Care to comment?

Does anyone remember this post from our 2011 Election thread?

Tories defunding PlannedParenthood, MP says - Canada Votes 2011 - CBC News#

You really don't think there's a chance that with a majority they wouldn't overstep?

So, now that our PM has categorically stated, in response to that idiot Trost's bleating about the Tories announcing new funding for Planned Parenthood's international operations, that things like abortion are not on the agenda, that he does not want them on the agenda, and that the Canadian people do not want it on the agenda, can people like the poster above finally give our Prime Minister his due?

Comments

• My comment is this:

Do you honestly think, that with the way Harper has muzzled his caucus over the past few years, that Trost spoke out of turn and without the full support and backing of Harper?

My opinion is Harper ordered this backbencher to say this so he could gauge reaction and then distance himself from the backlash if there was one, as there is obviously.
  • Yay non-representative voting!!

317566_291682434179036_100000118443883_1377929_971475366_n.jpg
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    My comment is this:

Do you honestly think, that with the way Harper has muzzled his caucus over the past few years, that Trost spoke out of turn and without the full support and backing of Harper?

My opinion is Harper ordered this backbencher to say this so he could gauge reaction and then distance himself from the backlash if there was one, as there is obviously.

LOL . . . I knew this would show up at some point in this thread, but the first response? Well played . . .
  • Of course you knew. Everybody knew. It's obvious.

And before you jump to conclusions, I'm a conservative.

Great cartoon, DrTy.
  • Lol. Solid logic Milo. Obviously if it didn't happen there was NO chance it could have happened. :rolleyes:

There was smoke which still, even in the utopian conservative Canada, signals the presence of fire.

Damn Milo, the kool-aid comes in long lasting flavours where you get it.
  • Said it before, I'll say it again . . . NOT a Conservative. Just love the hoops people seem willing to jump through to try and pillory a fairly "middle of the road" Tory PM.
  • It happened again today. Did Harper make a statement yet? If so I missed it.
  • Wow, just read the actual article. Yes the tories will continue funding PP but only in countries that have laws against abortions. Afghanistan, Mali, Bangladesh, Sudan and Tanzania. Damn everyone else. What an enlightened bunch.

oh yeah, and the minions are still barking about it even with the restrictive nature of the funding. :disgusted:
  • Be disgusted all you like, so long as you acknowledge that, contrary to the earlier hysterics, this government is not defunding Planned Parenthood.
  • ok. They are not defunding Planned Parenthood.

Of course it did take them a FULL YEAR to come to the compromise of continuing to fund it in countries in which abortion is illegal. So maybe it's not that obvious as you like to think that it was never on the table to be defunded.

Thanks to that conservative foresight I'm quite sure the 70 000 deaths due to illegal abortions each year will not take a hit.

Feel better now Milo?

With all respect due shove the talk of hysterics up your ass.
  • Ummm . . . no. It is all well and good that the "Usual Suspects" get their panties in a bunch whenever one of their sacred cows is rumoured to be under threat. It is therefore only logical and fair that they be held to account when said rumours, and the ensuing CBC sideshows, are proven to be unfounded.

John Tory gets crucified in an election (pun intended) for wanting to bring equality to school funding in Ontario, but very few "Progressives" (pun intended) seem outraged about prayer services in a public school. I would just appreciate it if people were more open about their double standards.

Note: I am not claiming that you are guilty of this. My anger is mostly directed at the media in this instance.
  • Wot's all this then?

I'm not one who usually steps into a debate like this, especially on the internet. However, I feel the need to comment on the points you made.
    Milo wrote: »
    Ummm . . . no. It is all well and good that the "Usual Suspects" get their panties in a bunch whenever one of their sacred cows is rumoured to be under threat. It is therefore only logical and fair that they be held to account when said rumours, and the ensuing CBC sideshows, are proven to be unfounded.

Three Tory MPs have now spoken out about the funding given to IPPF, from a caucus that has historically not stepped off the party line. No word yet from Harper. Why doesn't he quash any rumours once and for all and reiterate that, even after winning a majority, he will not put the abortion issue on the table? Or kick those 3 out of the party?

Sidenote: Admittedly, the media may well have embellished the story and blown it way out of proportion. (I don't know, I don't watch much news and try to stay away from editorials) I don't believe that excuses Harper from commenting, though.

Milo wrote: »
    John Tory gets crucified in an election (pun intended) for wanting to bring equality to school funding in Ontario, but very few "Progressives" (pun intended) seem outraged about prayer services in a public school. I would just appreciate it if people were more open about their double standards.

This retort is more of an opinion than a rebuttal, so take it as you will.

I don't see there being any way to bring equality to school funding in Ontario without getting rid of publicly funded faith-based schools entirely. Would ALL faiths be represented, as well as each sect? Buddhist? Baha'i? Mormon? Jewish? Anglican, Lutheran, Evangelical? Pastafarian? And how would you ensure they're all equal? So, (imo) he got crucified for presenting an unrealistic platform, which usually happens to the NDP (zing!)

And count me as one progressive who IS outraged about prayer services in a public school.

Respectfully,
    Hang2Dry
  • H2D: Yes, three backbenchers have opened their yaps to grab some headlines . . . but Harper, when asked about it, stated categorically that abortion was not on the agenda for his government, and would not be on the agenda for his government, as it was not a question the Canadian people were interested in re-visiting. He did this on camera in front of many live mics, so I fail to understand how anyone can continue to give credence to the issue. The Prime Minister, the guy who sets the course for the government has said NO. And, as any good Progressive should understand: No means NO.

And for the record, Tory's idea was funding for all, or scrapping funding for the Catholic boards. He was of the opinion that extending the funding was easier politically. Oops.
  • Harper did say that, about 4 months ago. Not a word since those clowns spoke "out of turn."

When I was going to school there was Christian Fellowship Club. They were given a classroom in which to hold their meetings during lunch hour. I peeked in one day when I noticed the door slightly ajar. There were prayers being said out loud. People closed their eyes and pressed their hands together.

Is it wrong to allow other faiths the same privilege? As long as it doesn't cost any extra dollars than the Christian Fellowship Club costs, then I don't see a problem.

As for the funding, in Kitchener we have a choice to fund the Catholic system or the public system. We don't fund the Catholics if we don't want to. It's a choice.
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    Harper did say that, about 4 months ago. Not a word since those clowns spoke "out of turn."

He was on the evening news reiterating the government's position on the 29th. It is why I posted the thread.

When I was going to school there was Christian Fellowship Club. They were given a classroom in which to hold their meetings during lunch hour. I peeked in one day when I noticed the door slightly ajar. There were prayers being said out loud. People closed their eyes and pressed their hands together.

There is a difference between a prayer said at the beginning of a meeting asking God's blessings on the proceedings as opposed to the Muslim call to prayer.

Is it wrong to allow other faiths the same privilege? As long as it doesn't cost any extra dollars than the Christian Fellowship Club costs, then I don't see a problem.

The call to prayer is a religious service, and not appropriate in a public school. A Muslim group asking Allah to bless their meeting in a room like you describe would be a "reasonable accomadation", imo.

As for the funding, in Kitchener we have a choice to fund the Catholic system or the public system. We don't fund the Catholics if we don't want to. It's a choice.

The government in Ontario is required by law to fund the Catholic boards, but no others. Is that fair to the other faiths? Those faiths do not have the "choice" to direct their education taxes to their preferred school.

Please see bolded comments above.
  • By "publicly funded" you mean people have a choice whether to fund the Catholic board or the public board, correct? Those are the only two choices, except there is also one Protestant separate school board in Ontario. How do they do it?

No country can be all things to all people. No country tries to be. When I see a Muslim country funding a separate Christian school system, then I'll revisit the question in Canada. Until then, yes, it's fair.

Got a link to Harper's comment on the 29th? Can't find anything about Harper making a comment.
  • No link, just saw it on CFTO news, in relation to Torst's idiot rantings. Have never heard of a Protestant School Board anywhere in ON. Whereabouts is it?

As for the, "when I see them doing it in their country" argument, aren't we supposed to be better than "they" are? Not saying I want to fund all schools, but I do think the argument to fund the Catholic board no longer stands up to the scrutiny of logic in the 21st century.
  • Segregate.

And no, not what you're thinking - I just like to stir up shit sometimes.

Clearly define what is and is not the duties of institutions. Schools, teach them to read, write, history, biology, science, and whatever other intellectual / skills - based knowledge the youth need to know to succeed in life. Religion? Parent's gig and also their expense - take them to church, enroll them in a sunday school. Teachers should be concerned about the fundamentals up to the theoretical and applicable, not if the kid's fucking lunch is healthy (another pet peeve).

Mark
  • If Harper did indeed say something on the 29th, then I concede my point, as I really don't watch newscasts. I thought you posted the thread because the funding went through, even though an MP was still against it or whatever. I still think he should shut them up or kick them out, but I guess it's not my party to run.

And Tory, well, hindsight is 20/20. It'd be so hard to get rid of the Catholic board, and you'd lose a large number of votes by saying you're going to scrap it. Apparently you lose just as many, if not more by saying you're extending the funding. I might've voted PC if that hadn't been on the table, but I honestly didn't look at their platform much beyond that.
  • Milo wrote: »
    No link, just saw it on CFTO news, in relation to Torst's idiot rantings. Have never heard of a Protestant School Board anywhere in ON. Whereabouts is it?

As for the, "when I see them doing it in their country" argument, aren't we supposed to be better than "they" are? Not saying I want to fund all schools, but I do think the argument to fund the Catholic board no longer stands up to the scrutiny of logic in the 21st century.

What you probably saw was his statement prior to the election. I've checked all Canadian news sources and not one article mentioning a Harper statement following the recent MPs' outbursts. I'm pretty sure it is because the wording you used is almost exactly the same as the statement from 21 April, 2011. Coincidentally (or not), it was Trost who spoke up to provoke that statement as well.

Harper says he won't reopen abortion debate - Windsor - CBC News

Penetanguishene Protestant Separate School Board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Constitution of Canada does not establish separate school education as a natural right, or an unconditional right. It's only because the Catholic School Board predates Confederation, that it is not affected by this provision. Therefore, the funding choices are kept at two, the Catholic or the public. In other words, it's the law of the land.

John Tory was a clown. He would have had to change the Constitution to do what he promised. How likely was that to happen? Who in their right mind would make a promise that would require a change to the Constitution? We should be trying to get out of debt, not take on more. Typical conservative thinking.