Wow

I just read the hall of fame thread for the very first time tonight since i joined this site.(I don't know why i kept overlooking it).And I'd just like to say WOW!! No wonder i got attacked when i made some comments about online poker being rigged.There are some pretty awesome poker players on this site!! Some huge money has been won by various players. Congrats to all you guys who kick ass regularily. I can totally see that i was WAY out of line with my comments that were made.

So now i have a question. Is there alot less donk moves in the higher stakes tourneys? People care alot more about losing one or two hundred bucks when the rewards are that much higher? I know you guys will still bluff and shit when opportunity presents itself, but would anyone have played this hand the way this clown did to me tonite?

PokerStars Hand #74267914147: Tournament #500647604, $1.00+$0.10 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level XV (1000/2000) - 2012/01/22 0:54:24 ET
Table '500647604 36' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: gigi1979 (25400 in chips)
Seat 2: erickpapusko (28805 in chips)
Seat 3: markinhos270 (40730 in chips)
Seat 4: Tom@sheK (10575 in chips)
Seat 5: romedal70 (15675 in chips)
Seat 6: Elisa0306 (26300 in chips)
Seat 7: kickboxer25r (30650 in chips)
Seat 8: Shyster66 (22532 in chips)
Seat 9: magicman1642 (43015 in chips)
gigi1979: posts the ante 200
erickpapusko: posts the ante 200
markinhos270: posts the ante 200
Tom@sheK: posts the ante 200
romedal70: posts the ante 200
Elisa0306: posts the ante 200
kickboxer25r: posts the ante 200
Shyster66: posts the ante 200
magicman1642: posts the ante 200
erickpapusko: posts small blind 1000
markinhos270: posts big blind 2000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Shyster66 [Jd Jc]
Tom@sheK: folds
romedal70: folds
Elisa0306: folds
kickboxer25r: folds
Shyster66: raises 4000 to 6000
magicman1642: folds
gigi1979: folds
erickpapusko: raises 12000 to 18000
markinhos270: folds
Shyster66: raises 4332 to 22332 and is all-in
erickpapusko: calls 4332
*** FLOP *** [9h Qd Ks]
*** TURN *** [9h Qd Ks] [6h]
*** RIVER *** [9h Qd Ks 6h] [3c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
erickpapusko: shows [6s 6c] (three of a kind, Sixes)
Shyster66: shows [Jd Jc] (a pair of Jacks)
erickpapusko collected 48464 from pot
Shyster66 finished the tournament in 817th place
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 48464 | Rake 0
Board [9h Qd Ks 6h 3c]
Seat 1: gigi1979 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: erickpapusko (small blind) showed [6s 6c] and won (48464) with three of a kind, Sixes
Seat 3: markinhos270 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: Tom@sheK folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: romedal70 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Elisa0306 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: kickboxer25r folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: Shyster66 showed [Jd Jc] and lost with a pair of Jacks
Seat 9: magicman1642 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Obviously I know it was only a $1 tourney, but it was a rebuy and some decent money for 1st place. $400 or so.But this is the shit that constantly happens to me. I didnt want to shove with JJ because i had lost with JJ 3 times earlier within the last hour,so JJ was scaring me.I dont really think there was anything there i could have done different other than to maybe shove. Buddy probably would have called anyway...

I'm not about to start playing higher stakes either. I was just wondering if it was a little different than the lower. Congrats again guys.....

Cheers

Comments

• When your stack is 15bb or less you should only be going all in or folding. here this is an awesome spot, we should be fist pump shoving pre. Also we your not shoving, you should be 2xbb not 3xbb. His play is very standard as well, no donk move there.
  • Ok thx btp. Like i said though,that was the fourth time in hour that i had JJ and saw 3 flops after raising only to have an A or k or Q on flop every time.I cbet every time only to have been called and or raised and lost all 3 times. Maybe I was due the 4th time. Maybe he would have folded.

So if you were in a $200 tourney you are telling me that you would have reraised with 66 like he did,or would you just have called..
  • BTP would never have just called. Its all in or fold in that spot, given the stack sizes. Villain was hoping he was ahead (you have two over cards) and was willing to flip to try and double up.

It is pretty standard and he got lucky. Just a cooler for you. Neither of you did anything wrong.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    BTP would never have just called. Its all in or fold in that spot, given the stack sizes. Villain was hoping he was ahead (you have two over cards) and was willing to flip to try and double up.

