How to Build Your Own PC

I mentioned doing this last year, but failed to finish it.
I came across some more free time and added the last little bit, so here it is. Don't know if the interest is still there, only time will tell I guess.
Please feel free to add opinions, questions, or anything else and I will attempt to answer/include them in my posts.

Table of Contents

Intro
Research
Assembly
Conclusions

Comments

• ~*~*~*~*~*Intro*~*~*~*~*~

Why should I waste my time building my computer?

-Because otherwise you're wasting your money on NOT building your computer. One of the reasons I've stuck to PCs over the years is the ability to upgrade them 1 or 2 components at a time, and keep your machine non-obsolete for longer, without having to dump a big chunk of change every few years on a completely new computer and toss the old one. You have to find a balance between the time and money though, and figure out for yourself how much your time is worth.

Why not Mac?

-I don't like them, it's just a personal viewpoint. I dislike the lack of upgradeablility and mindset of "if you want a better one, buy a new one and throw out the old". I realize that they have their market and do alright in that market, but I'll be staying away from any more discussion of Macs. Also, $1200 for a base model? It doesn't even have great specs, it's mostly presentation. If that's what's important to you though, by all means go for it.

Why not Linux?

-"Linux is only free if your time is worthless." It's just not worth the hassle to me. I hear that some of the Linux OSes have come a long way over the years, but I'd still rather not sink that much time into my OS. If something doesn't work with Windows, it gets fixed before it gets released. If something doesn't work with Linux, it gets a note on the box saying it might not work with Linux.

Why should you build your own computer?

-put money into the components you care about
    -don't waste money on features you'll never use
    -assembly isn't really that hard
    -be able to look upon your finished product with a sense of pride (lol computer nerd itt)

Upgrading vs. All-new
    (I'd like to expand this section later, but will leave this as-is for now)
    -could save some money by reusing components ie case, optical drive, hard drives, power supply
    -if you have previously built an "upgrade-ready" system, here are a couple avenues you could explore:
    --faster processor with same socketing
    --better video card
    --second video card
    --more RAM
    ---fill unused DIMMs
    ---change existing sticks to higher capacity/faster sticks
    -build a second computer, keep the old as a "specialized" one
    --hook the old one to a tv, use it as a media centre. I like this because as long as it does its job *well enough* you're golden for a good deal of time. It doesn't have to be able to encode videos or anything, just play them.
    --seedbox for torrents - fewer processes running on the computer you're actually using
    --anything to split up your total household computing tasks

Throughout this guide, I'll be referencing "your intended usage" and "what you're going to do with it". I think these are the most important questions that need to be asked when you're building your own PC. Do you want to be able to do more than you're doing right now? Or is your current PC holding you back from the bare minimum that you want to be able to do? Will you ever watch movies on it? How many things do you typically do at once? Are any of those things resource hogs?

There are also options you'll run into where you could sacrifice a little bit of power for a decent amount of money. Or, for a little more money, get a decent amount of extra power. The point where this is worthwhile to you is something I can't really answer either. I could give an opinion, but in the end it's only that.
  • ~*~*~*~*~*Research*~*~*~*~*~
    (specifically: HOW and WHAT to research)

This was originally going to be an overview of my thoughts on some of the current technology and cool features you can get for each piece of hardware, then I realized how much time I'd have to put into that and said fuckitall. I'll go over some of the specific things you should be looking at when looking at each component.
    One thing I may do later, but am leaving out for now: links to some of the articles I reference. If you're serious about doing this, you'll find these articles yourself. It's the whole "teach a man to fish" thing. Or, I'm just lazy and drunk right now.

Firstly though: Identify the software you'll be using

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/system-requirements
    Microsoft wrote:
    If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:
    1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
    16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

That's not really a lot. In fact, the family computer we bought almost 10 years ago had those specs, albeit just barely.
    That said, those specs are bare minimum, and I really wouldn't want to try running anything on that. Look at the recommended specs for the programs you intend to run, and we'll add a little extra for Win7 overhead. Given today's technology and prices, Windows shouldn't be the thing that's limiting your PC.
    Another good resource is google searching and checking out hits on forums. People will list their specs and what problem they're having, and sometimes a solution will be found. It can give you some idea for a starting point. Just be sure to note the dates on the posts, as any price comparisons from, say, 2010 and earlier are garbage.

