Bristol Street Classic XI - Results!!

In the end, 25 players competed for a total prize pool of $370 and one walked away as both Bristol Street XI Champion as well as the first Bristol Street Classic *repeat* champion.

As always, it was another fun night. Great to see some new and old faces in the mix. Official results are at the end of post.

I also just realized that I forgot to take a chip count at the final table.

FINAL TABLE:

"Redington" Tyson J.
"Lamb of" John A.
"Big Daddy" Paul W.
"Zithal" Rob L.
"ItsAMe" Mario
Ian R.
"stpboy" Shannon
"Dirty Whore" Mark B.

8th, 7th - Ian R., Tyson J.

Going into the final table stp and myself were the small, desperate stacks. Early on, Shannon caught a triple-up, then I repeated a feat from one of the previous tournaments and cracked his KK with AJ (all-in on my part, pre-flop) This bought us a few more rounds at the table, when this "controversial" hand happened.

In mid-position and with a dwindling stack, Ian R. pushes all-in. Not noticing that Tyson had yet to act, Paul declared, "I'll call what ever you have." The mistake was noted, and Tyson himself pushed all in, having Ian covered.

Paul asked for a chip count of Tyson's pile, but it was ruled that Paul's "call" was binding, and he (only semi-reluctently) put his chips into the pot, having both players covered.

Ian turns over pocket 7's, Tyson has AQ, while Paul as pocket tens. Quickly racing, a Queen appeared as the final card on the board, but in his excitment, Tyson had accidentally flopped the Q as the sixth card. The momentary excitement on Tyson's part was cut short, the T's held and two players were eliminated putting Paul into a commanding chip lead.

6th - "Lamb of" John A.
I cannot recall the exact circumstances on this elimination, so I'll leave it to John to fill in the pieces.

5th - "ItsaMe" Mario - $18
Mario's first cash finish at Bristol St. gets no furthur than 5th place. A good tournamnet played by Mario, and once again, I cannot recall the details of the hand he got eliminated on.

Just before Mario was elimianted, I doubled up on Mark on a flopped nut-flush and fell comfortably into 2nd chip position.

4th - "Dirty Whore" Mark B - $37

After loosing a good portion of his stack to me, I raised pre-flop with wired 2's, Mark pushed all-in and I had enough to cover him that I was willing to chance the higher pocket pair for a chance at a coin-flip to eliminate him. (Probably not my best decision)

Mark turned over AJ(?) and the 2's held up, helped by a third on the turn.

3rd - "stpboy" Shannon - $55

At this point in the game, Shannon was the short stack with Paul and myself with similar chip stacks. In retaliation for my AJ v. KK Shannon spent a long time getting in with the worst of hit and hitting his long shots to stay alive. The size of the blinds couldn't keep stp alive for long and he eventually lost to Paul.

HEADS UP!

Down to Paul and myself, there would be crowned a first even repeat Champion. (myself: Bristol Street I, Paul: Bristol Street VII) Heads up started with at roughly a 2 to 1 chip advantage, and it lasted three hands.

Paul started off giving off a bully image playing his first two hands very agressively (which he later said was because his first two hands was KK and AT)

The third hand I was dealt AQd and Paul raised to 3,200 (blinds were 600-1,200). I had just under 10k left, so I pushed all-in, Paul called turning over pocket 6's, they held up and the event was over!

1st - "Big Daddy" Paul W. - $167
2nd - "Zithal" Rob L. - $92

From our winner....
Thanks again for the tourney last night. Even though I'm totally bagged today (combination of adrenalin and Robert not eating well last night, so he was up all night. Ah well) I had a blast I have to admit, when I arrived, my expectations were pretty low (given the growing percentage of "serious" players that are showing up, my goal was to play 2.5 hours. And given how poorly the first half hour went for me, I almost didn't make it that far (I had three second best hands in a row) D'oh.) Still nice to see that my game can hold up.

I also have to share my most memorable (and most heart pounding) hand of the night:

Pre-flop, blinds around 150-300, I have K-K in one of the blinds (small I think). Several calls to me, I raise to 900, and Tye re-raises All-In. I immediately called, and had him covered by about 200. Everybody else folds, partly due to my quick call, for a pot of about 5000+. Tye reveals A-J off. Flop comes KQx, Tye needing a 10 or running As. The turn comes up a 10, and now I need the board to pair up on the river. Which is does, with a Q. I can't call it a bad beat, because I had the best hand going in, but dang...
A big congrats to Paul in becomming the first even repeat Bristol Street Champion and look for the next event to be coming very soon!!

There were a lot of memorable moments in the event, so feel free to share some of your favorite hands below...

