Future pools rules

With the resolution of the current dispute still fresh, I thought I would post a set of rules for future Dead Pools. This will allow current players to provide input into the guidelines for the next pool and hopefully avoid what has just happened this weekend. With that in mind, here goes nothing:

Basics:

Each manager will select a roster of 50 players. This roster will consist of 10 players in each of the following 5 categories:

Politics
Sports
Entertainment
Music
Misc.

After selecting 50 players, managers are responsible for numbering their roster in the order that they wish them to be drafted. The 5 categories are not relevant to this numbering procedure (ie a manager can list all his Misc. players in the top 10). It is strictly who the manager thinks is most likely to expire within the calendar year.

Pay-offs:

Monies will be paid out on the following, graduated basis:

Player is 81+ = $5.00
Player is 66+ = $6.00
Player is 51+ = $8.00
Player is <50 = $10.00
Player is 27 yrs. old = $20.00

Managers are responsible for registering a "winner". You will have one week from publication of death to make your claim. After this one week period, the value of your player will be reduced by $0.50 per week until the value reaches $0.00.

Ineligible players:

The following categories of players will be deemed ineligible for the draft:

Death Row inmates or persons under a sentence of death, regardless of country, or status of appeals. NO EXCEPTIONS FOR ANY REASON.

People who fall into the category of "World's Oldest . . .".
There will be an exception made if said player has fame/notoriety for something beyond their age (ie Oldest living NFL QB, Oldest Stanley Cup winner, etc). Any player in this category will be scrutinized heavily.

Qualifications:

Players selected must have some level of fame or notoriety to qualify for the pool, such that their deaths will be reported by a reputable news source outside of the obituary pages (so your great aunt will not qualify, unless she also happened to be otherwise famous). Examples of reputable news sources are as follows: Canadian Press, Associated Press, CNN, Reuters, The Toronto Star, etc. When informed of a winner, the Moderator shall confirm through these independent news sources before payments are to be sent. No confirmation, no pay-out. No exceptions.

Vetting:

In an effort to avoid future disputes over eligibility, rosters will be posted for all managers to see, AFTER the draft order has been set. There will be a short time period (a week?) for managers to question players they feel are dubious, and for those issues to be resolved. Players ruled ineligible during this period may be replaced by their manager with no penalty. Once this period has closed, the draft will take place, and all rosters will be set. Any roster players who expire before the Pool commences may be replaced. The replacement does not have to come from the same category.

Timing:

In order to avoid late entries, and the hustle and bustle of Christmas, the following schedule is proposed:

November 1st: New Pool is announced and Managers solicited.
Mid-November: Agreement on rule changes for the Pool.
December 7th: Roster submissions.
December 14th: Draft order set, rosters posted for screening.
December 28th: Draft Day. Rosters posted to the Forum.

As stated, any players who die before the pool commences can be replaced on the roster by their managers. All previous rules and vetting will still apply to said replacement.

Comments

• Thoughts, and amendments, please . . .
  • My first thoughts are, this will likely be my last DP.

The fact we have to have a full page of rules and 5 deadlines for procedure in writing I find ridiculous. I did this for years with friends and we all knew what was right and wrong and could schedule it without issue.

Wetts' point that a lot of the names I have to google to know what they are famous for also bothers me.

W/E.
  • So, in summation: lack of rules leading to a perceived angle shoot = bad. Increase in level of regulation to prevent same = bad (?).

Thank you for your opinion.
  • Milo wrote: »
    So, in summation: lack of rules leading to a perceived angle shoot = bad. Increase in level of regulation to prevent same = bad (?).

Thank you for your opinion.

I think Mr. Libertarian might have a little better understanding of my views than he would like to admit. What else is new?

I have a deepening preference for ventures of this nature to be more informal, and between like minded and common valued people. Having said that there is only one of the current crop of players that I don't have the ultimate respect for and confidence in.

I eagerly await your next smarmy response.
  • Okay, so now we want to restrict membership to the club? Goes back to the Mill's comment about the "cool kids". Mole, you've made your point clear. If you do not play next year, that is up to you. But, more than one member has mentioned getting more people involved and, when that happens, problems will arise. To avoid those problems, rules must be put in place. How individual members respond to those rules is up to them but, if the Pool is to grow and succeed, a minimal amount of regulation is required. Alternatively, we could go with no rules, and everybody will become very familiar with the State of Texas' execution schedule for 2013.

Swarmy enough for ya?

Swarmy enough for ya?

