faster than the speed of light?

BBC News - Neutrino experiment repeat at Cern finds same result

apparently they repeated the tests again (i.e. getting neutrinos to travel faster than the speed of light). now we just have to wait for the few other places that can duplicate the test to gain some proof (which will take around a year it said).

damn if this is true that just freaks me the hell out. so crazy and so many possibilities.

Comments

• If this is true, ie replicated by another lab, then this story is bigger than the Moon landings . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    If this is true, ie replicated by another lab, then this story is bigger than the Moon landings . . .

Naw... in my younger days I could already move faster than that.
  • Yeah, but these days, you don't have to worry about being chased by a T-Rex.
  • my buddy came up with this like ten years ago....
  • darbday wrote: »
    my buddy came up with this like ten years ago....

in a tent?
  • How the hell can a Mod only have 200 posts more than I do? You must be slackin'
  • compuease wrote: »
    in a tent?
    nope he just came up to me and was like i know how we can beat the speed of light....and he just said you spin one particle to 99.999999 speed of light one way and then another one the other way and smash em into each other or something....we laughed when i first showed him the hallidron collider...

i feel like when they try and duplicate it they are going to come up with something inconclusive...

just remember if we can time travel in the future...then its here now...???
    nope he just came up to me and was like i know how we can beat the speed of light....and he just said you spin one particle to 99.999999 speed of light one way and then another one the other way and smash em into each other or something....we laughed when i first showed him the hallidron collider...

Your friend has likely never taken a physics course.

Driving one car travelling 100km/hour one direction and another car travelling 100km/hour in the opposite direction and crashing them together does not make either vehicle faster.
  • Your friend has likely never taken a physics course.

Driving one car travelling 100km/hour one direction and another car travelling 100km/hour in the opposite direction and crashing them together does not make either vehicle faster.
    when we approach the speed of light it does.... because mass grows....as does their gravity....
    when we approach the speed of light it does.... because mass grows....as does their gravity....

Where do you get your information from? I'm not saying you're wrong because I'm far from a physics expert, but I've never heard of mass being proportional to velocity. Can you post a link to where you read this?
  • Where do you get your information from? I'm not saying you're wrong because I'm far from a physics expert, but I've never heard of mass being proportional to velocity. Can you post a link to where you read this?

darb is correct.
  • Can you post a link to where you read this?
    it was a text book....

but i can't remember its...not einstein i think... he used it to form the theory of relatively...or maybe thats what it is....or maybe its the special theory....

actually i think a guy with the name starting with L came up with it.....

Einstein understood it though

as we approach light..

the object gets infinitesimally smaller......and inf. more dense....

once its at infinite.....its like a supernova that creates a black hole...

which is why people protest the experiment...

but......Einstein said light is a constant relative to the observer...so we can never travel as fast as it...
    it was a text book....

but i can't remember its...not einstein i think... he used it to form the theory of relatively...or maybe thats what it is....or maybe its the special theory....

actually i think a guy with the name starting with L came up with it.....

Einstein understood it though

as we approach light..

the object gets infinitesimally smaller......and inf. more dense....

once its at infinite.....its like a supernova that creates a black hole...

which is why people protest the experiment...

but......Einstein said light is a constant relative to the observer...so we can never travel as fast as it...

it's einstein. it can be derived from E=mc^2.
  • trigs wrote: »
    darb is correct.
    so was my bro ???
  • Sounds like there's a difference between invariant mass and relativistic mass. I guess relativistic mass is the one that can vary with speed. Einstein apparently rarely used that one though. I don't know. This stuff is over my head. The comment about crashing one particle with another to speed things up still doesn't really make sense to me.

Does mass change with velocity?
    If you go too fast do you become a black hole?
  • If you go too fast do you become a black hole?

No, but I cannot say the same about discussing politics with certain Forum members . . .
  • Sounds like there's a difference between invariant mass and relativistic mass. I guess relativistic mass is the one that can vary with speed. Einstein apparently rarely used that one though. I don't know. This stuff is over my head. The comment about crashing one particle with another to speed things up still doesn't really make sense to me.

Does mass change with velocity?
    If you go too fast do you become a black hole?
    trying not to confuse myself so take it with a grain of salt or whatever but i think the reason you wouldn't really be familiar is twofold. First we need to get very close to the speed of light for these things to be factors in our daily life....so really they are none existents factors. And 2nd its theoretically impossible to travel the speed of light....

until now......maybe...