Something to note across the board

All the letters and numbers in a product code mean something. You should figure out what each one means, or at least figure out the difference between two that you're considering. A higher number is not always better. A 960x is different from a 960xt, which is different from a 960be and a 955xts. Once you find out the code, though, these designations will mean something to you and you can make an informed decision.

Price comparisons

You will be doing this as you go. Before "shopping around" for deals, you'll want a ballpark figure of what your computer will cost you. Use one source for this, and ignore sale prices since they come and go quickly. I recommend www.canadacomputers.com, but that's because they're local, have good prices and I won't have to pay shipping (or hit a minimum price for free shipping). They also have an easy-to-navigate site with good descriptions for search results. Once a ballpark is determined and you've finalized specs, I don't care from where you get your parts - a lower price is a lower price. IMO, you shouldn't change what part you get based on a $10 sale at website x vs the price for another component on website y, but in reality a $30 sale on a slightly better/worse component may actually be a factor. Personal choice here.

Benchmarks

These days, I rely on www.tomshardware.com. Easy to browse, graphs are simple, updated constantly. They'll also (usually) give input on what is the best value of the tested parts, not just a "this is the fastest" statement. They do features every so often where they'll build a PC for a certain use that's under a certain amount of money, ie "The best gaming PC for under $600". They review/benchmark just a few similar pieces at a time, so you're not overloaded with data. Not saying I don't trust other sites, but I don't really see a need to check out 3 reviews that will most likely be similar.
    note: I don't put any weight on what people in their forums say, except for issues with reliability/customer service...and even then I'd probably google a product number and see what other forum hits come up as well.

Processor

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=4
    At the time of writing, Intel's best (i7) is the fastest hands-down, but still fucking expensive. AMD has good value, and decent overclockability. Read up on what features these processors have, and some benchmarks that independent bodies have run. This is (probably) going to be the biggest single expense in your computer, and also where what we're going to base our next decision on. Still not sure what you need or where to start? Check out an i5.

Motherboard

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=26
    So you've chosen your processor, now to choose the piece that lets your processor talk to the rest of your computer. The socket type of your processor (1156, AM3, etc) MUST be the same as your motherboard. 1156 is not "close enough" to 1155.
    Next, look at the other features you want:
    How many USB ports do you want? Do you need an IDE connection for an old hard drive that you want to install? Some motherboards come with onboard video, do you want this or will you be getting a video card and onboard would be an unnecessary expense? Do you need 2 slots for PCIe video cards?

RAM

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=24
    You need to look at both size and speed. Your motherboard will only support a certain amount of both. I choose name-brand here (Corsair, Kingston, Mushkin, GSkill, some others) because their shit is good and they back it up with lifetime warranties. RAM timings are a more advanced thing to look at, read up on it if you want.

Video card(s)

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=43
    You may not need one at all...or you may need two. Video cards can be a huge expense, but can also be avoided in some cases. I've heard that onboard graphics are pretty decent these days, don't know from experience though. This is definitely an "intended usage" thing. Points to consider here are speed and memory. Tom's keeps a hierarchy of graphics cards, grouping cards with similar performance together. Also when buying, consider the features that each manufacturer offers, and what you want/need. For example, ASUS and Sapphire both make an ATI HD4870 card, but one of them may have 2 DVI outputs while the other has 1 DVI, one DisplayPort and one HDMI output.