You've had better days.
  • I'll try harder . . . seriously, though, I hope you reconsider. Little of what I posted with regard to timing is set in stone. and the rule adjustments are simply to avoid the clusterfuck we got into this weekend. I'll take my share of heat for that, but I won't apologize for trying to correct the problem.

It's all well and good to have a chummy little group of "friends" getting together for something like this but, much like the Forum itself, if it just stays in it's own tiny little niche it is not going to last long.

As for Wetts comments about not recognizing players, I went through all the rosters as posted and could tell you what most are famous for. There is one roster where I needed help on 5 of the names and it is not TheMill's team. But then, I am a trivia and minutiae buff, so it's all just in what you are familiar with.
  • I couldn't disagree more...shocking I know.

In this and in most cases quality is much > quantity.

Vetting of drafters should be of much higher importance than draftees. A few simple PM's concerning guidelines could easily replace 1000 words of rules.

When rules are written in hardcopy is when loopholes can be found and circumvented without the ability to make right.....like the events witnessed. Leaving them open to the interpretation of the majority actually is a more foolproof method.
  • I like the new rules.
  • These look like a pretty good set of rules and are a great basis to start from... And where was Mole on vacation anyways? Vegas usually makes me much more relaxed and understanding..
    If someone doesn't want to play by next years rules so be it. Don't let the "virtual" door....
    Like a couple of others have said... can't we all just get along.. TheMill seemed like a good guy to me yesterday too.. and he didn't even contribute any of his chips to me... although I guess I have to be in a hand to gain chips don't I?

And I'm also in favour of letting any current participants drop out now if they so desire.. I'm staying in.

I'm also fully in support of Milo's efforts here...
  • Thanks, comp, but I am the one who dropped the ball viz. the Dead Man Walking. No harm done in the long run, but at least we made Sunday entertaining before the football started.
  • Can I get this stickied? Will make it easier to edit and update if I do not have to search for it every time. Thx.
  • did this pool happen? 2013?
  • Jacen299 wrote: »
    did this pool happen? 2013?

The Official CPF Dead Pool will be on again for 2013. Start looking at your draft picks soon.
  • Very soon, will be cooking something up by next weekend, just to get the ball rolling . . .
  • First rule of DP.

Wildbill7145 wins.

Just need one more to break the tie with Al.

Just checked my list. No candy.
  • I think Kahn or Klugman might pull out the win for you . . . lets keep a good thought, eh?
  • dibs on Zsa Zsa. . .
  • costanza wrote: »
    dibs on Zsa Zsa. . .

You need to reread the rules . . .
  • .... found rules
  • So we sticking to the proposed dates? Teams in by the 7th?
  • I have a bit of a personal issue going on with a friend of mine, but I will be posting the start up thread for Dead Pool IV by 1-3 December. There will likely be an adjustment to the timing originally posted in this thread. Have no fear, this will happen on time.
    I have a bit of a personal issue going on with a friend of mine

we are all good bro!

:laugh:
  • Why is it exactly 27 years old ? Shouldn't it be under 30? And I would suggest each team has at least one pick in that category.
    I read all the posts in the threads about the pool. Someone said the pool lost its lustre from early seasons when Brittany spears types use to get picked but now it's way more strategic.
    Maybe if each team has to have a under 30 pick it would add some flavour.
    Could keep the 27 = $20, add under 30 =$15
  • I was eyeing up hector macho camacho as a pick but he died yesterday. :(
  • Jacen299 wrote: »
    Why is it exactly 27 years old ? Shouldn't it be under 30? And I would suggest each team has at least one pick in that category.
    I read all the posts in the threads about the pool. Someone said the pool lost its lustre from early seasons when Brittany spears types use to get picked but now it's way more strategic.
    Maybe if each team has to have a under 30 pick it would add some flavour.
    Could keep the 27 = $20, add under 30 =$15

27 seems to be a cursed age for celebs. Many, many stars have died at 27. (Hendrix, Cobain, Whinehouse, etc).

Pinpointing that exact 27 was to add a bit of spice to the line-up by enticing players gambooool on a young star who can't handle their fame.

EDIT: I don't like the idea of forcing players to pick under a certain age. That's part of the strategy.
  • I see. Wouldn't a mandatory under 30 pick entice and bring a new element?
  • Do not care for the idea of any "mandatory" picks. You should not, imo, force someone to play the game outside of their chosen strategy. Some will pass up the big pot for a few smaller ones, and that is okay.
    I have a bit of a personal issue going on with a friend of mine, but I will be posting the start up thread for Dead Pool IV by 1-3 December. There will likely be an adjustment to the timing originally posted in this thread. Have no fear, this will happen on time.

......?
  • It means have patience grasshopper, and wait for the announcement . . . lol