my pokerstars micro turbo STT strategy

I was motivated to write out my strategy that I use for turbo STTs (specifically on stars in relation to their blind levels). Hopefully some can learn from it and others can critique it so I can learn more. Enjoy!

10-20 blinds:
I play very tight in the first level. I will pretty much only play decently strong hands (AQo+, AJs+, 77+ although seeing a cheap flop and set mining with lower pairs is also a good idea at this point). Due to the fact that it is a turbo and the blinds are still very low, some players will take chances to try and double up right away or else start another tournament. Therefore, you should be playing your premium hands very aggressively since there's a good chance that someone with too aggressive of a style (i.e. someone who thinks turbos are all luck and coin flips) will be calling/pushing with a less than best holding.

15-30 blinds:
Blinds are still pretty low, but by now you should be able to see two distinct types of players at the table - those who are extremely tight and haven't played a hand yet, and those who are extremely aggressive and have been playing many pots. In my experience, there is usually mostly tight players with a few over aggressive ones sprinkled in.

At this level, you're still looking to play strong hands, but I will start to pick on the tight players who have folded everything to this point. I will raise weaker holdings against them when I can open preflop as I know they will fold everything but premium hands still. I will also try to punish the aggressive players by playing back at them when I'm in position with a decent holding. Bluffing overly aggressive players in the early levels is a great tactic if you can take advantage of it by labeling the villains early. They are expecting you to play tight like most opponents so a well timed raise/reraise can knock them off the hand and win you a decent pot early. Even a 200 chip pot at this point is a very nice hand. I do suggest exercising caution with this though as you really don't want to be bluffing off a lot of chips in the early going.

25-50 blinds:
At this point, you should still be relatively close to your starting stack unless you managed to hit a big hand early (in which case you may have the chip lead and that makes single table tournaments so much easier). I will begin betting 2.5 x BB preflop to open since 125 chips is probably a significant portion of your stack (as opposed to 3 x BB in the first couple levels).

You still don't want to be getting too crazy yet as there is still some play at this blind level. You want to really start putting pressure on your opponents and that means open raising preflop in position when you get the chance. As mentioned, many micro turbo STT players are way too tight. Stealing a few blinds at this level can make a huge difference later on as every chip counts.

Your stack size plays a huge role. When entering a pot, you have to consider the size of the bets to come and your overall stack size. Let's say you have 1250 and are holding an AJ in the HJ. It's folded to you and you throw in 125. Button calls, BB calls and you see a flop with 400 in the pot. BB donks out 300 on the flop to bring the pot to 700 and you have 1125 left. These numbers are huge. The pot is almost the size of your stack already and it's only the flop!

My point is that your commitment to the pot is relative to the number of chips you have in your stack. I'm not going to give specific ranges and ICM calculations (you can find those online if you want.) You really have to consider what your actions will be on later streets with the pot growing very large compared to your stack. Generally, it might be the right play to over bet push a flop to win a pot around 50% of your stack. You might be losing some value here by pushing off a weaker hand that may have paid you off more, but the limited chances of that happening plus the additional advantage of having a bigger chip stack for later play offsets it.

My advice is to have a pretty tight calling range and a relatively looser opening range preflop. This is probably the number one mistake I see opponents make in turbos - they call off much lighter than they should since the increasing blinds start to get them worried. The simple fact is you need to have a much stronger hand to call than to raise. Obviously it depends on the specific opponent, but this is generally a good style of play for turbos, and mastering it essential.

50-100 blinds:
If you've made it this far, you've either won a few hands and are sitting comfortably, or you've lost or been pretty tight and now you're low on chips. Relatively speaking, now the blinds are huge compared the stack sizes. This is when the push or fold tactics really start to emerge.

Personally, if I have a stack of around 1300+ I will stick with my regular 2.5 x BB open raise. Anything less and I'm looking to push it all in preflop. My rationale is that the players don't have the stack sizes to be fooling around in pots. The majority of pots will fall into the extreme categories of just stealing the blinds or multiple opponents pushing all in. I am more than satisfied just winning the blinds at this point and adding 150 to my stack.