Power Supply

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=33
    I like name brand here too. Stable, clean power at proper voltages ensures smooth running for years, and should be your main concern. Tom's has covered this before, and gives outlines of the typical amount of power your system will consume based on how much stuff you have going on. Make sure that it also has all the connections and power you'll need - 20- or 24-pin motherboard connection, graphics card(s), maybe legacy molex for old hard drives you can't do without. One nifty feature of some power supplies is modularity, that is, you connect only as many power cables as you'll actually use. Otherwise, you'll probably end up with a bunch of cables just hanging loose in your case. There's nothing wrong with this of course, the modular ones just make it look nicer when you open up your case.

Case/Aesthetics

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=6
    Ah, the crux of everything, where style and function meet. There are a lot of offerings out there, some things to consider are what you want it to look like (obviously), cooling ability (some have many fans mounted, some none) and front peripherals. Some come with a power supply, in which case we should not only look at looks, but also the quality of the PSU as in the step above.
    Size, in the case of cases, is also an issue. Do you want a smaller-than-normal case? How small? Standard is ATX, which will fit just about everything you want. If you want a teeny case, consider going with mini- or micro-ATX. In doing so, you will need a smaller motherboard, which will sacrifice options for size.

HDD

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=15
    SSD for fast read/write, period. For storage, check out RAID configurations, and if any of them seem like something you'd be interested in, go for it. As far as the drives themselves, Western Digital and Seagate are name brands, iirc WD benchmarks marginally better. They have a few different lines (blue, black and green) that are all very decent. Two speeds, 7200 RPM and 10k RPM. Ignore the 10k imo, if you want speed get an SSD. A few months ago storage was dirt cheap until the flooding in Thailand, I imagine those prices should be back soonish. This is another category that depends entirely on intended usage.

Optical

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=3
    Again, intended usage. I have an 8-year-old 4x DVD burner that still serves me well. I barely ever burn something, and when I do I don't much care how long it takes. Physical media is going by the wayside. Couldn't even tell you what are good drives these days. By this point you should be a master at googling/tomshardwareing this shit.

Warrantee Coverage; or, Why We Don't Need No Stinkin' 1-Year Warrantee!

You might think that Futureshop's one-year warrantee is the bee's knees. Your computer suddenly won't turn on, bring it in and let them fix it.
    The fact of the matter is, most name-brand computer parts have very good warrantee coverage, usually at least a year. In fact, the name-brand parts are usually so highly recommended because they will perform to spec without problems in the vast majority of cases. And if they don't, you can send them back - you're not getting what you paid for, period. By buying components separately, you're now paying for a guaranteed level of performance from each part.
    Some examples:
    AMD processor - 3 years
    Gigabyte motherboard - 3 years
    Corsair power supply - 2-7 years
    Antec case - 3 years
    RAM (almost any brand) - lifetime
    Video card - 1 year to lifetime, varies depending on manufacturer
  • ~*~*~*~*~*Assembly*~*~*~*~*~

So, you've done your research, have a bunch of compatible components sitting on your table in boxes and have no clue where to go from here. Fear not! As long as you take it one step at a time and don't rush, everything will pretty easily clip/screw together.

1. Assembly area prep

-I like to use my kitchen table. Light directly overhead, lots of room to walk around, non-carpeted floor. If you're a slob, clean the table of caked-on food and unknown sauces first. If you have a nice table and don't want it to get scratched, put a non-staticy tablecloth down.
    -Static electricity is not your friend. I've never really had a problem with it, so I'm not paranoid about making an entire anti-static zone, but keep it in the back of your mind.

2. Case/Power Supply

note: I personally like to add the PSU last-ish, especially if it's not modular. Your case may come with a power supply pre-installed though, so make do.
    -Read the instructions that came with the case. It might have tips for putting your shit together with instructions specific to that case.
    -Read the instructions that came with the power supply. It might have tips for putting your shit together with instructions specific to that PSU.
    -Take the case out of the box, put it on its side on the table. Note the locations of holes for mounting the motherboard.
    -Screw in the power supply. Firmly. Stand the case upright, make sure it stays in place with no wiggle. For a bottom-mounted power supply this isn't as big a deal.

