t.v. wall mounts

So after some thinking the other day after some tv talk with co-workers I realized oh shit I can have some room for a poker set up.

Anyway basic question, I have a 32 inch flat screen lcd tv, cheapo brand name, do t.v. wall mounts work with any t.v.'s? Is there 1 that is better than the other?

I looked in my guide but it says nothing about mounting the t.v. to a wall, it has a grey plastic hook clip thingy on the bottom at the back of the t.v., (tried to get a picture but my room is too dark, sorry guys :( ).

I am not looking for anything expensive either but just thinking about doing this so I can use my t.v. stand for a desk or get a regular desk and chair.

I can use my t.v. as a 2nd monitor or I could get a regular monitor as I will have the table top space if I were to go ahead with a "sick" poker set up.

I know you have to find the stud in the wall, so that could be a damper on this as well as I am really picky about what angle the t.v. is on so no stud right in the middle than it's a no go.

Comments

• The brackets come in standard sizes, so you'll need to find the one your TV uses.

If you're picky about angle, get an articulating mount
  • If it is wall mountable there should be a pattern of four holes in the back of the lcd.

Let me google that for you
  • moose wrote: »
    If it is wall mountable there should be a pattern of four holes in the back of the lcd.

Yes their is, forgot to mention that, thanks!
    If it is wall mountable there should be a pattern of four holes in the back of the lcd.

magic

Best friend ever.
  • It could be if his google search actually helped,lol.:)

Had to word it different to get what I was looking for, but moose was still a help.:cool2:
  • philliivey wrote: »
    It could be if his google search actually helped,lol.:)

Had to word it different to get what I was looking for, but moose was still a help.:cool2:

Come on moose, word it better next time fer christsakes.
  • Sorry for LMGTFYing the correct answer to his question. I should have been more obtuse about it.
    philliivey wrote: »
    do t.v. wall mounts work with any t.v.'s?

Sorry for LMGTFYing the correct answer to his question. I should have been more obtuse about it.

LOL, I would have gone with "do.......work with MY tv's" but I hope for philli's sake your wording is ok this time.
  • Wall mount brackets. Tiger Direct. $29.95
  • kidcolt66 wrote: »
    Wall mount brackets. Tiger Direct. $29.95

This ^. Should work with most any flat screen tv made in the last few years... I've used these a couple of times for clients..

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6487978&CatId=2467

Yep, I've used that type as well. All depends on what you need...

lol, this place is a wealth of knowledge.. No need to google it, just pokerforum it!
  • I bought my wall mount from Monoprice

Wall Mount Brackets

Finding studs was a pain for me, but maybe the studfinder I bought was just a POS. Any tips for making this easier?
  • Scotty12 wrote: »

Finding studs was a pain for me, but maybe the studfinder I bought was just a POS. Any tips for making this easier?

How To Find a Stud Without a Stud Finder - YouTube

HowStuffWorks "How do stud finders work?"

How to find a stud in a stud partition wall - Ultimate Handyman - YouTube
  • Studfinders are never perfect. One thing you can do to make things a little easier is find something that has to be attached to a stud (eg. electrical outlet, light switch, etc.) and measure off that. The stud will be on one side of these or the other. The studs should be 16" on center. So measure in 16" increments to roughly where you want to mount whatever you're mounting. When you think you are in the right area, look very carefully up the wall surface. Drywallers are never perfect and you will likely see where somebody used a drywall screw that didn't get finished perfectly. That's where your stud will be.

When you know the height where you want to put your screw into the stud, get a finishing nail. Tap the nail through the drywall to find one outside edge of the stud. Now do the same to find the other outside edge. The purpose of this is so that you don't drive your screw in and only catch 1/4" of the outside edge of the stud. You want the screw dead centre.

TV wall mounts usually come with some pretty serious screws, some are 1/4" bore width. Never a bad idea to drill a pilot hole. If you have one, use an impact driver to drive the screw in.

The most terrifying part is when you mount your TV on the wall mount and now you have to let go for the very first time. If you've made a critical error during the process, your new baby could fall off the cliff and crash down before your very eyes.
  • Studfinders are never perfect. One thing you can do to make things a little easier is find something that has to be attached to a stud (eg. electrical outlet, light switch, etc.) and measure off that. The stud will be on one side of these or the other. The studs should be 16" on center. So measure in 16" increments to roughly where you want to mount whatever you're mounting. When you think you are in the right area, look very carefully up the wall surface. Drywallers are never perfect and you will likely see where somebody used a drywall screw that didn't get finished perfectly. That's where your stud will be.

When you know the height where you want to put your screw into the stud, get a finishing nail. Tap the nail through the drywall to find one outside edge of the stud. Now do the same to find the other outside edge. The purpose of this is so that you don't drive your screw in and only catch 1/4" of the outside edge of the stud. You want the screw dead centre.

TV wall mounts usually come with some pretty serious screws, some are 1/4" bore width. Never a bad idea to drill a pilot hole. If you have one, use an impact driver to drive the screw in.

The most terrifying part is when you mount your TV on the wall mount and now you have to let go for the very first time. If you've made a critical error during the process, your new baby could fall off the cliff and crash down before your very eyes.

I am hurt that there is nothing I can throw my biting sarcasm at here. Fantastic post.

I look forward to your guidance when philli posts the inevitable "how do I open this tin can" thread in future days.

Ooops, there it is.
  • The most terrifying part is when you mount your TV on the wall mount and now you have to let go for the very first time. If you've made a critical error during the process, your new baby could fall off the cliff and crash down before your very eyes.

Meh I hung something I didn't care about - namely me. If it supported my weight, it was gonna take the TV. For smaller weights, kids are handy.
  • I am hurt that there is nothing I can throw my biting sarcasm at here. Fantastic post.

I look forward to your guidance when philli posts the inevitable "how do I open this tin can" thread in future days.

Ooops, there it is.

Sorry Mole, I knew beneath that hardened exterior was a wounded, gentle soul. I'll try a little harder and leave a little door open for you to tear open with your gnashing, biting wit next time.

Opening a tin can... Measure with a micrometer, cut it with an axe.