Quick ???

I will be getting a laptop for my birthday . . . with the inevitable wireless router, so that daughter can use the desktop PC at the same time. Will the laptop have a separate IP address, or will each computer have an unique IP addy?

Comments

• separate Im pretty sure, PS at least for collusion
  • You'll still get the same IP address but the router will assign you 2 router IP addresses eg: Desktop PC: 192.168.1.103 Laptop: 192.168.1.104
  • Great time to be laptop shopping is right now Milo. Loads of back to school deals around. Tigerdirect has some massive sale specifically on laptops. Bestbuy too I think. Ah hell, they all do.
  • i dunno why your asking so the relevance might be important there but generally its all automatic and it doesn't matter..
  • the world will see you with one IP. between the desktop or laptop and the router will be another 2 IP's

just noticed icedog said it better.......keep calm, carry on.
  • Gotta send my tower out for repairs first . . . router needs an ethernet port. One on the tower is currently frigged. Didn't matter for the modem, as a USB works, too. Oh well, looks like the Sunday tourney will be my last until I am portable, so to speak.
  • Can I be part of your poker farm?
  • Naah . . . too low rent for your tastes, GTA. I think the wife just wants to have me in the same room for a change . . . hence the laptop.
  • Sounds like you got the laptop. Whud'ya get?
  • Acer Aspire . . . basically this thing has the same performance specs as our desktop. I am constantly amazed at how quickly things change in computers. The laptop cost HALF of what we paid for the desktop, has newer tech, the same performance, and it's only been 3 years . . .

In about a week I should be up and running . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    Acer Aspire . . . basically this thing has the same performance specs as our desktop. I am constantly amazed at how quickly things change in computers. The laptop cost HALF of what we paid for the desktop, has newer tech, the same performance, and it's only been 3 years . . .

In about a week I should be up and running . . .
    If you need any direct help, let me know... :) Probably just a call and I can guide you.

eg, your router will have it's own IP depending on make, ie 192.168.0.1. It will assign IP's to your devices, ie laptops, desktops, ipods, etc normally starting at 192.168.0.100 and up. To the outside world you will have one IP assigned by your Internet Service Provider (ISP for short). It will not be in the range above nor do you need to worry about it. Let me know if you need any help.
    Gotta send my tower out for repairs first . . . router needs an ethernet port. One on the tower is currently frigged. Didn't matter for the modem, as a USB works, too. Oh well, looks like the Sunday tourney will be my last until I am portable, so to speak.
    Unlikely the ethernet port is really bad. It's rare. Let me know if you want me to fix.
  • Well, for whatever reason, it is not functioning. That is why our modem is using a USB connection. Besides, it's a few years old, and due for an overhaul . . . thanks for the offer, but I am thinking it may need a few upgrades, so I am going to take it in locally.
    Well, for whatever reason, it is not functioning. That is why our modem is using a USB connection. Besides, it's a few years old, and due for an overhaul . . . thanks for the offer, but I am thinking it may need a few upgrades, so I am going to take it in locally.
    k its likely because there is no 'driver'. this is a like a software patch that tells the computer how to use the ethernet port....youd think it would be built in but its not.....

you wouldn't need it if you were using the usb....which won't need a driver installed when you got your modem...

this is a common issue with people when upgrading networking systems and changing configs. prob just a 2 min download will fix it...
  • The ethernet port was working before the lightning strike. Afterwards . . . not so much.
    The ethernet port was working before the lightning strike. Afterwards . . . not so much.
    k its fucked....
  • Even if it really is a replacement network card is like $10. Suit yourself but don't spend very much on a few year old computer. I really don't mind helping. :)
  • As I've mentioned before, I will gladly vouch for Comp with the computer helping.

He saved me from a complete reformat, reinstall of operating system and all software which would have taken at least an entire day. Plus he's got a pretty sexy phone voice and didn't charge for that..
  • . Plus he's got a pretty sexy phone voice and didn't charge for that..
    Now I'm nervous....:-\
  • You gonna send me a late invoice or what?

I wasn't saying it was like Barry White kind of sexy, just more Frank Sinatra gravelly and weened on gasoline kind of thing. More calming and soothing for when I was havin' the computer troubles..
  • Jeff, are you available tomorrow? The wife approves . . . and I approve of a sexy voice, if not quite Barry White sexy.