3. Motherboard

-Read the instructions that came with the board. It might have tips for putting your shit together with instructions specific to that board. (noticing a trend here?)
    -Look for the mounting holes on your motherboard. Identify the standoff holes in your case that correspond to these.
    -Install male-female standoffs in the proper places. These should have come with your case.
    -Place your motherboard on these and secure with the proper mounting screws. These also should have come with your case. Be sure to use the correct type so as not to damage the threading on the standoffs/screws. Test which screws are the right fit beforehand if you're unsure.
    -Congratulations, that was probably the hardest part of the installation process.
    note: The point of the standoffs is to keep your motherboard's metal parts from contacting the case and creating short circuits. This is important shit. Take your time, get it right the first time and use all the available mounting holes.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_case_screws

4. Processor

note: don't handle the processor by the pins/contacts on the bottom.
    -Read the instructions that came with the processor. It WILL have tips for putting your shit together with instructions specific to that processor.
    -Properly line up the pins on the processor with the socket in the motherboard. Refer to the instructions, 10 times if you have to, to get this right. There's usually a pretty idiot-proof "line up the triangle on the die with the triangle on the socket" type of system in place. Don't force the processor in, if lined up correctly it will slide right into place.
    -clamp the processor down as the instructions tell you to. A little force is usually needed, don't be scared of applying that force at this time. As long as your processor is fully in the socket, you're golden at this point.

4b. Heatsink

-Take the cover off the heatsink
    -Line up heatsink with processor and clips/screws
    -Clamp that thing down with whatever method your specific model uses. This should be illustrated in the instruction manual.
    note: You may be required to use a good deal of force to get this done. Don't worry, tight contact is imperative and the motherboard/processor/heatsink are all designed to take that kind of force.
    note: There will be some thermal paste applied to the heatsink when you unbox it. Don't touch it. If you only install your processor once, this is all you'll ever need to think about that paste. If you take your heatsink off for whatever reason, you need to clean the processor and heatsink, buy a tube of thermal paste (cheap), and reapply. You can find instructions for this online.

5. RAM

-Read the instructions that came with the motherboard. It should have a list of recommended RAM configurations - usually 2 same-coloured DIMM slots. If you're using all the slots though, this point is moot.
    -Line up the notch in the memory module with the notch in the slot - it will only fit in one way.
    -Push the RAM straight down into the slot. When it's all the way in, the little arms on the ends of the slots will fit into the notches on the ends of the RAM sticks. If they don't, keep pushing it in.
    -If you start up your computer with the RAM not fully inserted, you could damage your computer and probably void the warranties of whatever parts get damaged.

6. Video Card(s)

-Read the instructions that came with the motherboard. Identify which PCIe slot(s) you should be putting your video card(s) in (usually the topmost, longest one).
    -Remove the appropriate coverplates from the back of your case. Some cards require 2 of these to be taken off. You can eyeball which ones need to go by lining up your card in the case.
    -Push the card in firmly, should be in far enough that the little flippy switch at the back of the slot can be flipped.
    -Screw the card to the case where you took the coverplates off.

7. Optical Drive

-Figure out where you want it to be, and take the coverplate off the front
    -Screw it in tightly enough, you don't want the drive to rattle around when spinning

8. Hard Drive

-This is pretty easy. 4 screws. Cable in the back. Bam.
    -Honestly, there's no other step.
    -If you make it this far and screw this step up, I don't know how to help you, sorry.

9. Turning it on

-Connect all data cables. Refer to motherboard instructions and choose the proper connections on the board.
    --hard drives
    --optical drives
    --usb/power cables to front of case ports/switches
    -Connect all power cables.
    --main power 20- or 24-pin connection to motherboard
    --hard drives
    --optical drives
    --video card
    --molex connections to legacy IDE components (hard drives, optical)
    --case fans
    --heatsink fan
  • TL;DR version - go buy a Dell, then another in a few years. If you don't have the time to read that much stuff, you don't have the time to build your own system. I'm not judging, just saying. You'll be paying a little more than you need to, but it should be able to do what you ask of it.

