*#%@$&!!!

So I've been noticing of late that I'm cursing. A lot. In fact, probably more than ever. Now, I know there's more than likely one (ok, several) underlying issues that I'm just too much of a man to actually deal with at the moment. That being said, anyone have any tips for ways to stop using foul language?

Comments

• Blame Hobbes.
  • Fuckin' Hobbes
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    That being said, anyone have any tips for ways to stop using foul language?

Get a 3 year old kid.
  • Keep taking taxis until you find a driver with a really foul mouth and then realize how kinda unprofessional it is.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Get a 3 year old kid.

Didn't work for my wife. :o
  • one of my 'bad ass' type friends who was raised by a non shirt wearing chewing smoking drinking fighting gambling type dads was taught to say 'rats' instead of swearing....its always fun to say when a real swear is appropriate.....
  • get a wife/gf who slaps you every time you swear. didn't work for me though.
  • Didn't work for my wife. :o

He said "get" one, not "marry" one . . . :D
  • Recoginzing you have a problem is the first step.
  • I don't see a problem.
  • Potty mouth
  • I definitely found that when my nieces were little and living nearby, I didn't swear at all. Nowdays, with them across country, I don't have that built in security system.

I definitely think that recognizing the problem has made me more aware of how I'm talking with people, be it irl or on the internets, so there's been a definite improvement. Guess I just need to keep being cognisant of the fact that I do it too often.
  • As there has been significant derailment damage is several threads of late, I will attempt to add some seriousness to my post.

Yes, having a kid around or 'ur mom' or officials of various regard does help with this behaviour. In general, I have found that we subconsciously self edit in particular situations. You would never consider walking up to a bank teller and saying "Hi, so my fucktard of a boss finally paid us and I need to deposit this bullshit tiny cheque he gave me into my pissass chequing account please".

Keep in mind that it is a behaviour and all behaviours are subject to modification. Cognizance and ownership of the problem, as others have mentioned, is certainly a requisite of changing the behaviour. It's your issue, yours to deal with but affects others.

Use others to determine when they hear you are swearing the most. What situations/activities/emotional states cause you to swear the most. You might be surprised by what you find. You might swear more when you are experiencing happiness/positive situations than you thought.

If you seriously want to address the issue, write the feedback you receive down. Point form, whatever. Physically documenting the problem in your own words can often make the problem more 'real' and tangible, thus easier to relate to in the moment when the behaviour will arise.

Now your awareness will allow you to self monitor your triggers and change the behaviour. Through repetition of this process, gradual change will occur and eventually a reduction in the unwanted behaviour will be your reward.

Or just replace the swearwords you use with "Hobbes". While equally offending to others in 'the know', the general public won't know that you are in fact swearing.
  • I always found that sports was a trigger for me . . . when I found myself in a locker-room atmosphere, the expletives were bubbling below the surface. Only time I really notice the cursing frequency rising is at the bar with the boys watching UFC cards.
  • I knew I had been grumpier of late but didn't realize how it was effecting things until I caught myself curse during an evaluation for one of my team members (employees at my work = team members). It was in a good way, essentially told him he was the f'n man but it was still completely unprofessional on my part.

Bill, as always, you're a bastion of knowledge and I thank you :)
  • At first I read bastion as 'bastard'. Fucker. Just kidding.

When I was working in a max security remand center, there was a young male guard that was always chatting away with the inmates. Rather than gaining respect from them, he was garnering acceptance. It seemed like he was trying to fit as many swear words into each sentence as possible. The younger inmates were beginning to treat him as an equal, the older more hardened guys were quietly laughing at him.

He couldn't understand why every day it was getting harder and harder to do his job. Finally one day we were chatting and he spilled his frustration to me. He said he couldn't figure out what was going on as the guys seemed to accept him, but weren't following direction/orders. I asked him why he cared about acceptance as there was no question whatsoever in the inmates mind who was wearing the blue shirt. I suggested he back off the 'hanging out' and banter with the guys, stop the swearing completely and act more professional.

It appeared he was taking me semi seriously up to the point where I simply stated "At the current rate, I give it two months before you're going to get stabbed or fired. That's up to you." That got his attention.

Language creates power and respect or takes it away.
  • I'm not exactly sure what a bastard of knowledge would be...
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    I'm not exactly sure what a bastard of knowledge would be...

You rang? ^-^
  • I know swearing is bad, but I feel that in certain sitauations it can be useful, sometimes nessesary and down right fun, DAMMIT*!

What drives me nuts is when fucking assholes* use phrases like "That's gay", "Retard", "Jewed" etc, etc.

*See what I did there?
    I know swearing is bad, but I feel that in certain sitauations it can be useful, sometimes nessesary and down right fun, DAMMIT*!

What drives me nuts is when fucking assholes* use phrases like "That's gay", "Retard", "Jewed" etc, etc.

*See what I did there?

What if you use them in reference to a gay, Jewish, retard? would that be kosher?*

* I raise . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    What if you use them in reference to a gay, Jewish, retard? would that be kosher?*

* I raise . . .

haha....no that's still fucking* bad, dumbass*

I win :D
  • Not really, because my posts tie into being a "bastard of knowledge", which was kinda my point. SUCK OUT, FTW, BABY !!! Shouldn't you be resting up for Sunday, fly-boy?
    I know swearing is bad, but I feel that in certain sitauations it can be useful, sometimes nessesary and down right fun, DAMMIT*!

*See what I did there?

I definitely agree with you and have politely told numerous people not to use gay and retard as derogatory terms. Honestly don't have a lot of experience with people using Jewed as a term, except for a former boss at Food Basics saying it was the Jew in him when we sold expired pop. Funny enough, I left a week later and never returned.
  • Pop has an expiration date? When was it bottled, 1947? When people talk to me about being cheap, I explain that it is my Dutch heritage coming out. I then mention that the Dutch were the only people who could buy from the Jews, sell to the Scots, and still turn a profit.

Now everyone go have a Happy Robbie Burns Night.
  • I was watching a doc the other night and a psych mentioned that the term "retarded" went through a lengthy period of non-use as it had become politically/professionally frowned upon. They indicated however that the term is again growing in use in the psych field within certain context (eg."The child exhibited symptoms of retarded development.") Use as a specific descriptor of an individual is not making a comeback (eg. "The child is retarded.")

Language changes and changes.. Lol.
  • No issue if people use it in its proper context. It means to impede or delay progress, to impede. Used properly, sure, no problem. Had a very awkward situation once with a guy at a wrestling show saying that someone was "retard" strong. Shot him a very dirty look, he stopped, did that dog/cat head tilt thing, and went back to being an ass, but made the effort to do it out of my earshot after that.
  • I was watching a doc the other night and a psych mentioned that the term "retarded" went through a lengthy period of non-use as it had become politically/professionally frowned upon. They indicated however that the term is again growing in use in the psych field within certain context (eg."The child exhibited symptoms of retarded development.") Use as a specific descriptor of an individual is not making a comeback (eg. "The child is retarded.")

Language changes and changes.. Lol.

I agree:

http://www.pokerforum.ca/f12/silverman-racist-27224/#post293032
  • Milo wrote: »
    Pop has an expiration date? When was it bottled, 1947? When people talk to me about being cheap, I explain that it is my Dutch heritage coming out. I then mention that the Dutch were the only people who could buy from the Jews, sell to the Scots, and still turn a profit.

Now everyone go have a Happy Robbie Burns Night.

Roughly 6 months to a year from the day it's made.