Beware the Chevy Colorado and GMC canyon

This a letter i posted today in a Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon forum. Went there a month ago when i had another electrical problem.Turns out there are over 600 posts on this one website alone. I own a 2007 Chevy Colorado. I love the truck but.......

Drove to work yesterday,parked my truck,got out,remotely locked it and went in to work. 8 hours later,time to go home..........or not....... Got in my truck and turned the key.Nothing. Dash lights all came on but wouldnt crank over. Thought "shit, my battery is dead". Quickly waved at co-worker to give me a jump.Its raining pretty good out too. He pulls his truck over,i get out and open the hood. As im waving him closer so we can jump it, I hear a "click,click" from somewhere in the motor compartment. I think"WTF was that?". (keep in mind the keys are in my hand).Buddy gets out, pops his hood and hooks up the jumper cables to his battery.(i know you should hook up the dead battery first,but it was raining and i didnt give a shit).He has the 2 cable clamps in his hands and proceeds to move towards my battery.I started to walk around my truck to get ready to get in and start it once he put the cables on. Before i got around the other side of the truck i hear"RRRRRRRRRR","RRRRRR".RRRRR. You know what that noise was? The fkn truck was cranking over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didnt even have the fkn key in the fkn ignition!!!!!!!!!!! I thought "WTF IS GOING ON"!!!!!????? (Can you tell I'm pissed?)As soon as he touched the jumper cables to the battery terminals, the fkn truck started cranking over!!!! We were both dumbfounded!!! I jumped in the truck with it still trying to start by itself and put the key in and turned the key to the on position and the cranking stopped! Turned the key more to try and start it and nothing!! Turned the key back to off and it starts cranking again. On, the cranking stops. Off the cranking starts. Disconnected the cables, disconnected the battery and sat there.I sent buddy home and told him i was gonna call my wife.The reason the battery was almost dead was because there was a short somewhere and the fkn truck was trying to start all day by itself with no one around it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ironically I was working at the GM distribution warehouse in Woodstock Ontario.Went inside and found a forklift mechanic who knows a hell of alot about electrical systems in trucks and cars.He figured one of my relays in my fuse box was shorting out.We removed the fuse block cover and took an air compressor and blew air all around the fuses and relays thinking there was probably moisture in there.Tried jumping again.Same shit. Grabbed a heat gun and tried drying out the fuse block. Still nothing.Wife showed up.Removed battery, took it home and charged it overnight hoping the fuse block would dry out and maybe the computer would reset...whatever. Today, hooked up battery. Same shit!! "RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!" Great!!!! Time to call for a tow to the dealer.

Dealer calls me later,says that the wiring and terminals under the fuse block are all corroded. They can only get 30% of the diagnostics to come up with the fuse block all corroded to shit. So they are going to have to put a new fuse block in for $500 plus labour i think, before they can begin to see what is wrong.Great!!!!A new fuse block on a 4year old vehicle? I also told them to check my evap cannister valve thingy that is stuck closed and takes me almost 20 minutes to fill up with gas.....Probably $400 for that.I dunno. I figure this is gonna be one huge bill.At least between $1500 and $2000 (or more) for a truck I bought used 1 and a half years ago for $13000, plus tax, over $15000. The most ive ever spent on a vehicle.

Buddy at GM told me to call customer complaints at the 1-800 # and raise hell there. He said they might do something for me.He said it doesnt hurt to try. I doubt that this would be covered if it was still under warranty,but of course the warranty ran out in September. If they dont help me out with this extra large bill, the truck will be going up for sale immediately, and i will never buy another GM product ever again!!!

Will keep everyone posted!!! What do you think of this story Snaproll? Fkn awesome eh?

That was the letter.Do not buy one of these vehicles. They are an electrical nightmare. If anyone was thinking of buying one,you can read all kinds of posts at Edmunds.com.When you take it to the dealer it is always a process of elimination.They never have a fkn clue.Everyone on that site is asking for recalls to no avail.:(:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • [URL="javascript:bookmarkToFacebook(595);"]icon-facebook-tiny.png[/URL]

Comments

• I bought a Ford. :P
  • DennisG wrote: »
    I bought a Ford. :P

Mine will be going up for sale in a couple weeks and then will be buying a ford!!!:wink2:
  • If you don't mind the price of fuel or supporting the oil pigs....the V10's are fantastic! lol
  • DennisG wrote: »
    If you don't mind the price of fuel or supporting the oil pigs....the V10's are fantastic! lol

I mind. HAHA. Dont like putting 10% of my paycheck every week in my gas tank. Probably get a 6 cyl. Might even get the little ford ranger. I dont tow or lift heavy stuff. Just trips to the dump with brush and crap.The only thing that kept me from buying a ranger the first time was the tiny box on it. Bigger truck will take up too much room in my garage too.
  • lol GM. I had an Intrigue. It had this dumb thing called a secondary air pump which was supposed to put extra air in the exhaust to get the 02 sensor to work properly. I'm thinking this air pump was another GM workaround for a previous fuck-up in the exhaust system design.

Only thing was, where they put it under the hood it would fill with water quite easily and kill the pump. Genius design. So there was a secret recall (ie. you don't find out about it until you complain) with another piece of awesome GM engineering- the mighty plastic hood, which was supposed to keep the water out. Only it didn't work. After replacing 3 pumps under the secret warranty, I gave up. It seemed to run fine without it, passed all the e-tests until I finally dumped the car, (with 3 dead window motors - after replacing one already, drivers window of course, which made it tough to go through the drive through, so I said switch the motor with another window which I don't need - but hey more genius design - they are all door specific so you can't switch them, and it died again before I sold it, great- they've only been in cars for 40 years and GM can't make them properly???). Lol anyways this air pump was kind of like the GM equivalent of a human appendix - GM - designing shit you don't need, which doesn't work anyways.

