Wanna get high with me?

In before Darb says "Dude!" :D

So as many of you know, I have started towards getting my Private Pilots Licence. I've always loved planes and wanted to learn about flying, but never really had the chance until now. My ultimate goal is to obtain my Commercial Pilots Licence and make a career out of aviation somehow.

I've taken a page from Waltsfriend and decided to blog about my adventures with flight training. I'm not much of a writer (as you all can tell from my posts) but I will write from the heart.

If you're interested please feel free to read along and post any comments here.

School’s IN! « johnniesflighttraining

Comments

• Huh

Thought it was offering a flying trip! :(

Mark
  • Nice read
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Huh

Mark

You might want to wait a while for this :D
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Huh

Mark

Sorry brotha, I won't be able to take anyone up until I earn my PPL, hopefully sometime in the spring. Even then I would LOVE to take my friends up with me, but unfortunately I will have to ask for people to chip in for the rental of the plane.
  • <- Shotgun!!!!
  • GREAT !!! Soon you can be a balla and fly out to Brampton for Ching Hill games. Also, I will assume that, since you posted a new blog, that there is not a crater anywhere with your name on it. Well done, sir.
  • Good for you Johnnie. I have yet to meet an unhappy PPL-holder.

My uncle's had his for quite a few years, recently retired and is now a flight instructor. He makes trips to Oshkosh every couple years, and last summer flew up to the NWT. Cool way to see the country, I must say. I don't talk to him much, but whenever he comes to Waterloo (from Ajax) he flies, and seems to enjoy every minute of it.
  • Good for you Johnnie. I have yet to meet an unhappy PPL-holder.

My uncle's had his for quite a few years, recently retired and is now a flight instructor. He makes trips to Oshkosh every couple years, and last summer flew up to the NWT. Cool way to see the country, I must say. I don't talk to him much, but whenever he comes to Waterloo (from Ajax) he flies, and seems to enjoy every minute of it.

Wow that's awesome! Does he own his own plane?
  • Gotta let me know when you're going up in the air Johnnie. I can go out the back door at work and basically watch you take off.
  • Don't forget if you want to try soaring, I can get my friend to take you up.

SOSA Gliding Club - Welcome
  • Gotta let me know when you're going up in the air Johnnie. I can go out the back door at work and basically watch you take off.

Next fight lesson is Friday at 1pm. Takeoff around 2pm. I'll text you before we taxi out!
  • moose wrote: »
    Don't forget if you want to try soaring, I can get my friend to take you up.

SOSA Gliding Club - Welcome

I was going to look into this in the summer. :)
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Wow that's awesome! Does he own his own plane?

AFAIK, he co-owns one with 3 other guys. At least, that was the situation last time I heard.

They each basically "sign out" the plane for whatever vacations they want to take, and the rest of the time it's sitting at the airport available for quick weekend trips or whatever.

Oh, he also flies to Florida every year. Avoids the TSA and airline bullshit.
  • <acronym title="As far as I know">AFAIK</acronym>, he co-owns one with 3 other guys. At least, that was the situation last time I heard.

They each basically "sign out" the plane for whatever vacations they want to take, and the rest of the time it's sitting at the airport available for quick weekend trips or whatever.

Oh, he also flies to Florida every year. Avoids the TSA and airline bullshit.

Co-ownership of a plane is very common. I may look into it myself. They sell CF-18s at the Plane Store, right?
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Co-ownership of a plane is very common. I may look into it myself. They sell CF-18s at the Plane Store, right?

( are there CF-18s in the catalogue? snopes.com: Pepsi Harrier Giveaway )
  • This is what you want, Johnnie . . .
  • I've heard some F-35's might be going for a decent price if several deals fall through.
  • What sort of money are we talking for lessons, classes etc?
  • SuperNed wrote: »
    What sort of money are we talking for lessons, classes etc?

The ground school is $200. Books/maps/etc are $300ish. The medical exam is $200.

The flight lessons are $150/hour for the plane and $50/hour for the instructor. You need a minimum of 45 hours in the air to quality for a PPL, but it usually takes longer.

The total cost on average is between $8K-$10K.
  • That actually sounds quite reasonable in the big picture.
  • compuease wrote: »
    you getting one of these?

An airplane in your garage? - CNN.com

haha...no one of these:

f35_future_447.jpg
  • Well done. Let me know when you need some paying passengers. My oldest daughter really wants to ride in an airplane. Might be a nice birthday present to her from me. Mid-July?

Jac
  • JacNoK wrote: »
    Well done. Let me know when you need some paying passengers. My oldest daughter really wants to ride in an airplane. Might be a nice birthday present to her from me. Mid-July?

Jac

That would be tight, but I should be finished around there, yeah.
  • Congratulations, Sky-King . . . think you need a new undertitle, now. I suggest:

Official pilot of CPF.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Congratulations, Sky-King . . . think you need a new undertitle, now. I suggest:

Official pilot of CPF.

I'll leave you and khealy (pokerpilot) to sort it out ;)