Position is extremely important still as you will want to attack in late position in unopened pots. Depending on the style of the opponents to your left, you should be looking to play aggressively with almost any two cards. When folded around to you and you have around 10 BBs or less, you should be more than willing to push it in. Again, I don't really want to reference a specific range since you can easily look up ICM calculations and decide on your own general range.

It also slightly depends on how many players are still left in the tournament at this point. If you have a full table of nits who haven't played a hand yet, then you may be able to take it a bit slower as the blinds won't hit you as often. If you are at a table with multiple hyper aggressive players who have already knocked out a few opponents, then the blinds may be coming around quicker and you might have to open your pushing range a bit sooner. This is probably a very fine line, but in any case I'd suggest that leaning towards the aggressive side is generally a better idea.

75-150 blinds and up:

The BB is now 10% of the starting stack size which is astronomical. There is little to no action preflop that isn't an all in (and this includes some of the opponents with big stacks who don't realize that pushing it all in is just a risk not worth taking at this point).

The best strategy I can offer has already been mentioned earlier, but now is more prevalent than before. Obviously, if you have a premium hand you're pushing (possibly even against multiple opponents depending on their levels of aggressiveness up to this point). Your pushing ranges in unopened pots in good position should be almost infinite - yes, that means if you look down and see a joker and a deuce of horseshoes you still should still be pushing all in if your stack size calls for it - i.e. around 10 BBs or less. In general, I will push if my stack is around 1800 or less at the 150 BB level and 2300 or less at the 200 BB level and I have something that even remotely resembles a hand. With a bigger stack, I will open with the regular 2.5 x BB but 2 x BB is okay as well if you prefer (I don't - in fact I hate the min raise).

You have to realize that at this point, you may open push and get called by a better hand and lose. It happens...a lot. You will experience a lot of variance in turbos. However, you can't be worried about it happening. Your best chance to win comes from staying aggressive and pushing the action. You want to force your opponents to be put to a decision for all their chips. If you lose, at least you went down fighting.

As mentioned previously, the biggest mistake I see is players calling off light against all in preflop pushes. There are two main reasons for this: 1) players feel that in turbos weaker hands become stronger because of the quick pace of the blinds (this is true in a sense, but it does not directly correlate in the way many may think); and 2) they are not taking the villain's previous actions into account (calling an all in from a very loose player is completely different than calling an all in by someone who has played zero hands up to now).

One can easily see that calling an all in is a much more difficult decision than pushing all in. Therefore, trying to avoid this decision when possible and forcing your opponents to make it instead is a great strategy. Once again, I suggest finding an ICM calculator online and fooling around with some hands and ranges to find what works best for you. Knowing when to call an all in and when to fold and wait for a better spot is one of the most difficult skills you will have to master to do well in turbo STTs and it is usually very opponent dependent. However, I will again suggest to lean to the side of aggression (in that you should be the one pushing more often) and fold against most pushes until you feel more comfortable about where you stand against your opponent's range.

I also want to mention something about opponents' stack sizes. You really want to be picking on the smaller stacks if you can. Stealing from the smaller, tighter stacks is a great way to chip up. If you manage to get a big stack early, you should be looking to punish everyone at the table. An early double up can lead to a completely dominating style of constant aggression with the smaller stacks just trying to avoid you. Also, opening your calling range against late position small stacks is usually a good idea at the later levels. At certain points, even the tightest players will have to push with any two cards to avoid blinding out. My general rule (when I don't hold a premium hand obviously) is that I will allow myself to call a short stack push if three conditions are met. 1) I am last to act (or almost last which will most likely make me push over top of the short stack to isolate), 2) if losing the hand still leaves me with at least 8 BBs, and 3) I have reason to believe that the villain is pushing light (this could be a variety of reasons usually from previous experience with the opponent).

I may also add a section on bubble and ITM strategies at some point if I feel up to it.

Comments

• trigs wrote: »
    I was motivated to write out my strategy that I use for turbo STTs (specifically on stars in relation to their blind levels). Hopefully some can learn from it and others can critique it so I can learn more. Enjoy!

