Dave in this Month's Issue of Bluff

Hey Dave, If you haven't seen it already you should pick up the Feb/March 2005 issue of Bluff Magazine. On page 70 there is an article called "A Bad Beat from the Well Dressed Bob" by Rob Gillespie the President of Bodog.com. It is about your 67h vs Samir Zoudo's 5's at the 2004 WSOP Main Event.

Comments

• Ventrick wrote:
    Hey Dave, If you haven't seen it already you should pick up the Feb/March 2005 issue of Bluff Magazine. On page 70 there is an article called "A Bad Beat from the Well Dressed Bob" by Rob Gillespie the President of Bodog.com. It is about your 67h vs Samir Zoudo's 5's at the 2004 WSOP Main Event.

As much as I enjoy hearing actual bad beat stories*, hearing someone call something a bad beat which is not even close to a bad beat is a bit much.

In the hand we are talking about, all the money goes in pre-flop, when the winning odds are pretty close to even money. The street (or streets) when most (in this case all) of the money goes in is the only street relevant to determing whether or not something is a bad beat.

The post-flop action is also far from incredible. Dave flops an open-ended straight flush draw, versus the set of 5's. The draw has 15 outs twice, 2 of which are immortal lock/redraw outs. The set of 5's is currently in the lead with its own 7 & 10 out redraw. Zudo's edge here is unspectacular as flop edges generally go. A flop-dominated hand hitting its kicker would be more "bad-beat-interesting". Dave then turns the flush, leaving him in good shape against his opponent's 10 outs. The river is a brick, also irrelevantly completing Dave's straight draw.

If you couldn't pick out a worse bad beat from the 2004 WSOP than that, I've got to wonder.

ScottyZ

*Zithal, set sarcasm detector to Warp 9.3!
  • I didn't see it as a bad beat either, it was a coin flip. I mentioned it here hoping Dave would give his insight into this and heh maybe next issue we'll see a letter to the editor from Dave with regards to it.
  • *Zithal, set sarcasm detector to Warp 9.3!
    <SCOTTISHACCENT>I'm tryin' as hard as I can, Capt'in, but if I push my brain much furthur, the whole thing'll blow!!</SCOTTISHACCENT>
  • Zithal wrote:
    <SCOTTISHACCENT>I'm tryin' as hard as I can, Capt'in, but if I push my brain much furthur, the whole thing'll blow!!</SCOTTISHACCENT>
    ROFL.gifroflmao ROFL.gif
  • Haven't seen it, but it does sound like an odd pick. I thought it would be a bad beat if I won, but when the cards came over I was thrilled. Hardly a bad beat. And I know, because I have (and did at the 2004 WSOP) put my share of bad beats on people. Hey... play as many hands as I do and you will put some serious bad beat on your opponents.

I look forward to seeing the article.
  • can somebody post the article here as some of us don't subscribe to bluff :frown:

thx,
    CO :confused:
  • ... so here's the article. It's a full page, complete with illustrations of all the cards, the names of the two players under them, the percentages on each street, etc....

"A Bad Beat from the Well Dressed Bob"
    by Rob Gillespie, President

At the 2004 WSOP in a showdown just past the bubble, Canadian poker player Dave Scharf met Iraqi born Samir Zoudo at the tables. This bad beat was the difference between finishing 94th and 208th at the WSOP.

With the blinds at $1200/$2400, Scharf, the author of the book 'Winning at Poker', bet $8500 from early position with 6h7h. Traditionally the 6/7 is not a good starting hand, especially from early position and that is where the story of 'The Well Dressed Bob' comes into play.

To uncover the mystery of 'The Well Dressed Bob' we have to introduce you to our own Poker Product Manager named Bob. We have had many discussions about this, but Bob likes something about 6/7 off-suit. Ask him about it, and he'll mumble something about 'Doyle Brunson's Super System'. The point is, he talks about it enough, that we have officially named it 'The Bob'. The 6/7 suited naturally then, is 'The Well Dressed Bob'. And if 'The Bob' doesn't work out? Well, that, of course, is a Bob 'All dressed up with nowhere to go'.

(sidenote from all_aces: This, ladies and gentlemen, is comedic writing at its best. We can all learn from this.)

This makes Scharf's play on the 6/7 that much more remarkable. Considering no one else was in the pot yet, Scharf may have been bluffing attempting to steal the blinds. Then again Scharf may have been looking to gamble knowing he was already in the money. But at Bodog.com we like to think that the easier explanation is simply something we call 'The Well Dressed Bob'.

Which brings us back to Zoudo, who moved in over the top from the middle position with 5h5c for roughly $30,000. (Total, or more? And what was Dave's stack like. Thanks for all the info, Rob Gillespie, President.) The flop comes with a 5h 4h 7h handing Zoudo the set, but also giving Scharf an open-ended straight flush draw. And on the turn, a Jh. Zoudo's WSOP was almost over. Zoudo still had nine outs if the river made good giving him a 1 in 5 chance.

The river would be an 8s and Scharf would win with a flush, jack high. But still viewers have wondered what compelled Scharf to think; 'The Well Dressed Bob' would be a good play even before the flop?

Sure, the pre-flop raise was a questionable one, but the call of the re-raise shows Scharf had a pretty good read on his opponent. And a pretty good read is sometimes all you need to deliver the Bad Beat to your opponent. In the end, Scharf's gutsy use of 'the Well Dressed Bob' was the difference between walking away with $20,000 and going home with $10,000 at the World Series of Poker.

(Yeah, okay, that was the ONLY difference.)
  • Fine article. Not insulting. A couple small factual errors.

It appears to me that this is written by someone with a basic knowledge of poker, but without a deep knowledge of of hand matchups, pre-flop odds, stack sizes, etc.

Thanks for posting in aces.
  • The flop comes with a 5h 4h 7h handing Zoudo the set...

Interesting. Dave flops the 7-7 high flush, a beast rarely seen outside of home games where it can often arise when cold decking your drunk buddies.

;)

ScottyZ
  • Lol. I just double-checked the magazine to make sure the typo didn't happen in my transcription, and the magazine does indeed say that the board came with the 7h as the high card, matching the one in Dave's hand.
  • Bob all dressed up, but embarrassed upon arrival at the party to find someone wearing almost exactly the same threads?

ScottyZ
  • But what about MY article in Bluff this issue? (actually they haven't sent me my issue yet...and darned if I can remember what I wrote)

Amy Calistri aka Amy C aka the empress of trashy gossip
  • take it outside boys... :tongue:
  • That's HOT.
  • Hang on a second. Just because all_aces & I have a rapid back-and-forth doesn't automatically make it a man-flirting session. There has to at least be some kind of suggestive content or sub-text in there somewhere.

There's no man-flirting in this thread.
    all_aces wrote:
    That's HOT.

I stand corrected.

ScottyZ
  • all_aces wrote:
    the board came with the 7h as the high card, matching the one in Dave's hand.

I CAN'T BELIEVE dave had the nerve to cheat at the WSOP - the holy shrine - and I am more shocked still that he got away with it...

He must've faked em out with that shirt of his ...

Dissappointed,

Nurse Holiday

p.s. will the next edition of your book detail similar plays that one might use (ahem - be aware of)??
  • I know I read your article Amy, but I can't remember what it was about, I'll have to re-read. Guess I was too busy pondering the so called Bad Beat.
  • Amy contributes the gossip section, right at the beginning of the magazine. 'Bird on the Rail' I think it's called, although I could be mistaken. Very entertaining stuff, Amy!

Sidenote: DAMN that magazine looks slick. It looks great. However, some of (most of) the content is... well, let's just say most of it doesn't appeal to me. Antonio Estefari's column has nothing to do with poker, really... it's more about his "rock-star lifestyle". And take a look at this month's quiz. It's hard enough figuring out what the questions mean, let alone which answers are most correct.
  • all_aces wrote:
    And take a look at this month's quiz. It's hard enough figuring out what the questions mean, let alone which answers are most correct.

Agreed. Take this doozy:
    15. Which of the following choices is the weaker starting hand in Hold'em?
    A. Q-Q
    B. K-Q suited
    C. A-Q unsuited
    D. J-10 suited.

Apparently, the answer is C! A-Q unsuited (according to quiz author Phillip Vogel). Could have fooled me.

Maybe you could recommend a better poker quiz all_aces? Perhaps in a different publication? Or, perhaps you and Phillip Vogel could play heads up and he can go all-in with J-10 suited (since it's so strong) and you can call with A-Q unsuited. And then you could say, "Who's the boss hog of poker-quiz-writin' now, beeatch!?" (assuming he doesn't flop a straight flush).

Phil

(P.S., note to Antonio Esfandiari -- no one cares that your friend Khash is a tall, handsome, Persian metrosexual or that you buy expensive bottles of Grey Goose vodka. God forbid you'd write about poker in a poker magazine.)
  • I have to get a subsciption.

I gotta know...