Irunit4times 2012 Online Poker Sit n Go Challenge!

So I decided to create a challenge for myself for 2012!

I have decided to see how long it takes for me to turn a starting bankroll of $300 into $5,000. However, I will not be playing MTT or playing outside of my strict bankroll management system I have set up for myself. But will be multi tabling 4 games at a time of $3.50 9 man sit n gos.

My system is that I require a minimum of 20 buyins per level per single game that I play. Since I will be playing 4 games at a time, I will require a minimum of 80 buy in's per level and cannot move up otherwise.

I have decided to start off at $3.50 9 man turbo's which will require a minimum bankroll of $280. I will work my way through many games until I have reached at least $560 where I can then move up to the $7 games and so on.

I have even started a blog so that others can watch me as I complete my challenge and comment and/or learn about what I am doing.

To follow my blog with daily updates, check out My $5,000 Sit n Go Poker Challenge

I will be updating it as frequently as I play, and will be posting on here every now and then to show my status but most of my postings will be on the blog.

Please let me know what you think of my challenge for myself, how long you think it will take, if you've tracked your progress in ways like this etc.

Or even offer some input on taking down games and earning that $5,000 in as short a time as possible. Just remember this is only playing 9 man Turbo Sit n Go's within the bankroll management system I said above.

Comments

• Good luck
  • I will be checking your blog. Good luck
  • Thanks for the support!
  • i just posted my sng turbo strategy here, although apparently it's not good but feel free to check it out anyway.
  • Trigs, I have read your strategy, and it is not dissimilar from how I play at all, I find that in the micro games it becomes more of a shove fest in later stages opposed to in the higher limit games where a min raise will get you a fold.

Soo.... I have been grinding out some more games today and never had a day like this yet, kind of a crazy day, I have updated the blog if you want to read about it, but today is not the greatest of my triumphs thats for sure.
  • Well I have taken just an absolutely brutal beating today, have analyzed my game for these stake levels and will have to adjust for following days. Complete details are on the blog. BAHHHH what a day, couldnt win a race to save my life.....
  • In before suicide
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    In before suicide

He's local . . . I'll let you know if I hear sirens.

Good luck, Runit.
  • Milo wrote: »
    He's loco . . . I'll let you know if I hear sirens.

Good luck, Runit.

fyp?
  • Well had another day of playing yesterday and a lot came from it. Went from playing 4 $3.50 games and playing just terrible players, making the variance in the game much higher than it needs to be to playing 2 $7 games at a time. The difference in play with just a $3.50 increase in buy in was insane. Cashed 13 out of 20 games for the session and managed to make this weeks leaderboard for the Venus level $5 - $9.99 low orbit (20 games) and was ranked 20th, or tied for 18th.

Had a hell of a day and all has been updated and posted on my blog. Check it out, lots of great stuff for the day.

My $5,000 Sit n Go Poker Challenge
  • I would use more aggressive bankroll management. There's definitely no need for 80 buyins at 9-mans when you're bankroll building. I think something more like 40 where you're moving down when you loose 10 buyins or something would be more efficient/better overall. With 80 buyins you might not have to move down but it will probably take you twice as long to hit your goal.

Moving up and down constantly with more aggressive bank roll management >>> using strict/nitty bank roll management and rarely moving down. Be nitty once you hit mid-high stakes.
  • I have to disagree, I think patience is one of the biggest keys to poker, and using proper bankroll management is key to having success. I could go right to playing $30 games, have a good day then to $60 and $100 games and if I have a good two weeks be at my goal. But what did that prove, that at higher stakes, yes you can make more money and quicker. But what about when you go on that down swing and you went from playing the $100 games to $7 or $15. Its no fun moving down a level.

Also this is to be treated as a marathon, because by grinding out each level to move up in stakes has a satisfaction that goes with it not to mention the swings can still be absorbed within reason and still be able to play at the same level. The 80 buy ins I think is misunderstood, yes its a total of 80 buy ins for a level 1 game at a time, but when I play 4 games at a time, theoretically I have 4 times more than the sit n go is worth on the table and out of my bankroll, so I need to have a minimum of 20 sessions ill call it worth of bankroll to play at the levels. You cant treat a multi tablers bankroll the same as you would a single tabler.

That also being said, for my challenge, it is much more fun to show how playing in a proper bankroll, and getting good and bad swings is absorbed and chronicled to reaching $5,000 over however long it takes. Not just jumping to high limits running good saying I did it, and busting out a week later cuz I played too high.

If you dont have patience to grind level after level of SNG's then cash game may be more to your suiting, because SNGs require a ton of patience.

my $.02
  • Vekked wrote: »
    I would use more aggressive bankroll management. There's definitely no need for 80 buyins at 9-mans when you're bankroll building. I think something more like 40 where you're moving down when you loose 10 buyins or something would be more efficient/better overall. With 80 buyins you might not have to move down but it will probably take you twice as long to hit your goal.

Moving up and down constantly with more aggressive bank roll management >>> using strict/nitty bank roll management and rarely moving down. Be nitty once you hit mid-high stakes.

It really depends on your mentality. If you feel like you failed if you have to move down, then don't move up until you think you are ready. But, if you have the discipline to move up and down, depending on how you are doing, then you can take full advantage of your upswings and minimize your losses when you start losing.
  • ...my $.02

Well obviously you can go about it however you like but for what it's worth I have played 10k SNGs and made my first 5k in poker almost exclusively playing 9-man SNGs, so I understand from experience what it takes to do what you're doing and the patience it takes.

I'm not saying you HAVE to do it this way, but if you can deal with moving up and down stakes it is more efficient most times to find a balance between moving up and not going broke. If you're disregarding risk of ruin and just trying to gamble your way up to highstakes really fast then I agree it doesn't really prove anything. That's not at all what I'm saying to do. I'm just saying that IF your goal is to build a bank roll efficiently and maximize your profits (as it should be everyone's goal in poker), your bank roll management strategy is just as important as what you're doing with regards to playing. Having a strategy in which you rarely ever have to move down is really important if you're making a living/playing high stakes, but is very suboptimal if you're moving up. A strategy which involves moving up with a buffer of 8-12 buyins (that number's arbitrary, I'm just using 2-3 sets of 4-tabling) and moving down if you lose them or staying there if you run good could be better in terms of achieving your goal.

The fact is that the difference in skill from $1 games to $15 games in SNGs is probably really tiny, and there's a lot of value in moving up stakes efficiently if you're a winning player and getting to a level that challenges you. Certain leaks don't become apparent until you hit certain stakes, so sometimes spending too much time working your way up to a certain level is just more time before you actually find out what you really need to work on.

If you already know all this then disregard, but I'm just offering the perspective of someone who's been there, and stuff I wish I knew when I was there.
  • djgolfcan wrote: »
    It really depends on your mentality. If you feel like you failed if you have to move down, then don't move up until you think you are ready. But, if you have the discipline to move up and down, depending on how you are doing, then you can take full advantage of your upswings and minimize your losses when you start losing.

Well yea obv if you can't take the swings and moving up and down much then it might not be the best for you, but I'm talking theoretically/mathematically (and imo, practically) more aggressive BR management is better for building a bank roll/moving up stakes. Taking 2 years to get to a certain point then looking back and realizing you could've done it in 6 months probably isn't that fun either.