....If your busy trying to get it all flopping a set then hoping to fill up while check calling, NOT check raising its still a call, if your beat so be it, most here would try to steal it with a 9 claiming the value bet look.

Your giving way to much credit to people your sitting with, depending more their age or time at the table you should know who is robbing and who has it.
  • you call a preflop raise with a marginal hand, get the dream flop. then check fold the river. sick play