Vertical Red Line in Plasma Screen TV

A few weeks ago a vertical red line has appeared to the right of the centre (probably 2 inches to the right) of my screen. It looks like a laser pointer line.

Does anyone know the cause or how repairable/what the cost for repair would be?

Pretty sure this is out of warranty.

Comments

• Most likely cause is the plasma element is toast. Is anything other than the red line being displayed?

TV is probably toast if this is the case. We live in a disposable tech world these days.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    A few weeks ago a vertical red line has appeared to the right of the centre (probably 2 inches to the right) of my screen. It looks like a laser pointer line.

Does anyone know the cause or how repairable/what the cost for repair would be?

Pretty sure this is out of warranty.

Yea, time to go shopping. Similar thing happened to me about a year ago, its not repairable.
  • It'll be cheaper to buy a new plasma than to repair it.
  • Oh well, was likely going to get rid of it when I move.

It is only the thin line, likely a pixel in width running from the top to the bottom of the screen.
  • Called the TV repair place Samsung referred me to -- they said if it is the buffer board it will cost $300 with labour, if it is the screen it would be cost prohibitive to repair. Looks like similar TVs are less than $600 these days so I likely won't bother. It isn't very noticeable for now.

For future reference, do I want a LED or a LCD TV? I don't think they had LED 3 years ago so I assume that is better?
  • If u can wait oled later this year
  • actyper wrote: »
    If u can wait oled later this year

Won't be until after I move to the US, so not for a bit.

What is oled vs led?
  • actyper wrote: »
    If u can wait oled later this year

These going to be so expensive though?
    What is oled vs led?
    Organic Light Emmitting Diode..

Kinda like organic vs regular vegetables..

OLED introduction and basic OLED information
  • compuease wrote: »
    Organic Light Emmitting Diode..

Kinda like organic vs regular vegetables..

OLED introduction and basic OLED information

So, they drop the TV on the ground and don't wash it and then I pay double for it?
  • literation wrote: »
    These going to be so expensive though?

Yeah should be in the high 000s for the 55s, or about the same price for a house in vegas.

Super thin, super light, screen goes right to the edge
  • Wow. This is pretty interesting stuff.

LG gives some more details about the TV itself - it will weigh only 7.5kg, and be just 4 mm thin (which is a bit confusing - as LG Display said the panel is 5 mm thin. So which one is it?). We still do not know the release date or price of the 55EM9600 (although DisplaySearch estimates that it will cost $8,000 and be released in 3Q 2012).
    So, they drop the TV on the ground and don't wash it and then I pay double for it?

You forgot to add that the picture won't be any better, either. :D
  • Milo wrote: »

SuperNed gonna have a fit
    Milo wrote: »

Be very careful here lads. I'm not in the best of moods as is and you're attacking something near and dear to me from having worked in the industry for 12 years. I realize you goons is just having some fun though, so carry on :)
  • 07-11-06, 12:13 AM
    I think I'm going to cry. I have fallen in love with my Panasonic TH50-PX50 TV, and today after only about 7 weeks of ownership, I notice this red line going down from the top of the TV, it looks like someone is pointing a laser line down from the top of my TV. This only seems to show up on face tone colors, and does not show up on blacks, whites, or blues.

This happens on all sources, regular standard def TV, a 480p DVD via component video, and a HDTV cable box with an HDMI cable connected.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I did not buy the extended warranty, so how good is Panasonic about fixing my TV? It's heavy, and it's wall mounted, so it's not going to be fun if I have to take it down.

I've uploaded 2 photos. The P1030732 is ZOOMED IN so you can see the red line going right down the middle of Matthew's face (if you maximize your browser window when the photo opens). In the second photo, it's harder to see the line because it's a birds eye view of the entire tv, so you can get an idea of where in the TV the line is coming from.
    Chris_006
    07-11-06, 12:51 AM
    Bring it to a well oiled service center and you're fine.

A lot of time companies will reimburse said service centers to pick up and once the work is done under warranty, will deliver TV back.

I know my A/V shop does not only sell the products, but is one of the only service centers in the area, covering all makes and models. If you find a good repairman, like the one we have, you'll be in good hands.