10-20 blinds:
    I play very tight in the first level. I will pretty much only play decently strong hands (AQo+, AJs+, 77+ although seeing a cheap flop and set mining with lower pairs is also a good idea at this point). Due to the fact that it is a turbo and the blinds are still very low, some players will take chances to try and double up right away or else start another tournament. Therefore, you should be playing your premium hands very aggressively since there's a good chance that someone with too aggressive of a style (i.e. someone who thinks turbos are all luck and coin flips) will be calling/pushing with a less than best holding.

15-30 blinds:
    Blinds are still pretty low, but by now you should be able to see two distinct types of players at the table - those who are extremely tight and haven't played a hand yet, and those who are extremely aggressive and have been playing many pots. In my experience, there is usually mostly tight players with a few over aggressive ones sprinkled in.

At this level, you're still looking to play strong hands, but I will start to pick on the tight players who have folded everything to this point. I will raise weaker holdings against them when I can open preflop as I know they will fold everything but premium hands still. I will also try to punish the aggressive players by playing back at them when I'm in position with a decent holding. Bluffing overly aggressive players in the early levels is a great tactic if you can take advantage of it by labeling the villains early. They are expecting you to play tight like most opponents so a well timed raise/reraise can knock them off the hand and win you a decent pot early. Even a 200 chip pot at this point is a very nice hand. I do suggest exercising caution with this though as you really don't want to be bluffing off a lot of chips in the early going.

25-50 blinds:
    At this point, you should still be relatively close to your starting stack unless you managed to hit a big hand early (in which case you may have the chip lead and that makes single table tournaments so much easier). I will begin betting 2.5 x BB preflop to open since 125 chips is probably a significant portion of your stack (as opposed to 3 x BB in the first couple levels).

You still don't want to be getting too crazy yet as there is still some play at this blind level. You want to really start putting pressure on your opponents and that means open raising preflop in position when you get the chance. As mentioned, many micro turbo STT players are way too tight. Stealing a few blinds at this level can make a huge difference later on as every chip counts.

Your stack size plays a huge role. When entering a pot, you have to consider the size of the bets to come and your overall stack size. Let's say you have 1250 and are holding an AJ in the HJ. It's folded to you and you throw in 125. Button calls, BB calls and you see a flop with 400 in the pot. BB donks out 300 on the flop to bring the pot to 700 and you have 1125 left. These numbers are huge. The pot is almost the size of your stack already and it's only the flop!

My point is that your commitment to the pot is relative to the number of chips you have in your stack. I'm not going to give specific ranges and ICM calculations (you can find those online if you want.) You really have to consider what your actions will be on later streets with the pot growing very large compared to your stack. Generally, it might be the right play to over bet push a flop to win a pot around 50% of your stack. You might be losing some value here by pushing off a weaker hand that may have paid you off more, but the limited chances of that happening plus the additional advantage of having a bigger chip stack for later play offsets it.

My advice is to have a pretty tight calling range and a relatively looser opening range preflop. This is probably the number one mistake I see opponents make in turbos - they call off much lighter than they should since the increasing blinds start to get them worried. The simple fact is you need to have a much stronger hand to call than to raise. Obviously it depends on the specific opponent, but this is generally a good style of play for turbos, and mastering it essential.

50-100 blinds:
    If you've made it this far, you've either won a few hands and are sitting comfortably, or you've lost or been pretty tight and now you're low on chips. Relatively speaking, now the blinds are huge compared the stack sizes. This is when the push or fold tactics really start to emerge.

Personally, if I have a stack of around 1300+ I will stick with my regular 2.5 x BB open raise. Anything less and I'm looking to push it all in preflop. My rationale is that the players don't have the stack sizes to be fooling around in pots. The majority of pots will fall into the extreme categories of just stealing the blinds or multiple opponents pushing all in. I am more than satisfied just winning the blinds at this point and adding 150 to my stack.

Position is extremely important still as you will want to attack in late position in unopened pots. Depending on the style of the opponents to your left, you should be looking to play aggressively with almost any two cards. When folded around to you and you have around 10 BBs or less, you should be more than willing to push it in. Again, I don't really want to reference a specific range since you can easily look up ICM calculations and decide on your own general range.

It also slightly depends on how many players are still left in the tournament at this point. If you have a full table of nits who haven't played a hand yet, then you may be able to take it a bit slower as the blinds won't hit you as often. If you are at a table with multiple hyper aggressive players who have already knocked out a few opponents, then the blinds may be coming around quicker and you might have to open your pushing range a bit sooner. This is probably a very fine line, but in any case I'd suggest that leaning towards the aggressive side is generally a better idea.

75-150 blinds and up:

The BB is now 10% of the starting stack size which is astronomical. There is little to no action preflop that isn't an all in (and this includes some of the opponents with big stacks who don't realize that pushing it all in is just a risk not worth taking at this point).

The best strategy I can offer has already been mentioned earlier, but now is more prevalent than before. Obviously, if you have a premium hand you're pushing (possibly even against multiple opponents depending on their levels of aggressiveness up to this point). Your pushing ranges in unopened pots in good position should be almost infinite - yes, that means if you look down and see a joker and a deuce of horseshoes you still should still be pushing all in if your stack size calls for it - i.e. around 10 BBs or less. In general, I will push if my stack is around 1800 or less at the 150 BB level and 2300 or less at the 200 BB level and I have something that even remotely resembles a hand. With a bigger stack, I will open with the regular 2.5 x BB but 2 x BB is okay as well if you prefer (I don't - in fact I hate the min raise).

You have to realize that at this point, you may open push and get called by a better hand and lose. It happens...a lot. You will experience a lot of variance in turbos. However, you can't be worried about it happening. Your best chance to win comes from staying aggressive and pushing the action. You want to force your opponents to be put to a decision for all their chips. If you lose, at least you went down fighting.

As mentioned previously, the biggest mistake I see is players calling off light against all in preflop pushes. There are two main reasons for this: 1) players feel that in turbos weaker hands become stronger because of the quick pace of the blinds (this is true in a sense, but it does not directly correlate in the way many may think); and 2) they are not taking the villain's previous actions into account (calling an all in from a very loose player is completely different than calling an all in by someone who has played zero hands up to now).

One can easily see that calling an all in is a much more difficult decision than pushing all in. Therefore, trying to avoid this decision when possible and forcing your opponents to make it instead is a great strategy. Once again, I suggest finding an ICM calculator online and fooling around with some hands and ranges to find what works best for you. Knowing when to call an all in and when to fold and wait for a better spot is one of the most difficult skills you will have to master to do well in turbo STTs and it is usually very opponent dependent. However, I will again suggest to lean to the side of aggression (in that you should be the one pushing more often) and fold against most pushes until you feel more comfortable about where you stand against your opponent's range.

I also want to mention something about opponents' stack sizes. You really want to be picking on the smaller stacks if you can. Stealing from the smaller, tighter stacks is a great way to chip up. If you manage to get a big stack early, you should be looking to punish everyone at the table. An early double up can lead to a completely dominating style of constant aggression with the smaller stacks just trying to avoid you. Also, opening your calling range against late position small stacks is usually a good idea at the later levels. At certain points, even the tightest players will have to push with any two cards to avoid blinding out. My general rule (when I don't hold a premium hand obviously) is that I will allow myself to call a short stack push if three conditions are met. 1) I am last to act (or almost last which will most likely make me push over top of the short stack to isolate), 2) if losing the hand still leaves me with at least 8 BBs, and 3) I have reason to believe that the villain is pushing light (this could be a variety of reasons usually from previous experience with the opponent).

I may also add a section on bubble and ITM strategies at some point if I feel up to it.

tldr and why is it in bold...the part I did read at the start sounded like a copy of a 2003 sng strategy
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    tldr
    i find it mind blowing that you wouldn't take the time to read his post but you valued being rude so much that you came on to say this

lets encourage creativity ...especially when its about poker....

:bs:
  • when im more human ill go through it and see if there anything i do different
  • darbday wrote: »
    i find it mind blowing that you wouldn't take the time to read his post but you valued being rude so much that you came on to say this

well, I would have read the entire post if the first several paragraphs weren't a wrote 2003 sng summary...in bold

edit: ok, I scanned through a few paragraphs and see some glaring errors (IMO), keep in mind that I don't play sngs anymore, but I think there are some basic faults in there...I'll let someone else go over this in detail

PS -- I can't always be so soft and cuddly
  • lightsouttt1 said, "i hate donks-wetts"
    lightsouttt1 said, "wett donk"
    lightsouttt1 said, "pushing all game"
    PS -- I can't always be so soft and cuddly
    me neither ^-^
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    lightsouttt1 said, "i hate donks-wetts"

Haegl202: raises 1440 to 2640
    forboon: raises 19028 to 21668 and is all-in
    asarele: folds
    AKboxerAK: folds
    zagis2006: folds
    ggggg77ggggg: folds
    Skowronekpro: folds
    Haegl202: folds
    Uncalled bet (19028) returned to forboon
    Haegl202 said, "batman time."
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    lightsouttt1 said, "i hate donks-wetts"

got you some goofballs?
  • KaRoddy Kid said, "wheres yer post-flop play?"
  • I like posts like these from players of any level because its nice to see others mindsets. So whether I agree or not on things I still get something from it. My biggest difference is that I strive to play alot of pots early. I don't like to call 3x's as much but alot of people limp or min these days and folding decent suited cards is kind of a mistake. Not sure how far I would go but hands like q7s ill never fold from the sb if its a limped pot

This is of course because of implied odds and weak players in the early game. But with a tougher field these days than '2003' I think its really important that the weakest players chips go to you.

I also have a new note color called 'he is the one'. There are players out there that hyper give their chips away. When I recognize a player who will surely bust in the next 10 hands he gets marked and if im ever fortunate enough to play against him again then his chips are for forboon.

and its likely you need to call shoves more. alot of my chips come from calling shoves, especially if its a turbo. Many people are shoving atc from the sb, and lots are shoving atc from the button with around 10bbs. the calling ranges can be like 70-80%. Can't do it vs everyone, but we need that edge if its ever there. The hint of course is the better the player the looser you can call.

I value calling over shoving because everyone can shove decent these days, so you won't have a high roi just because you can shove well...alot of the edge can be gained from calling better.

also you can pretty much raise atc and cbet profitabley from the button and cutoff, so I think its important our range widens up alot in those spots.
    tldr and why is it in bold...the part I did read at the start sounded like a copy of a 2003 sng strategy

1) it's not in bold (i didn't write it in bold and it doesn't come up as bold when i see it on my screen so i have no idea what you're talking about there)

2) so my strategy was a winning strategy in 2003 but now it's inadequate/outdated? please elaborate as this was the point of me writing this.
    I like posts like these from players of any level because its nice to see others mindsets. So whether I agree or not on things I still get something from it. My biggest difference is that I strive to play alot of pots early. I don't like to call 3x's as much but alot of people limp or min these days and folding decent suited cards is kind of a mistake. Not sure how far I would go but hands like q7s ill never fold from the sb if its a limped pot

This is of course because of implied odds and weak players in the early game. But with a tougher field these days than '2003' I think its really important that the weakest players chips go to you.

I also have a new note color called 'he is the one'. There are players out there that hyper give their chips away. When I recognize a player who will surely bust in the next 10 hands he gets marked and if im ever fortunate enough to play against him again then his chips are for forboon.

and its likely you need to call shoves more. alot of my chips come from calling shoves, especially if its a turbo. Many people are shoving atc from the sb, and lots are shoving atc from the button with around 10bbs. the calling ranges can be like 70-80%. Can't do it vs everyone, but we need that edge if its ever there. The hint of course is the better the player the looser you can call.

I value calling over shoving because everyone can shove decent these days, so you won't have a high roi just because you can shove well...alot of the edge can be gained from calling better.

also you can pretty much raise atc and cbet profitabley from the button and cutoff, so I think its important our range widens up alot in those spots.

i agree with almost everything you said. i completely agree about the calling/over shoving has to be done a lot and done well. perhaps i did not express that well enough. i just merely suggested that you be cautious about it when you're first learning and to not call off too light too often before you can get a good feel for the opponents range.

obviously, i disagree with the playing a lot of hands early. i just find that it's not worth the risk at the micro levels because there are just too many donks who will throw chips around because it's a turbo and you have to play turbos fast, or so they think. this makes it easy to pick up chips if you have a hand, but difficult to bully since they won't back down right away. once the dust settles a bit and the insane have be made obviously know, then i think you should pick up the pace and start to play more hands. granted, we are disagreeing on maybe 1 blind level difference which is only 5 minutes or less than 10 hands.

it's gta. i expected no less.
  • I just got home, but I will post later what I saw that I disagree with in the OP...in the meantime can you post your sng stats so I can have a point of reference for your OP?
  • thanks gta. i am interested in your opinion.

not quite sure why my sng stats are relevant though. does my post mean something different if i'm a losing player? i'll post what i have access to. i've been playing sngs forever. it's how i started out in poker (playing the $5 ones on pokerroom.com back in the day), and how i built my original roll. may i see your sng stats as well for a frame of reference?

full tilt (according to sharkscope - not sure if i trust this though as it says i've only played 252 games which definitely sounds wrong to me):
    average stake - $4
    average profit - $0
    average ROI - 14%
    total profit - $95

on party (according to sharkscope):
    average stake - $6
    average profit - $3
    average ROI - 13%
    total profit - $181

my own stat keeping (this is only from around august of last year and is pretty much just from stars):
    buy-ins: $767.99
    won: $782.25
    profit: $14.26
    ROI: 1.86%
    ITM: 47.5%
  • last night i was thinking more about playing a lot of hands early, and i thought it is also an advantage in turbos to have your opponents thinking that you're tighter than you really are in the later blind levels. the reason for this is that you will have to start pushing with weak hands just to steal blinds and stay afloat. with a tight image, my opponents will have to tighten their range a bit even when i open up my own range later. granted, if they're good players they'll notice my change eventually, but it'll still give me the chance to steal some bigger blinds when crunch time rolls around and make it that much more difficult for them to make proper all in calls against my pushes.

now if i was seen as loose aggressive from the start, my opponents' calling ranges are wider against me later on which only works against me in the long run in push/fold poker. the fact is, the majority of the time i'm hoping for a fold from them when i push in these situations and a tighter image helps me get that when it counts.

idk, maybe i'm just talking out of my ass. i can't deny that i've never started a table with guns blazing and did not have success with that style. i guess i just prefer the former approach.
  • trigs wrote: »
    last night i was thinking more about playing a lot of hands early, and i thought it is also an advantage in turbos to have your opponents thinking that you're tighter than you really are in the later blind levels. the reason for this is that you will have to start pushing with weak hands just to steal blinds and stay afloat. with a tight image, my opponents will have to tighten their range a bit even when i open up my own range later. granted, if they're good players they'll notice my change eventually, but it'll still give me the chance to steal some bigger blinds when crunch time rolls around and make it that much more difficult for them to make proper all in calls against my pushes.

now if i was seen as loose aggressive from the start, my opponents' calling ranges are wider against me later on which only works against me in the long run in push/fold poker. the fact is, the majority of the time i'm hoping for a fold from them when i push in these situations and a tighter image helps me get that when it counts.

idk, maybe i'm just talking out of my ass. i can't deny that i've never started a table with guns blazing and did not have success with that style. i guess i just prefer the former approach.

image isn't important with these players and thats an important thing. and the better players who see image expect you to open up later, and they know early game isn't the same as late game. Also these players don't think.

but im not saying guns blazing ...i just mean any cheap pot with decent cards in the first couple levels, limped pots and min raised pots...

make sure you prefer whats optimal..not 'style' but im not saying im optimal
  • High blind selective shove works very well :) It also induce ur opponent calling light (crying call) when u shove with a real hand.