how do you conduct your HH analysis?

when you review your hand histories, what do you look for? what stats are you concerned about in general? do you run certain filters? do you use specific reports? do you mark specific hands for reviews? etc.

(i'm specifically looking for SNG and MTT HH analysis, but i'd still be interested for cash games as well.)

i'm just trying to create a good HH analysis routine to make sure that i'm not missing out on any important information that i should be considering.

Comments

• The sword that can't cut itself.

I hear a lot of players on 2 plus 2 saying they spend hours every night or week doing self analysis and get nowhere. I think thats silly, not only analyzing a hh as the person who made the decision in the first place but also using the same analyzer who never gets better at analyzing. results = poker stars is rigged argggg!!!!

That being said if we use ev as our marker we can do some ev calcs off the table with range and pot odds to see if we were right in our math assumption. So we can decide if a play was profitable but we won't be able to self analyze and decide if it was optimal.

And something should be said about cash vs mtt. In cash the blinds don't change so every decision can be easily related to every other hand. For example say we open 87s from the hijack and we want check if its profitable. Cash is no problem its just a stat. In tourney play we have different bind levels we must convert, different stages of the game, very different stack sizes (very short, short, med, big...etc) and so on.

Another thing about cash is we have way more street by street info. This is usually what reports are good for, in tourney we may never have a big enough sample size from players for even simple things like 3bet%

So that puts it in perspective a little I think. I just imagine 2 + 2 kids analyzing their own play going, "yup i agree with that, yup i agree with that, yup, hey whats going on I'm doing everything perfect according to me?"

But to give a real answer to the question, I save all hands where I wasn't sure what to do, where I don't have time to do the math or use stove for the ranges. I also save hands that I'm not sure if they are a mathematical shove, then I run them through the nash calculator later. Sometimes I come across a hand that conveys a question I wanted to ask on the forum.
    ** I always keep a notepad open to copy and paste hh's ...sometimes I won't review them for a week. Prob should be done right away.

As for stats I think its important we tweak our poker rather than our stats. Don't know if that make sense but I don't think a lot of esp mtt players built a solid game on analyzing stats....its good to do but i think its a lot more cash game. Even if your just looking at it on your own you'll realize T2o is a fold way fast than realizing your vpip should be 19 instead of 20.

cliff: post hh's and review shoves in sitngowiz or nash
  • thanks for the comments darb.

sitngowiz isn't free, is it?
  • trigs wrote: »
    thanks for the comments darb.

sitngowiz isn't free, is it?
    no but you should try the trial if you haven't....just learning how to use it and what its about will help your game huge

but if you already understand it then this site is free... HoldemResources.net: Beta ICM Nash Calculator

it can be more accurate but its not as user friendly
  • darbday wrote: »
    no but you should try the trial if you haven't....just learning how to use it and what its about will help your game huge

but if you already understand it then this site is free... HoldemResources.net: Beta ICM Nash Calculator

it can be more accurate but its not as user friendly

cheers.
  • darbday wrote: »
    The sword that can't cut itself.

I hear a lot of players on 2 plus 2 saying they spend hours every night or week doing self analysis and get nowhere. I think thats silly, not only analyzing a hh as the person who made the decision in the first place but also using the same analyzer who never gets better at analyzing. results = poker stars is rigged argggg!!!!

That being said if we use ev as our marker we can do some ev calcs off the table with range and pot odds to see if we were right in our math assumption. So we can decide if a play was profitable but we won't be able to self analyze and decide if it was optimal.

And something should be said about cash vs mtt. In cash the blinds don't change so every decision can be easily related to every other hand. For example say we open 87s from the hijack and we want check if its profitable. Cash is no problem its just a stat. In tourney play we have different bind levels we must convert, different stages of the game, very different stack sizes (very short, short, med, big...etc) and so on.

Another thing about cash is we have way more street by street info. This is usually what reports are good for, in tourney we may never have a big enough sample size from players for even simple things like 3bet%

So that puts it in perspective a little I think. I just imagine 2 + 2 kids analyzing their own play going, "yup i agree with that, yup i agree with that, yup, hey whats going on I'm doing everything perfect according to me?"

But to give a real answer to the question, I save all hands where I wasn't sure what to do, where I don't have time to do the math or use stove for the ranges. I also save hands that I'm not sure if they are a mathematical shove, then I run them through the nash calculator later. Sometimes I come across a hand that conveys a question I wanted to ask on the forum.
    ** I always keep a notepad open to copy and paste hh's ...sometimes I won't review them for a week. Prob should be done right away.

As for stats I think its important we tweak our poker rather than our stats. Don't know if that make sense but I don't think a lot of esp mtt players built a solid game on analyzing stats....its good to do but i think its a lot more cash game. Even if your just looking at it on your own you'll realize T2o is a fold way fast than realizing your vpip should be 19 instead of 20.

cliff: post hh's and review shoves in sitngowiz or nash

Darb, kudos for an awesome post that was easy to follow (even for someone who didn't quite know/get all the terms). I feel smarter about pokerz having read it, unlike my posts that make me usually feel dumber and for some reason, fat.