Overall, I don't feel that this process should take more than a week, a couple hours a day. Once the groundwork is laid, buying a new computer should be something that can be accomplished in a day or two.

Feel free to ask questions/ask for input here, I will give my opinion and offer help at any step. All I ask is that you first read through and attempt to comprehend the guide.
  • Reserved

flame away
  • Haven't gone through it all, but this is quite an effort!

Nobody should be flaming this.
  • I like it.... Will go through it in more detail as soon as I get a little time, not to flame but perhaps enhance... Nice job!
  • nice one. The buy or build debate is going strong in my head right now. In the end I might buy a laptop as I'm not sure I need anything stronger than that.....though it limits upgrade ability to RAM and Disk for the most part. (unless you know more about this and want to start another thread.

I like the suggestion of creating the box specifically for TV connection. I'm new to the realm of TV's with/as computers as mine currently hasn't even got an HDMI connection (Gasp). Though after setting one up for a family friend it really is the way to go. Flat panel here I come.
  • ~*~*~*~*~*Intro*~*~*~*~*~

Why should I waste my time building my computer?

-Because otherwise you're wasting your money on NOT building your computer. One of the reasons I've stuck to PCs over the years is the ability to upgrade them 1 or 2 components at a time, and keep your machine non-obsolete for longer, without having to dump a big chunk of change every few years on a completely new computer and toss the old one. You have to find a balance between the time and money though, and figure out for yourself how much your time is worth.

Why not Mac?

-I don't like them, it's just a personal viewpoint. I dislike the lack of upgradeablility and mindset of "if you want a better one, buy a new one and throw out the old". I realize that they have their market and do alright in that market, but I'll be staying away from any more discussion of Macs. Also, $1200 for a base model? It doesn't even have great specs, it's mostly presentation. If that's what's important to you though, by all means go for it.

Why not Linux?

-"Linux is only free if your time is worthless." It's just not worth the hassle to me. I hear that some of the Linux OSes have come a long way over the years, but I'd still rather not sink that much time into my OS. If something doesn't work with Windows, it gets fixed before it gets released. If something doesn't work with Linux, it gets a note on the box saying it might not work with Linux.

Why should you build your own computer?

-put money into the components you care about
    -don't waste money on features you'll never use
    -assembly isn't really that hard
    -be able to look upon your finished product with a sense of pride (lol computer nerd itt)

Upgrading vs. All-new
    (I'd like to expand this section later, but will leave this as-is for now)
    -could save some money by reusing components ie case, optical drive, hard drives, power supply
    -if you have previously built an "upgrade-ready" system, here are a couple avenues you could explore:
    --faster processor with same socketing
    --better video card
    --second video card
    --more RAM
    ---fill unused DIMMs
    ---change existing sticks to higher capacity/faster sticks
    -build a second computer, keep the old as a "specialized" one
    --hook the old one to a tv, use it as a media centre. I like this because as long as it does its job *well enough* you're golden for a good deal of time. It doesn't have to be able to encode videos or anything, just play them.
    --seedbox for torrents - fewer processes running on the computer you're actually using
    --anything to split up your total household computing tasks

Throughout this guide, I'll be referencing "your intended usage" and "what you're going to do with it". I think these are the most important questions that need to be asked when you're building your own PC. Do you want to be able to do more than you're doing right now? Or is your current PC holding you back from the bare minimum that you want to be able to do? Will you ever watch movies on it? How many things do you typically do at once? Are any of those things resource hogs?

There are also options you'll run into where you could sacrifice a little bit of power for a decent amount of money. Or, for a little more money, get a decent amount of extra power. The point where this is worthwhile to you is something I can't really answer either. I could give an opinion, but in the end it's only that.

I'm not going to post my resume here, but I have an advanced degree in computer science and decades of work experience.

My professional opinion is....

This guide is fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This pretty much sums up what I do when I make a computer for myself ...

I go to Toms hardware and then go down to Canada Computer.
  • My dad used to do this all the time. Had spare parts all over his office.