If you're in the mid-Minnesota area, shoot me a message, I'll see what we can do for you. ;)
    Schteevie
    07-11-06, 01:35 AM
    I didn't know panny did black bezels - that TV looks pretty good.

sorry to see the problem - it looks screwed - I see the line from top to bottom on your screen - all colurs - it just seems the skin tones show it more...
    djrobsd
    07-11-06, 01:04 PM
    Thanks for the responses... I've got them scheduling an in-home service call visit right now. Let's hope it's a drama-free experience. ;)
    thu650
    07-13-06, 01:50 AM
    I feel for you. Turned on the tv this evening and discovered I have a red vertical line as well TH50PX600U. I'd be interested to hear what the problem was diagnosed as.
    djrobsd
    07-13-06, 04:47 PM
    Will keep you all posted, they now say they can't come out until Monday...
    robert123
    07-13-06, 06:49 PM
    In my experience with other brands, a vertical line running the entire height of the screen is normally indicative of a defective PDP panel. Most companies do not replace the PDP but only the entire set.

Robert
    djrobsd
    07-13-06, 07:44 PM
    Excellent news, Robert. Maybe I'll get the new 2006 model! Or do they usually replace it with a refurb/repaired set?
    djrobsd
    07-28-06, 02:24 PM
    I got my TV back today!!! They took it back to the repair shop, and replaced the PDP Display. It took them about 2 weeks all in all to get the part and do the repair.

The TV looks beautiful!!!

They replaced the MD50H08A2J PDP display. Not sure what that is... I wonder if that's the exact same one they pulled out, or if they put a newer model in there? Probably not since the electronic guts would have to be changed too, right?

Is my TV now going to be reset? I.e. if I check the service menu will it now show 0 hours instead of the 4000 that it had on it?
    BruZZi
    07-28-06, 02:58 PM
    I got my TV back today!!! They took it back to the repair shop, and replaced the PDP Display. It took them about 2 weeks all in all to get the part and do the repair.
    Great. :)

They replaced the MD50H08A2J PDP display. Not sure what that is...
    That's the Plasma Display Panel - The Plasma Element - The Glass :D

I wonder if that's the exact same one they pulled out, or if they put a newer model in there? Probably not since the electronic guts would have to be changed too, right?
    Same Generation Panel.

Is my TV now going to be reset? I.e. if I check the service menu will it now show 0 hours instead of the 4000 that it had on it?
    They usually reset the hours.
    gun2head
    04-04-07, 11:55 AM
    I feel for you. Turned on the tv this evening and discovered I have a red vertical line as well TH50PX600U. I'd be interested to hear what the problem was diagnosed as.

Thu,

Did you ever get your's fixed? If so, what was the problem?

thanks
    RandyWalters
    04-04-07, 12:04 PM
    Thu,

Did you ever get your's fixed? If so, what was the problem?He said they replaced the PDP itself in post #9. Now that new Plasmas are half the price compared to last year, it's probably cheaper to replace the whole TV :p
    djrobsd
    04-04-07, 12:31 PM
    He said they replaced the PDP itself in post #9. Now that new Plasmas are half the price compared to last year, it's probably cheaper to replace the whole TV :p

Hahaha, yeah I did and haven't had any trouble yet, although I did notice when looking at my tv from above last week while cleaning that the bezel is slightly warped on the bottom of the display panel. Should I call Panny and have them replace the plastic frame around the plasma display panel?

Also, I got a warranty renewal reminder from Panny, I didn't buy the extended warranty. Is it worth it? I think for $500 bucks, for 3 years, I don't feel it's worth it, since this TV will probably only be $1000 bucks in another year or so, but ??? Are there cheaper options out there for extending the warranty that I can still get, or were those options only available when I first bought the TV?
    gun2head
    05-05-07, 11:35 PM
    Mine was blown after 2 years, and out of warranty. Fortunately for me, I spend a small fortune at a high-end retailer. He sold me a new one at cost with a new warranty of 3 years...The cost was more than the warranty, so you out to think about doing it. I've had warranty issues in all the HDTV's I've owned so far (panasonic and mitsubishi). Both have been repaired to satisfaction solely because of the outstanding retailer I deal with. That's why I will buy only from him.
    uniqui01
    03-20-09, 04:55 PM
    Any ideas if this issue can be fixed?
    djrobsd
    03-20-09, 05:10 PM

That's a pretty substantial line there. The PDP needs to be replaced, that's the only way to fix it. Shop around for the parts and the labor. You might be able to get a killer deal on the replacement panel and just take it into your repair shop and have them replace it.
    RandyWalters
    03-20-09, 05:20 PM

