A Limit Hand For Analysis

Several members here have commented on a variety of limit hands lately and I have found those comments to be useful as they have improved my perspective of the limit game, even the lower stakes ones. Comments on the following hand are appreciated.

This first hand was a bit wild though I can't say the table or any of the players were maniacs (there were the standard bad Party players of course).

***** Hand History for Game 1537961268 *****
0.5/1 TexasHTGameTable (Limit) - Thu Feb 03 23:29:21 EST 2005
Table Table 13197 (Real Money) -- Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: Monteroy ( $49.25)
Seat 2: jeffsacks ( $28.25)
Seat 3: strus1 ( $13.25)
Seat 4: ADAM_PGE ( $13)
Seat 5: humhakid ( $13)
Seat 6: Lirael ( $19.5)
Seat 7: JunctionA ( $27.25)
Seat 8: babbington ( $33.5)
Seat 9: SammyBoy345 ( $9)
Seat 10: SGibbons ( $35.5)
strus1 posts small blind (0.25)
ADAM_PGE posts big blind (0.5)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Monteroy [ 9s, 8s ]
humhakid calls (0.5)
Lirael folds.
JunctionA folds.
babbington folds.
SammyBoy345 calls (0.5)
Monteroy calls (0.5)
jeffsacks folds.
strus1 raises (0.75) to 1
ADAM_PGE calls (0.5)
humhakid calls (0.5)
SammyBoy345 calls (0.5)
Monteroy calls (0.5)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 5s, As, 6h ]
strus1 bets (0.5)
ADAM_PGE calls (0.5)
humhakid raises (1) to 1
SammyBoy345 folds.
Monteroy calls (1)
strus1 raises (1) to 1.5
ADAM_PGE calls (1)
humhakid calls (0.5)
Monteroy calls (0.5)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 7c ]
strus1 bets (1)
ADAM_PGE calls (1)
humhakid calls (1)
Monteroy raises (2) to 2
strus1 raises (2) to 3
ADAM_PGE calls (2)
humhakid calls (2)
Monteroy raises (2) to 4
strus1 calls (1)
ADAM_PGE calls (1)
humhakid calls (1)
** Dealing River ** : [ Qc ]
strus1 bets (1)
ADAM_PGE folds.
humhakid calls (1)
Monteroy raises (2) to 2
strus1 calls (1)
humhakid calls (1)
** Summary **
Main Pot: $32 | Rake: $1
Board: [ 5s As 6h 7c Qc ]
Monteroy balance $72.75, bet $8.5, collected $32, net +$23.5 [ 9s 8s ] [ a straight, five to nine -- 9s,8s,7c,6h,5s ]
jeffsacks balance $28.25, didn't bet (folded)
strus1 balance $4.75, lost $8.5 [ Ac Ad ] [ three of a kind, aces -- Ac,Ad,As,Qc,7c ]
ADAM_PGE balance $6.5, lost $6.5 (folded)
humhakid balance $4.5, lost $8.5 [ Qs 7s ] [ two pairs, queens and sevens -- As,Qs,Qc,7s,7c ]

The flop was interesting because after I called the 2 bets (I think this was ok) and saw another raise I was pretty sure if the board paired up I was losing and frankly I was not even sure if a spade helped me anymore so while I called the last raise I had to admit I was starting to be very unthrilled with my situation until the perfect turn card hit to essentially save me. The river was an ideal brick for me (though it was helpful in how it kept the higher flush draw guy in by giving him 2 pair), and I did learn in poker school to raise the nuts :wink: .

I am curious how people think the hand was played by all of the people who finished it, me the AA person and the Q7 flush draw guy. I suspect the hand would have been a lot uglier for me if another spade had hit (I might have been caught in between a higher flush and trip As raising each other) or if the board paired up (is it possible to fold with such a healthy pot when that happens?).

Anyways, comments are appreciated.

Comments

• The flop was interesting because after I called the 2 bets (I think this was ok) and saw another raise I was pretty sure if the board paired up I was losing and frankly I was not even sure if a spade helped me anymore so while I called the last raise I had to admit I was starting to be very unthrilled with my situation until the perfect turn card hit to essentially save me. The river was an ideal brick for me (though it was helpful in how it kept the higher flush draw guy in by giving him 2 pair), and I did learn in poker school to raise the nuts .

I like the way you played it.

Flop:

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=750542
    pokenum -h ac ad - qs 7s - 9s 8s -- 5s as 6h
    Holdem Hi: 903 enumerated boards containing As 5s 6h
    cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
    Ac Ad 618 68.44 285 31.56 0 0.00 0.684
    Qs 7s 204 22.59 699 77.41 0 0.00 0.226
    9s 8s 81 8.97 822 91.03 0 0.00 0.090

Well in this case it's because there landed up being a higher draw against you.. but generally there won't be, so your call with the flush and 4 players is fine..
    strus1 raises (0.75) to 1

More often than not means AA-JJ/AQs+. Same goes for raises out of the BB..

the AA person and the Q7 flush draw guy.

AA played it right. Q7s was terrible on the turn and more so on the river.
    (is it possible to fold with such a healthy pot when that happens?).

I hope thats a joke.. if not, I sure hope you wouldnt have folded on the river if the board paired.. 31BB pot for 1? Are you 97% sure yer beat everytime in this scenario? No way. Give strus1 an overpair to the board and he'd play it the same way.
  • Without writing all of the analysis that BBC_Z wrote, I agree with the way you played it also. I play it exactly the same way. I would have also been worried about the board pairing on the river, it's fairly obvious that the dude had Aces. Nice hand for you. Did anyone get upest for you for the way you played it?

stp
  • Looks fine to me. You couldn't know how much trouble you were actually in on the flop. You have to play it like all 12 outs are good, just not be as aggressive when you make a non-nut hand and hope you don't get trapped for too many bets. If the board paired on the turn I wouldn't drop unless it was a bet and a raise before it got to me. Otherwise you are getting huge pot odds and you can afford to lose to a full house or a better flush from time to time (just don't raise the river) and still show a profit. The case where you lose to both and get trapped for a lot of bets would be very very rare, and you may be able to fold if you know one of your opponents is good enough to not get in a raising war like that without at least the nut flush (I've heard such players exist even at .5/1, though they are hopefully a rare breed in your game).
  • Honestly played to perfection. You got every last dollar out of that pot