Can Anyone Explain How Top Shark Ranks Are Determined??

Hello,

I have been playing poker online for about 5 years now. I do read the forum often but I'm not normally comfortable with posting. However, something happened last night that got under my skin enough for me to put aside my shyness aside and just ask.

My Top Shark MTT rank dropped from a K*** to a J*** from Monday night to Tuesday Night.

I know that may sound ridiculous but I'm po'ed. It took me about 4 years before finally getting my MTT rank on par with my SNG rank. When I finally achieved this, it boosted my confidence, and I feel my live play has benefited from this. This kinda felt like a kick in the crotch and I want to fix it.

Can anyone give me any insight as to why it dropped so much overnight?

My stats for the last 100 games are sh***y. I'm not saying I didn't deserve to have my rank lowered-just confused why it dropped so much over a period that I played about 5 games in. My current total profit is about the same as it was 25 games ago, why didn't it change then, or start slowly dropping?

This is all the information I could find on the top shark/poker pro labs website:
Q: How is the rank or rating calculated?
A: There are three parameters for the rank:
1. Number of entrants
2. Average buy-in
3. Tournament Finishes

If anyone could expand on that it would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps an explanation of how these things are weighted? How often the player rankings are updated?

Obviously winning is the best strategy. But would it help to cut out the smaller buy-ins I sometimes play? Only play large fields? Or only play small fields because there is a greater chance of winning?

If it helps with a response here is the link to my TS page:

Gottaget99

Thanks

Comments

• youre doing your math compared to yourself.....your rank slid because other players passed you..... :p
  • Thanks for the reply Darbady!

Did not realize it was ranking in comparison to other players.

Always thought of it as some sort grade given to me by TS based on my stats alone. That there could be an infinite amount of ranked players at any level. Like the rock, mouse, bomb, shark player rankings. (unless I never understood that either lol)

So this is how I'm picturing it: (please bear with me if this is way off)

All players are compared to one another using some kind of point based system that is probably similar to a tournament/league leader board.

The top 1.54% of total ranked players are given an A***** rank (A*****being 1/65 possible ranks by TS)

The next 1.54% of the field are given A**** rank ect.

Is that at least kind of right? Hope it at least kind of makes sense!
  • yes but its just an assumption im making myself ...
  • OK - thanks darbaday.

My average buy-in is $5 and I don't play in very many large field MTT's. Looks like this is going to be a tough uphill battle. Sigh
  • Why would you really care? If I am making money I would want them to rank me really low so if someone was looking at it they would think I was worse than I am and try and take advantage...

In any case I wouldn't be concerned about some "artificial" ranking of some website...
  • really you shouldnt care how a site ranks you, you should care about your BR and building it. That should be away of ranking yourself. Just set realistic br goals and try to achieve them.
  • TS rankings are completely useless. I know ppl who are rated 3 and 4 star aces who have put in less than 100 games and are barely in the positive....
  • If I am making money I would want them to rank me really low so if someone was looking at it they would think I was worse than I am and try and take advantage...

Great point! Too busy being ticked off and hadn't thought of it like this.
    you should care about your BR and building it. That should be away of ranking yourself.

Like I said in OP when it originally went up about a year ago it really gave me confidence and i felt like I started playing better. I was all of a sudden questioning myself despite having some decent live results lately. Your comments are making me realize that is silly. Thanks Guys

I also care about my rank because I have been able to use stakes on part-time poker in the past to build my bankroll and move up in stakes- but only in S&G's.

TS stats are pasted to your member page on PTP and most stakers want all your stats pasted to your application. I believe the quick visual of the card rank is an easy way for stakers to quickly weed out horses and a K rank usually has a better chance of getting staked than a horse with a J rank.

Logged on to PTP last night for the first time in months thinking I would try and apply for some MTT stakes. It was when I checked out my member page that I noticed my rank had suddenly changed!

Well played Mr. Murphy - you tool.
  • I never use TS stats for staking.
    I prefer OPR and SS.
  • Gottaget!!!!

How have you been? Where have you been?

Ya Ya It's a derail.......:p
  • Gottaget!!!!

How have you been? Where have you been?

Hi philli! Good to hear from you. Life just got in the way too much this year-I didn't play a lot.
    I never use TS stats for staking.
    I prefer OPR and SS.

Nice to hear from you too Hobbes! This coming from you goes along way to making me realize I just need to forget about it and do this:
    care about your BR and building it.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!