AVS Forum

Usually when a bar only extends to the halfway point, it's an indication that one of the video boards that drive the lower (or upper) half of the screen has failed, but sometimes it is a board that's integral to the panel in which case the whole PDP module needs to be replaced. I can't tell what brand of TV that is but if parts are available it should be repairable. If it's out of warranty then the cost of repair might not be worth it.
    SFDave
    04-13-11, 12:55 PM
    My Sony Plasma TV circa 2006 (kdl-50xbr950) just began displaying a thin red vertical line, about 3" from the left side, from the top to middle of the screen. It's definitely out of waranty. The previous post mentioned that this is likely caused by the video board driving the left side of the screen. Would that be in the PDP itself, or in the separate "media receiver" (mdb-xbr950)that drives the PDP? Would it be worth my while trying to replace or repair just the "media receiver"? I've seen these on eBay for around $100.

BTW, I've noticed that if I leave the TV on for 20 minutes or so, and then power it off/on, the line temporarily goes away but returns when I power on the TV the next day.
    markrubin
    04-13-11, 01:03 PM
    I doubt the media box is the problem

as in the previous post, likely a bad video board or connector to the glass
    cerib
    09-24-11, 12:04 PM
    I had the same problem with my Plasma. Red line down the middle that would sometimes change to green and sometimes widen to 2 or 3 inches wide. My tv was out of warranty but I called Panasonic anyway to see if they knew what the problem might be. They had me reset the tv (by their instructions) and it fixed it. No more problems. You don't need a repair guy just call Panasonic and they'll help you reset it.
    FadedMaster
    09-24-11, 05:19 PM
    I had the same problem with my Plasma. Red line down the middle that would sometimes change to green and sometimes widen to 2 or 3 inches wide. My tv was out of warranty but I called Panasonic anyway to see if they knew what the problem might be. They had me reset the tv (by their instructions) and it fixed it. No more problems. You don't need a repair guy just call Panasonic and they'll help you reset it.

You are extremely lucky. Bars like that and lines are generally caused by a buffer board or the panel itself. It's unlikely that it would be fixed through a reset.
  • 07-11-06, 12:13 AM
    I think I'm going to cry. I have fallen in love with my Panasonic TH50-PX50 TV, and today after only about 7 weeks of ownership, I notice this red line going down from the top of the TV, it looks like someone is pointing a laser line down from the top of my TV. This only seems to show up on face tone colors, and does not show up on blacks, whites, or blues.

This happens on all sources, regular standard def TV, a 480p DVD via component video, and a HDTV cable box with an HDMI cable connected.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I did not buy the extended warranty, so how good is Panasonic about fixing my TV? It's heavy, and it's wall mounted, so it's not going to be fun if I have to take it down.

I've uploaded 2 photos. The P1030732 is ZOOMED IN so you can see the red line going right down the middle of Matthew's face (if you maximize your browser window when the photo opens). In the second photo, it's harder to see the line because it's a birds eye view of the entire tv, so you can get an idea of where in the TV the line is coming from.
    Chris_006
    07-11-06, 12:51 AM
    Bring it to a well oiled service center and you're fine.

A lot of time companies will reimburse said service centers to pick up and once the work is done under warranty, will deliver TV back.

I know my A/V shop does not only sell the products, but is one of the only service centers in the area, covering all makes and models. If you find a good repairman, like the one we have, you'll be in good hands.

If you're in the mid-Minnesota area, shoot me a message, I'll see what we can do for you. ;)
    Schteevie
    07-11-06, 01:35 AM
    I didn't know panny did black bezels - that TV looks pretty good.

sorry to see the problem - it looks screwed - I see the line from top to bottom on your screen - all colurs - it just seems the skin tones show it more...
    djrobsd
    07-11-06, 01:04 PM
    Thanks for the responses... I've got them scheduling an in-home service call visit right now. Let's hope it's a drama-free experience. ;)
    thu650
    07-13-06, 01:50 AM
    djrobsd
    07-13-06, 04:47 PM
    Will keep you all posted, they now say they can't come out until Monday...
    robert123
    07-13-06, 06:49 PM
    In my experience with other brands, a vertical line running the entire height of the screen is normally indicative of a defective PDP panel. Most companies do not replace the PDP but only the entire set.