It is pretty standard and he got lucky. Just a cooler for you. Neither of you did anything wrong.

ok,cool. Thx dj
  • You're welcome. Oh, and after losing AK to AQ and feeling like online poker is out to get you. Feel free to post in the Brag, Beats and Variance section. Sometimes it helps.
  • Will do! And i just made the money in the bigger $3.30 tourney. Getting low on chips. Need to double up soon. Up a whole $2.70 right now.Yessssssssss.......lol
  • kidcolt66 wrote: »
    I know you guys will still bluff and shit when opportunity presents itself, but would anyone have played this hand the way this clown did to me tonite?
    I'm assuming you want to improve your game. To answer your question, yes I think many of us would play like him. Poker is about not letting yourself get to low, so eventually we might have to take a risk with 66.

When you open a pot like you did here he has to think you have a lot of 'good aces' and a lot of pairs. So he will shove good aces at you to beat your pairs and pairs at you to beat your good aces. He doesn't know what you have so he'll throw both at you and mix everything together vs your everything....

My calculator shows that hes almost making a break even play:

Attachment not found.

the extra antes and the fact that you sometimes fold sometimes make up for the 5% difference, so its a reasonably good play by him

We make money in poker by playing all the cards we are dealt the best possible way. Then we spin the roulette wheel to see if its our lucky day. If you play your cards better than others, you are more likely to win...but its still chance.

You can't play JJ any better than getting it all in. You can't shove aces any harder than you already do. These hands are std....when you don't win at poker look at how you are playing your medium hands not your premiums....this is where you gain edge on the field and edge turns in profit.
  • darbday wrote: »
    We make money in poker by playing all the cards we are dealt the best possible way. Then we spin the roulette wheel to see if its our lucky day. If you play your cards better than others, you are more likely to win...but its still chance.

Now that was well put darb, we finally agree on something.. :) Other than the fact I prefer to throw the dice vs spin the roulette wheel... Moose taught me.
  • compuease wrote: »
    Now that was well put darb, we finally agree on something.. :) Other than the fact I prefer to throw the dice vs spin the roulette wheel... Moose taught me.
    plinko.jpg
    I'm assuming you want to improve your game. To answer your question, yes I think many of us would play like him. Poker is about not letting yourself get to low, so eventually we might have to take a risk with 66.

Ok thx darb. I guess when i said "clown",it was probably because this is something that i never do anymore .Reraise or go all in with a low pair. I have tried it many times b4 and it just always seems like I burn with low to mid pairs.If i can get in with just calling the bb and hope to catch trips on the flop is the way that i think lately. Which is probably ok with the lower blinds? Hell, i even folded QQ 15 minutes before that hand because 2 people ahead of me went all in.Still trying to figure out this game.I really do appreciate all the help and you guys will not hear any more BS from me. Thx
  • don't ever fold queens :|
    don't ever fold queens :|

There are certainly situations preflop in a live MTT where one can (and correctly) fold the ladies. Maybe not often but doable. I agree online would be much less likely.
    don't ever fold queens :|

Remember a couple of weeks ago when I got reraised all in with AA and it was late in the tourney and i had something like 50000 chips? Villain had 77 and caught a 7 on flop and i was out? You said i should have folded the aces...lol....Sigh...One day i might get this game:tongue:
  • compuease wrote: »
    There are certainly situations preflop in a live MTT where one can (and correctly) fold the ladies. Maybe not often but doable. I agree online would be much less likely.
    are you suggesting he folds qq? sometimes calls with qq? call with queens online and fold live? or sometimes fold or call on-line or sometimes fold or call live?

I think kid colt can just never fold qq live or online and always feel good about it
    Remember a couple of weeks ago when I got reraised all in with AA and it was late in the tourney and i had something like 50000 chips? Villain had 77 and caught a 7 on flop and i was out? You said i should have folded the aces...lol....Sigh...One day i might get this game:tongue:
    no i don't, send me the link
  • I guess you didnt actually say it....my bad
    are you suggesting he folds qq? sometimes calls with qq? call with queens online and fold live? or sometimes fold or call on-line or sometimes fold or call live?

I think kid colt can just never fold qq live or online and always feel good about it

I know you are jesting, but even when I know I don't with you.... There is no "one size fits all" answer..
    I guess you didnt actually say it....my bad

Hey!! I got a like!! Sweet! Up to 5 now! Or maybe not. Do i still get to count piggypies? lol
  • I don't have much to add on the actual hand, but I'm impressed with the original post. I wish you all the best when it comes to improving your game and I'll try to help if there's anything I can help with
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    I don't have much to add on the actual hand, but I'm impressed with the original post. I wish you all the best when it comes to improving your game and I'll try to help if there's anything I can help with

Thx Rich.Means alot :)
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    I don't have much to add on the actual hand, but I'm impressed with the original post. I wish you all the best when it comes to improving your game and I'll try to help if there's anything I can help with

Who is this Richard?:D

Did you just bink a mtt or something?:p