jungleman challenge - no one accepting?

so far i've heard that no one is really interested and i can't say i'm surprised.

people talked about the durrr challenge and how he gave them incentive (i.e. 1.5 million to 500 grand). also apparently hellmuth issued a challenge of HU after winning his first main event (he offered his opponent the button - and he lost). negreanu also offered a challenge to play HU in any game (he also lost apparently).

now here comes cates, with no incentive and no negotiation on where and when to play. tony g is probably still the front runner and he said he'd play if the deal was right (i.e. they paid him to come play like an appearance fee).

maybe you should have thought this one through a bit more jungleman.

Comments

• trigs wrote: »
    so far i've heard that no one is really interested and i can't say i'm surprised.

people talked about the durrr challenge and how he gave them incentive (i.e. 1.5 million to 500 grand). also apparently hellmuth issued a challenge of HU after winning his first main event (he offered his opponent the button - and he lost). negreanu also offered a challenge to play HU in any game (he also lost apparently).

now here comes cates, with no incentive and no negotiation on where and when to play. tony g is probably still the front runner and he said he'd play if the deal was right (i.e. they paid him to come play like an appearance fee).

maybe you should have thought this one through a bit more jungleman.

Did the Durr challenge ever get completed?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Did the Durr challenge ever get completed?

i don't think so. didn't durrr and patrick just get annoyed with each other because they couldn't settle on a time to play often enough?
  • Context please. What's the jungleman challenge?
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    Context please. What's the jungleman challenge?

he made an open challenge to the world to come play him HU somewhere in europe while he's there playing at some tournament. just one table, straight HU, $100,000 each to see who "the best in the world is". yes, he said this is a challenge to see who is the best in the world.
    i don't think so. didn't durrr and patrick just get annoyed with each other because they couldn't settle on a time to play often enough?

That and Full Tilt where they were playing kinda had a hiccup...

Over summer Durrr said they were gonna eventually sort out and finish

Hey! Sounds almost exactlly like FTP said!
  • Jungleman Responds
    Yesterday, we showed you a video of some well-known pros discussing their thoughts on the worldwide challenge issued by Dan "Jungleman" Cates. On Tuesday, Cates responded with a message to any interested contenders.
    “A lot has been said that there is no incentive to play me "Cates told The Poker Farm. "For me, competing for a world title and keeping it says more than money, and holding onto this title for a long period of time is something I'm keen to do to prove myself. It’s true that I haven’t played much live and that anything can happen in four hours of poker, but to me these are just excuses for players scared to put up the money.”
    Cates says only Gus Hansen and Tony G have shown interest in the €100,000 heads-up challenge so far, but he still plans to be in Prague on Dec. 6 regardless if anyone steps up to the plate. Should a contender arise, the winner of the match will be awarded the newly created World Poker Heavyweight Championship title and take possession of the championship belt.
    In addition, Luke "Full Flush" Schwartz will face a challenger in a €50,000 undercard match, with the winner moving on to face the winner of the Heavyweight Championship. An opponent for Schwartz has not been named, but the first challenger will be accommodated. Said Schwartz, "I don’t care who I play. If they are stupid enough to sit down with me, I will own them. There are players whose game I respect, but I’ve never met anyone whose game is better than mine.”
    This is beginning to look like a three-ring circus. However, we'll continue to keep an eye on any developments in the coming weeks.

lol, world title. what an idiot.
    Jungleman Responds
    Yesterday, we showed you a video of some well-known pros discussing their thoughts on the worldwide challenge issued by Dan "Jungleman" Cates. On Tuesday, Cates responded with a message to any interested contenders.
    “A lot has been said that there is no incentive to play me "Cates told The Poker Farm. "For me, competing for a world title and keeping it says more than money, and holding onto this title for a long period of time is something I'm keen to do to prove myself. It’s true that I haven’t played much live and that anything can happen in four hours of poker, but to me these are just excuses for players scared to put up the money.”
    Cates says only Gus Hansen and Tony G have shown interest in the €100,000 heads-up challenge so far, but he still plans to be in Prague on Dec. 6 regardless if anyone steps up to the plate. Should a contender arise, the winner of the match will be awarded the newly created World Poker Heavyweight Championship title and take possession of the championship belt.
    In addition, Luke "Full Flush" Schwartz will face a challenger in a €50,000 undercard match, with the winner moving on to face the winner of the Heavyweight Championship. An opponent for Schwartz has not been named, but the first challenger will be accommodated. Said Schwartz, "I don’t care who I play. If they are stupid enough to sit down with me, I will own them. There are players whose game I respect, but I’ve never met anyone whose game is better than mine.”
    This is beginning to look like a three-ring circus. However, we'll continue to keep an eye on any developments in the coming weeks.

lol, world title. what an idiot.

Lol Luke Schwartz certainly adds credibility to this train-wreck.
  • Ive seen enough on TV, Luke Schwartz actually isnt completely a tard, (asshole maybe but not tard) this jungleman thing hes just trying to bring his rep back after what happened to him real or not.

The world title?? ya thats gonna get old fast...might be old already!
  • will there be a big ass belt? or just a bracelet...... lol
  • allegedly the winner will receive the World Poker Heavyweight Championship belt, whatever that is.
  • Luke can really back his talk up. From what I've seen he plays just as big a game as he talks
  • I don’t know what to make of this whole Daniel Cates World Poker Heavyweight Challenge, a challenge he issued at the end of October. It entails a challenger traveling to Prague to face Cates in a heads-up match at stakes of €200/€400 with a minimum buy-in of €100,000. No one has stepped up and now it looks like the challenge will be cancelled and replaced with a high-stakes cash game.
    My first impression was that this was just a publicity grab. I have no doubt Cates would have played had a challenger emerged, but how could he expect someone to travel all the way to Prague with no incentive? Sure, the match was scheduled during the Prague Poker Festival, so some pros may be in town, but if Cates were serious he ought to be willing to meet on a neutral territory and duke it out.
    I’m not surprised no one stepped up to face Cates, at least not yet, but I don’t think that entitles him to think he is the best heads up no-limit hold'em player in the world. A spokesman from Poker Farm, the site slated to live stream the match, stated: "The fact that no challenger has stepped forward only bolsters our confidence that Jungleman is one of the best heads up no-limit hold'em player in the world, and it appears that the high stakes poker community agrees.”
    4ed93a772596e_.jpgThe World Poker Heavyweight belt. Picture courtesy of Poker Farm.

They went on to say: “There is going to be a lot of money in Prague and quite a bit will change hands during this big game. While the lack of a heads up battle will see the WPHC title remaining vacant along with the belt, spectators wanting to see high stakes poker action will not be disappointed.”
    To me, the WPHC challenge did not work as Cates and the Poker Farm had hoped, so the cash game is merely a convenient Plan B. I have no doubt it’ll be an entertaining and juicy cash game, provided they can get more than Cates and Luke Schwartz, the only two players confirmed, to sign up.
    The whole affair reminds me of the days when I’d watch WCW and WWE wrestling and some character would create their own “championship” belt and tote it around like they’re the rightful champ. I think there is credence in the idea of having a championship belt in poker, but Cates and company have went about it all wrong thus far.

Read more: Sounding Off: Liebert's Tweets, Cates' Challenge, & Hellmuth's Charity Event | PokerNews
  • cancelled. big surprise.

cash game instead.