Hold Em Tourney @ York - Feb 13th

Slightly larger game this time.

$60 freezeout with a $30 reload option after 60 mins.
$25/50 blinds, doubling every 1/2 hour.
No rake taken from the game.
Game will start at 4:30 PM sharp.
96 spots available - we turned away several people last time, so....
email yorkpoker@yahoo.com to reserve (full name and email).
Payout structure will be (roughly):

8 & 7: 4.5%
6 & 5: 8%
4: 10%
3: 15%
2: 20%
1: 30%

Food and Drinks are available.
Registration will be from 3:30 - 4:15 in the Bethune dining hall on York Campus.
For maps and directions, please visit : http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/yorkpoker/

Comments

• How many chips do you begin with? So if we bust out before the 60 min mark, we are out, but if we have 1 chips (ie a 25) at the 60 min, we can reload our ENTIRE stack for $30?
  • $2500 to start, with the option adding $2000.

And yes, survival is the key. It eliminates the bingo that happens with unlimited rebuys. If you can survive 60 mins with $1 and reload - you have a shot. That is the general idea :)
  • We only have 36 spots left. If you want in, please RSVP by email - we need full name - yorkpoker@yahoo.com
  • Any room for me?
  • Sure - but only 10 left.
    yorkpoker@yahoo.com to RSVP
  • anyone here play in the last one? What were your thoughts and impressions?

I have played in some ratty tourneys before and I just want to get an idea of what I am getting into before I drop another Sunday afternoon/evening.
  • i played at the last one, it was very well organized and fun, i definately recommend coming to this one
  • I've met Yorkpoker (Noah) and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I've never played in his tournaments, but you can usually tell just by meeting someone whether or not he'd have good organizational skills.
  • 60 to buyin tends to weed out the real crazies. I was at the first one which was 25 and 20 to rebuy, and can say I saw some of the single most retarded playing in my life. Other than that, it was a good crowd and friendly players.

It will be better(tighter) with a freeze out. Personally Ive already found my Sunday game Though.
  • Lithium wrote:
    Personally Ive already found my Sunday game Though.

It's a shame we'll not have you out. Perhaps I can bribe you with a beer?
  • all_aces wrote:
    I've met Yorkpoker (Noah) and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I've never played in his tournaments, but you can usually tell just by meeting someone whether or not he'd have good organizational skills.

You sure you are not after my $100 stake? Them's awfully nice words for me.
  • not sure how many spots are left but if i can please reserve a spot for me .. i cant email u at the moment cause im at work and have no access to Email but get back to me at giolopez@hotmail.com and let me know if theres space .. thank u for ur time .
  • You should PM me with your info. I will hold a seat though. You get #94.
  • Yorkpoker wrote:
    You sure you are not after my $100 stake? Them's awfully nice words for me.
    Oh, facing AA, that would be fun. Join the fun!
  • how many seats do you still have open?
  • He probably has 2 left. I think it was 96 seats and I had to relinquish mine due to work.
    Even though I backed out, Noah sent me a nice reply.
  • For anyone curious, we're actually full.

That means that we probably have 3-5 spots available (due to no-shows or late comers) and have started our little waiting list.

Also, we will be running a little side game, about 90 minutes after the main game starts. I have a second set of chips and cards to use for that one. It will be small ($20/$10 reload) but we will probably see between 30 and 40 people in it.

Blinds will go up faster in that one (every 15 or 20 minutes) so that the two games end at the same time.

If you don't make the main game, stick around for the sit.n.go mini tourneys that pop up and our second game.
  • VladK wrote:
    how many seats do you still have open?

Were you coming Vlad? I might try to sneak in a few forum people and who would ever know ...
  • Yorkpoker wrote:
    Were you coming Vlad? I might try to sneak in a few forum people and who would ever know ...

yeah, I'm coming... i signed up right when you announced it on the group pages. I just wanted to see if i could get a friend to come but now he is not sure if he can make it anyways. But might stop by for the later game. See you there.

:D
  • We laughed, we cried (actually there was WAY more crying than usual), we played.