I'm definitely on the lower end of the knowledge scale on this topic, but I do disagree with one point. Never buy a Dell. It may have been because it was a laptop, but the thing was supposed to be a high end computer and ended up being a friggin' paper weight. Sent it back half a dozen times to be repaired. It spent more time with Dell than it did with me. Their customer service was beyond useless. May have just been my experience with them but I will most definitely never buy anything from them again.
  • I've never looked at laptops myself, so can't really comment on that. In that case you're essentially paying a premium for mobility, but it's the only real mobility solution, so if that's what you need/want then it's your only real option.

I just threw the name Dell out there, was implying a generic prebuilt. You'd have to shop around, and that's out of the scope of what I was doing here. I've only dealt with their rma service from a corporate accout, so they were great from my experience; I can definitely see your point as a single user though.
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    Never buy a Dell. It may have been because it was a laptop, but the thing was supposed to be a high end computer and ended up being a friggin' paper weight. Sent it back half a dozen times to be repaired. It spent more time with Dell than it did with me. Their customer service was beyond useless. May have just been my experience with them but I will most definitely never buy anything from them again.

I've had 2 Dell desktops and 2 laptops and they've always been rock solid. Not a single problem with any of them. I can't comment on the customer service since I've never had to use them.
  • I've never looked at laptops myself, so can't really comment on that. In that case you're essentially paying a premium for mobility, but it's the only real mobility solution, so if that's what you need/want then it's your only real option.

It totally depends on what you need the machine for. If you need bleeding edge specs and top tier components then definitely go for a desktop. For most people a laptop will suffice. The typical computer user surfs the net, checks email, goes on Facebook and IMs. Not too demanding for today's low- to mid-range hardware.

And I always used to get desktops with future upgrading in mind, but I've learned that the motherboards, memory types, video cards and CPUs change so fast so investing in futureproofing doesn't make sense.
  • I've been experimenting with a few different Linux builds on some of my older machines. I'm currently using SUSE and find it very stable and very usable on older hardware. The problem with Windows is it's a big resource hog and doesn't run very well on older hardware. Even a clean XP install magically get bloated and slows down over time.

I'm currently running Snow Leopard (OSX) on my old Dell 6400 laptop and it runs very well. I did it as an experiment and the only major problem was accelerated video, but that problem's been solved.

Win7 runs very well on current hardware. I even put it on my dad's laptop (which was running like molasses in January on Vista) and he loves it. I was running that until I put OSX on my laptop (which is my daily driver at home). I'm still running XP at the office and keep saying I'm going to wipe it and install Win7, but haven't gotten around to it.
  • holychow wrote: »
    I've had 2 Dell desktops and 2 laptops and they've always been rock solid. Not a single problem with any of them. I can't comment on the customer service since I've never had to use them.

Definitely possible I just got a lemon, but the people that were supposed to help never did and were always frustrating as all hell to deal with. Maybe just my bad luck :(
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    Definitely possible I just got a lemon, but the people that were supposed to help never did and were always frustrating as all hell to deal with. Maybe just my bad luck :(

You did get a lemon. It's shitty you got really poor customer service.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
  • holychow wrote: »

I'm currently running Snow Leopard (OSX) on my old Dell 6400 laptop and it runs very well. I did it as an experiment and the only major problem was accelerated video, but that problem's been solved.

ummm.....details? both on how you got OSX to load and run and then the video solution. very intrigued. I've been thinking of building a hackintosh for the phuc of it but haven't seen anything related to using a clone laptop.

cheers,
  • SuitedPair wrote: »
    ummm.....details? both on how you got OSX to load and run and then the video solution. very intrigued. I've been thinking of building a hackintosh for the phuc of it but haven't seen anything related to using a clone laptop.

cheers,

I find most the information I needed at tonymacx86.com and searched a few different hackintosh sites for the info for my video problems.

I have to admit that I was very fortunate since most of the hardware in my laptop ran without any problems.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk