Help, internet connectivity

i called shaw and they say that the modem is nogt showing connected to my computer. they said it might be the network card. how expensive is that ?

Comments

• djgolfcan wrote: »
    i called shaw and they say that the modem is nogt showing connected to my computer. they said it might be the network card. how expensive is that ?
    cheap one is 100 bux, would prob work fine...no more than 200 im sure. if there wasn't a power surge then i would assume its something else first.

does another computer work with the same Ethernet cable?

sometimes your computer can't communicate with the network card and it can be fixed.

sometimes firewall or something blocks the computer from comunicating with the modem

sometimes the cable or the ports you plug it into are bad......

also try a different cable and reverse the ends....maybe you tried all that
  • darbday wrote: »
    cheap one is 100 bux, would prob work fine...no more than 200 im sure. if there wasn't a power surge then i would assume its something else first.

does another computer work with the same Ethernet cable?

sometimes your computer can't communicate with the network card and it can be fixed.

sometimes firewall or something blocks the computer from comunicating with the modem

also try a different cable and reverse the ends....maybe you tried all that

the cable must be ok as i am using it on my daughters laptop right now.
    the cable must be ok as i am using it on my daughters laptop right now.
    assuming your other comp is a desktop.....

they have two types of plug-ins for 'ethernet' with you should have as a cable like an oversize phone chord

some are integrated, so not removable and some are in card slots you replace like old video game...

but more importantly i guess is that some removable cards have a light to show they are functioning.

and on the modem sometimes there is a light marked 'pc' or something that tells you if your comp is plugged in. It would go on with the laptop and off if you unplugged it.

other than that if you go into device manager in windows you can find your network card and see if its functioning......

don't know if you did all that...sometimes tech support can be awful...but sometimes it looks like a card failure but its something easy..
  • thanks Darb. i will look and see if it is working like you said, through devices. i am trying to take down a tourney at the moment. thank goodness my daughter was home from school with her laptop.
    thanks Darb. i will look and see if it is working like you said, through devices. i am trying to take down a tourney at the moment. thank goodness my daughter was home from school with her laptop.
    haha ok ok....glgl....

should have asked first....what was the likely cause of this...or what changed..?
    or what changed..?

always this, of course we can't always see the change.
    $14.50 is what we sell them for, so $100. would be a real rip off. If you still need help in the morning perhaps I can help. PM me...
  • compuease wrote: »
    $14.50 is what we sell them for, so $100. would be a real rip off. If you still need help in the morning perhaps I can help. PM me...
    ha...:-X

i instantly thought wireless....but they aren't that much these days either apparently
  • thanks comp, glad its not going to be expensive to take care of.
  • comp is the best, or at least a very close facsimile.

So . . . didja win? Your fans wanna know.
  • Milo wrote: »
    comp is the best, or at least a very close facsimile.

So . . . didja win? Your fans wanna know.

According to sharkscope...4th for $518
  • or the OMG Thread
    djgolfcan wrote: »
    Sad way for it to end. $524 cheeseburgers to console me. Thanks for the rail SP.

PokerStars Game #72351178210: Tournament #551011286, $4.00+$0.40 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level XXXV (15000/30000) - 2011/12/18 1:06:03 ET
    Table '551011286 8' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
    Seat 2: snico 1 (1038033 in chips)
    Seat 3: djgolfcan (481195 in chips)
    Seat 4: mondaego (1054840 in chips)
    Seat 5: tiinchen1984 (2669932 in chips)
    snico 1: posts the ante 3750
    djgolfcan: posts the ante 3750
    mondaego: posts the ante 3750
    tiinchen1984: posts the ante 3750
    djgolfcan: posts small blind 15000
    mondaego: posts big blind 30000
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to djgolfcan [Ah As]
    tiinchen1984: folds
    snico 1: folds
    djgolfcan: raises 30000 to 60000
    mondaego: raises 150000 to 210000
    djgolfcan: raises 267445 to 477445 and is all-in
    mondaego: calls 267445
    *** FLOP *** [3h Tc 6h]
    *** TURN *** [3h Tc 6h] [Jc]
    *** RIVER *** [3h Tc 6h Jc] [2h]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    djgolfcan: shows [Ah As] (a pair of Aces)
    mondaego: shows (three of a kind, Tens)
    mondaego collected 969890 from pot
    djgolfcan finished the tournament in 4th place and received $524.40.
    snico 1 said, "1sick"
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 969890 | Rake 0
    Board [3h Tc 6h Jc 2h]
    Seat 2: snico 1 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 3: djgolfcan (small blind) showed [Ah As] and lost with a pair of Aces
    Seat 4: mondaego (big blind) showed and won (969890) with three of a kind, Tens
    Seat 5: tiinchen1984 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
  • 524 cheezeburgerz is goot . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    524 cheezeburgerz is goot . . .

Not the next morning it isn't...
  • Nothing a good cup of strong coffee won't help with. Or indulge in anything from McD's. All remaining cargo will be shed within 30 minutes. Guaranteed.
  • still having problems connecting to internet. Help Comp !!
    still having problems connecting to internet. Help Comp !!
    do you change anything yet like new network card?
  • I went out and bought a new one today but I had a computer guy here and he said that my ard was fine. So, I called shaw again and after a re-start of my modem, I am up and running again !!

Whew.
    I went out and bought a new one today but I had a computer guy here and he said that my ard was fine. So, I called shaw again and after a re-start of my modem, I am up and running again !!

Whew.
    that sounds more like it
    still having problems connecting to internet. Help Comp !!

As I said pm me and I could have called you and likely talked you through it. Always, always, always, power off/on your modem/router, etc.. That's always my first suggestion and I thought you had already done that, especially since your laptop was working. Glad it's working now.
  • ITT shaw and darb both give wild speculations and fail, comp's first step is the one that fixes everything.
  • When you've been around as long as comp has, everything is routine.
  • Darbday wrote: »
    if there wasn't a power surge then i would assume its something else first.
    ITT shaw and darb both give wild speculations and fail, comp's first step is the one that fixes everything.
    what thread you reading? :mad:
    they said it might be the network card.
    darbday wrote: »
    cheap one is 100 bux, would prob work fine...no more than 200 im sure.

also try a different cable and reverse the ends....
    darbday wrote: »
    other than that if you go into device manager in windows you can find your network card and see if its functioning......
    compuease wrote: »
    Always, always, always, power off/on your modem/router, etc.. That's always my first suggestion

I'm reading the thread where this shit was posted.
  • I'm reading the thread where this shit was posted.
    was trying to double check the network card before he ran out to buy a new one :-\ its not often the issue unless a power surge....

truth is the shaw guy can reset the modem from hq, so it prob wasn't the issue. coupled with the fact that the laptop was working and the comp wasn't.

my initial point tho, was it sounded like the shaw guy lost interest
  • other possible solutions I've come across:

the screen was off
    the computer was off
    the computer wasn't plugged in
    the wall socket was turned off
    you don't have an account with us
    you don't have a modem
    your Internet IS working you just don't know what that means (open a browser)

Did you turn your modem off and on? Ya!
    No you didn't because im looking at a status screen right now and it says your modem has been running 30 consecutive days...

Do you have a router? no
    Are you lying....you won't get in trouble? ok yes
  • don't give up your day job.. :)
    you don't have an account with us

but still classic.

Ross: did you call the insurance company? What did they say?

Chandler: Oh, they said "you don't have insurance here, so stop calling"