Also the headlights in that car would flicker badly because GM had seriously underdesigned the electrical system and any time any other electrical component drew power, the lights would dim. Other than that, and the body rust in under two years which they touched up under warranty and the paint peeling off the doors and the shitty rims that wouldn't hold air, yeah really great car. I was just joking with my wife today about our GM card statement which showed we had a $2.54 credit toward buying another GM - never again.
  • Yep. Gotta love Obama Motors.
  • kidcolt66 wrote: »
    Mine will be going up for sale in a couple weeks and then will be buying a ford!!!:wink2:

Yeah Ford. Sure. I had a Ford Ranger. Don't expect to tow anything because adding a wiring harness fucks up the electrical system. Randomly the turn indicator would jam on - not blinking - on solid, and this wiring harness was DEALER INSTALLED. Makes sense right? Truck - who would want to tow something with a truck?

Also the door sensor was fucked so driving along all of a sudden the door ajar warning would go off and the interior light would go on. I remember when I sold it I was talking to the buyer outside the car and he says - "hey the cabin light is on" - I said, "don't worry it will go off" - sure it does - that's the run flat protection kicking in.

Another POS.
  • If you guys are hard on GM, try a Chrysler... I like my Toyota's...
  • compuease wrote: »
    If you guys are hard on GM, try a Chrysler... I like my Toyota's...
    Wouldnt mind a ridgeline if i was rich. Toyota and all the jap vehicles are just too expensive i find
  • No Gm, No Ford.So what do you like then moose?
    No Gm, No Ford.So what do you like then moose?

Horse and buggy are the way to go... now if only I could find my buggy whips..
  • compuease wrote: »
    Horse and buggy are the way to go... now if only I could find my buggy whips..

You call the missus "Buggy"?

Mark
  • Definitely miss my truck but haven't found one I like enough to consider buying another. 4 wheel driving on snowy days around idiots stuck in their Smart cars was pure pleasure.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    You call the missus "Buggy"?

Mark

lock thread please.
  • moose wrote: »
    lock thread please.

Naw, I'd rather lock Mark up..... lol

Oh and I showed Bead Marks post, she is looking for him now..
  • I have to say...I used our Chevy 3500 crewcab for work for about 2 years..packing a load of weight several times a week out to the bush..and I loved the ride it gave..very comfy and smooth. Clearance sucked...At about 200k it started..wheel seals kept going and contaminating the rear brakes, cv's, electrical oddities..door handles breaking...etc. We still have it..camper sits on it when we want to go to the lake...454 eats a lot of fuel.

Then I was looking for a diesel crewcab for the family/work truck..went through an 05 F350 and an 06 within a month...not happy with either (05 didn't make it off the lot..a waste of paperwork..lol) (06 made a week when I found out dash cluster had been changed and it didn't have the 140k I was told it did..but over 320k..)

Tried out another Chevy briefly on loan from the dealer and loved it, but...again..too high of mileage...didn't want the hassles...

My best friend from high school, his dad had a crewcab sitting in his yard he bought last summer brand new..then also has 2 other work trucks..so the new one never got driven..finally his wife told him he had to sell something to make room for the boat..lol So I got a smoking deal on a barely used (16000km) and very well maintained (like everything of his) 2010 F350..only problem is it's a shortbox..and a V10..lol Not what I wanted...but a very nice price point...so makes up for the diesel maintenance and mileage. Still looking for an older diesel now for a work truck as I kinda like keeping this one pretty...and I am running biodiesel/veggie oil in my other diesel work truck...so..free fuel is a nice factor.

Chrysler...hmm....We had a sweet low mileage Dodge Ram w/Cummins...but only 2wdr...no good for what I do..and , like my jeep....the bloody thing won't heat the cab after minus 20...feet freezing to the floor sucks!

I actually considered going to Toyota..but they don't make anything heavy enough for the weight I deal with...

So...still stuck with Ford for the time being...will see what happens with this truck...I have a couple other friends that own a sawmill and logging company...they have been swearing by these f350's with the V10's for a quite a few years now...holding up well to the abuse they put them through anyway..

Oh yeah...I do have a horse and buggy...rough ride and slow!
  • Ya thats too bad Dennis. Hopefully your current one holds up. Everything is shit these days. Its all about profit and no quality. You would think that after going bankrupt, Obama Motors would get their act together.They still dont care about the customer. Like i said , i would buy Jap, but they are so damn expensive.More money for better quality? I guess maybe I might have to go that route. Im definitely selling this P.O.S. though. Neft to go will be a head gasket im sure.Another $1700 fix.What a joke
  • I have an '08 lariat f-150 I bought 2 years ago from a dealer, it was listed as a "demo", it runs very nice, and I haven't had a single problem with it, which is nice because it was the first decent vehicle I have owned. The dealer even sweetened the pot with 0% financing and free oil changes for as long as I own it (which is nice, except for the fact that I live 35 mins from where I bought it)

Before that I had older coupes and sedans that were a pain in the ass with repairs and maintenance, so it almost seems like buying brand new saves you money in that aspect (month to month at least)

but yeah, ford kicks ass, I've been very happy with this truck, and I was always a Chevrolet fan boy.

gl with whatever you do.
    Wouldnt mind a ridgeline if i was rich. Toyota and all the jap vehicles are just too expensive i find

Pay up front (Japanese vehicles) or pay down the road for repairs (gm/chrysler).
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Pay up front (Japanese vehicles) or pay down the road for repairs (gm/chrysler).

True dat
  • Tldr. Don't buy american cars.