What a game. 93 fine players (and that's a relative term) played in our $60/30 game with top prize taking a cool $2k. The final hand finished a hair before 2 AM and a tired tournament director handed out the final envelopes and dragged himself home.

We even ran a second $20 buy in event for the people knocked out early as some late comers to the main game. A decent side game with over $500 worth of prizes there.

The 93rd finisher (dead last) won himself a beautiful Hold 'em tin from Walmart as well as a year's subscription to Bulff Mag. How awesome is that? Fine reward for 8 minutes of fine play!

We learned that 250 pieces of pizza can be eaten in under 5 minutes and that ANY two cards can win. These facts are wholely unrelated but interestng nonetheless.

I want to thank all of our volunteers who will be rewarded with a freeroll for their efforts and to remind all that our club, yorkpoker, has a regular game run on checknraisepoker.com (not trying to shill for them) on Tuesday nights - email me (yorkpoker@yahoo.com) for details.

Thanks all and we'll see you soon.
  • Anyone from the boards make it into the money?
  • good job with the tourney once again....
  • well i went and it was awsome, didnt make it to the money though, came in 22nd place, which isnt to bad for me
  • My Buddy won.

Hell of a comeback, he was down when it went heads up by 3-1 maybe 4-1.

As for the venue, Noah did a great job.
    Thanks again.
  • Yorkpoker wrote:
    The 93rd finisher (dead last) won himself a beautiful Hold 'em tin from Walmart as well as a year's subscription to Bulff Mag. How awesome is that? Fine reward for 8 minutes of fine play!
    HAHA, that was my firiend. The_Gamblar (Gamblar?) on the forum. I got cold cards and tried to make a move when i thought both were weak, and they were kinda weak (bottom pair and open ended straight draw, good enough for calling my all in).

I helped run the 2nd tourney and finished 5th out of the money (to 3 we did). Pretty fun though! Just need to rebuild the roll now!
  • I would like to schedule another one in two weeks (Sunday again) but have a few admin things to straighten out.

I am having fun running these games and am going to 'hire' a group of administrators to help me expand it. I put hire is psuedo quotes because there is no income to spread around. It's a form of irony.

Other than that, I am working on a few new venues (it's fun to see the sights of North Toronto, wouldn't you agree) and find some more sponsorship to keep our rake-free system working.

If you are in London, KW, Hamilton or Guelph, and want to help out, please PM me and we can begin to work things out.

Also, we are trying to launch a central website, but have no funds to host - any suggestions? I am not a beggar and don't like handouts (unless they are corporate or the kind you get a Costco - you know, those little food stations with the nice ladies who don't say anything when you eat the entire plate of little coctail weenies?) so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, if you feel like giving me money, that would rock too, but I am not expecting anything.
  • Sounds like you have everything working out well, I might have to make it down in two weeks to check this out. Congrats on the kudos you are receiving!

stp
  • stpboy wrote:
    Congrats on the kudos you are receiving!stp

Yeah, I rock.

:)

I want to bring our game to KW - maybe you don't have to come down after all. I have a vision of a mega-collegiate tournament. Something around the beginning of the school year next Sept. Our games are not exclusive to students, but they are our core market.

I would love to get somewhere around 500 or so players together next Sept for a $50 buy in game with a $25 reload or something.

Anyhow, we are getting 100 or so regular players and another 200 part timers. I want to make it geographically convenient for those who have to drive more than 30 minutes to get here, which is why I am looking at opening up games in each of the cities I mentioned in my earlier post.

Anyhow, thanks for the kind words all. I might offer a forum only freeroll on one of our sponsoring sites ...

Cheers,
    N
  • Hey boys and girls.

I am working on some things and am going to be training up some other tournament directors. I don't want things to go sour, so we are going back to basics.

Small buy in - ($40 no rebuys or options), nl hold em, with $3000 in starting chips and our normal blind schedule (25/50 doubling every 1/2 hour).

I also want to see somewhere b/w 50 and 60 people for this one. Nothing huge.

Once I confirm the details, you will see it here. Just some ramblings...

Cheers.
    N

Also, we are in the first steps of starting our downtown games - updates to follow.
  • When's the next one of these? The last one was great. I would be in for even higher stakes (but no too much higher).