Robert
    djrobsd
    07-13-06, 07:44 PM
    Excellent news, Robert. Maybe I'll get the new 2006 model! Or do they usually replace it with a refurb/repaired set?
    djrobsd
    07-28-06, 02:24 PM

They replaced the MD50H08A2J PDP display. Not sure what that is... I wonder if that's the exact same one they pulled out, or if they put a newer model in there? Probably not since the electronic guts would have to be changed too, right?

BruZZi
    07-28-06, 02:58 PM
    Great. :)

They replaced the MD50H08A2J PDP display. Not sure what that is...
    That's the Plasma Display Panel - The Plasma Element - The Glass :D

I wonder if that's the exact same one they pulled out, or if they put a newer model in there? Probably not since the electronic guts would have to be changed too, right?
    Same Generation Panel.

They usually reset the hours.
    gun2head
    04-04-07, 11:55 AM

Thu,

Did you ever get your's fixed? If so, what was the problem?

thanks
    RandyWalters
    04-04-07, 12:04 PM
    Thu,

Did you ever get your's fixed? If so, what was the problem?He said they replaced the PDP itself in post #9. Now that new Plasmas are half the price compared to last year, it's probably cheaper to replace the whole TV :p
    djrobsd
    04-04-07, 12:31 PM
    He said they replaced the PDP itself in post #9. Now that new Plasmas are half the price compared to last year, it's probably cheaper to replace the whole TV :p

Hahaha, yeah I did and haven't had any trouble yet, although I did notice when looking at my tv from above last week while cleaning that the bezel is slightly warped on the bottom of the display panel. Should I call Panny and have them replace the plastic frame around the plasma display panel?

Also, I got a warranty renewal reminder from Panny, I didn't buy the extended warranty. Is it worth it? I think for $500 bucks, for 3 years, I don't feel it's worth it, since this TV will probably only be $1000 bucks in another year or so, but ??? Are there cheaper options out there for extending the warranty that I can still get, or were those options only available when I first bought the TV?
    gun2head
    05-05-07, 11:35 PM
    Mine was blown after 2 years, and out of warranty. Fortunately for me, I spend a small fortune at a high-end retailer. He sold me a new one at cost with a new warranty of 3 years...The cost was more than the warranty, so you out to think about doing it. I've had warranty issues in all the HDTV's I've owned so far (panasonic and mitsubishi). Both have been repaired to satisfaction solely because of the outstanding retailer I deal with. That's why I will buy only from him.
    uniqui01
    03-20-09, 04:55 PM
    djrobsd
    03-20-09, 05:10 PM

That's a pretty substantial line there. The PDP needs to be replaced, that's the only way to fix it. Shop around for the parts and the labor. You might be able to get a killer deal on the replacement panel and just take it into your repair shop and have them replace it.
    RandyWalters
    03-20-09, 05:20 PM

AVS Forum

Usually when a bar only extends to the halfway point, it's an indication that one of the video boards that drive the lower (or upper) half of the screen has failed, but sometimes it is a board that's integral to the panel in which case the whole PDP module needs to be replaced. I can't tell what brand of TV that is but if parts are available it should be repairable. If it's out of warranty then the cost of repair might not be worth it.
    SFDave
    04-13-11, 12:55 PM
    My Sony Plasma TV circa 2006 (kdl-50xbr950) just began displaying a thin red vertical line, about 3" from the left side, from the top to middle of the screen. It's definitely out of waranty. The previous post mentioned that this is likely caused by the video board driving the left side of the screen. Would that be in the PDP itself, or in the separate "media receiver" (mdb-xbr950)that drives the PDP? Would it be worth my while trying to replace or repair just the "media receiver"? I've seen these on eBay for around $100.

BTW, I've noticed that if I leave the TV on for 20 minutes or so, and then power it off/on, the line temporarily goes away but returns when I power on the TV the next day.
    markrubin
    04-13-11, 01:03 PM
    I doubt the media box is the problem

as in the previous post, likely a bad video board or connector to the glass
    cerib
    09-24-11, 12:04 PM
    FadedMaster
    09-24-11, 05:19 PM

You are extremely lucky. Bars like that and lines are generally caused by a buffer board or the panel itself. It's unlikely that it would be fixed through a reset.

I have google too...doesn't really help