COMPLETE RESULTS:

1st: "Big Daddy" Paul W. : $167
2nd: "Zithal" Rob L. : $92
3rd: "stpboy" Shannon : $55
4th: "Dirty Whore" Mark B.: $37
5th: "It'saMe" Mario: $18
6th: "Lamb of" John A. (Bubble Boy!)
7th: "Redington" Tyson J.
8th: Ian R.
9th: "Oragami" Jonathan C.
10th: Steve B.
11th: Dave P.
12th: Kory M.
13th: "siswanto" Mike S.
14th: "SkittlePoker" Bill S.
15th: "8Ball" Tye Z.
16th: "Brava" Dave S.
17th: Ryan H. **defending Bristol Street X Champion
18th: Johh H.
19th: Paul S.
20th: "Shopsy" -- is this correct?? I didn't mark down when Shopsy was eliiminated?
21st: Chris L.
22nd: Niki L.
23rd: Pete S.
24th: Geoff C.
25th: Spenser

Comments

• Bubble Boy?

nice. i had alot of fun. i went into the final table at about 2nd or 3rd in chips. lost a crutial coin toss, and then lost my last $900 with a shady all-in call.

thanks alot rob, i wont miss the money next time. haha

johnny
  • Thanks for the tourney Rob, just wasn"t my night. Pretty sure the results are right, doesn"t really matter much when you"re at the bottom.

Congrats to Paul and yourself for making it to the end.

See you at the next tourney,
  • Thanks again to Rob for running a great tournament. The level of play is getting pretty darn good. Thanks to everyone else for a fun evening of poker. I'm still a bit stunned to be the first two time Bristol champion. Hmm, where's my bracelet?
  • Thanks for the Tourniment! Two Bad beats and I still had a great time.

8Ball
  • My compliments once again for a job well done on the tournament. I tried a few different things in this tournament that I haven't really tried before or haven't consistently tried. First of all, wore glasses. Found some old school 70's gold-rimmed glasses, had a few comments about me looking like Johnny Depp in that movie "secret window" I dunno, never seen it. I did feel more comfortable looking at people in the eyes and looking around not having to think about people knowing im watching them. Of course, I'm not sure the glasses are totally blocking people from seeing MY eyes but the illusion is there and that's all that counts.

Secondly, went in with a simple plan. Trust my instincts. This allowed me to have way more confidence playing post flop. Couple hands I played that I normally wouldn't play this way:

Blinds 15/30 (everyone has about same stack, 1000)
    I'm in the SB with KK, two limpers in front of me, I call and so does the BB.
    *typically i will raise with this hand in any position with two or more limpers*

Flop 5 10 K rainbow....anyway I had a guy betting into me the whole way and I bet at the river for 350, he calls with KJ. I win about 700. Not a difficult hand but I was willing to let it go cheaply if my instincts told me he had an ace and an ace had fallen.

Blinds 50/100 (I have about 2750, above avg.)
    I pick up 75c UTG, I raise to 300.
    Guy to my immediate left who is a solid player raises to 600.
    Zithal in the small calls the 600. I call.

Flop 9 5 3 rainbow
    I bet out 900 and take down the pot.
    Again, nothing big here other then trusting my instincts and trusting my post flop play ability. Something I haven't always done.

stp
  • stpboy wrote:
    My compliments once again for a job well done on the tournament. I tried a few different things in this tournament that I haven't really tried before or haven't consistently tried. First of all, wore glasses. Found some old school 70's gold-rimmed glasses, had a few comments about me looking like Johnny Depp in that movie "secret window" I dunno, never seen it. I did feel more comfortable looking at people in the eyes and looking around not having to think about people knowing im watching them. Of course, I'm not sure the glasses are totally blocking people from seeing MY eyes but the illusion is there and that's all that counts.

I've always been mixed about wearing dark glasses in tournaments. I haven't seen you play before, but you certainly projected a lot of confidence, and that helps. You also did a pretty good job of reading my good hands. By the final table I was using my chips to apply a lot of pressure, and I think you did a good job of avoiding me when I had the goods. You also folded a couple hands where I was on a semi-bluff, but that's what good players will do.

Actually, that's the one part of my game I was happiest with on Wednesday. After doubling up thanks to 8Ball, I had a long stretch where I had everybody comfortably covered, and was able to steal on marginal cards or stay in a few hands where I caught something on the turn or river that I would have folded earlier with a smaller stack. Usually if I get a chip lead, I tend to tighten up and play to not lose my chips, but this time I made a conscious effort to use my chips to get more.

Looking forward to Bristol XII...
  • BigDaddy wrote:
    I've always been mixed about wearing dark glasses in tournaments. I haven't seen you play before, but you certainly projected a lot of confidence, and that helps. You also did a pretty good job of reading my good hands. By the final table I was using my chips to apply a lot of pressure, and I think you did a good job of avoiding me when I had the goods. You also folded a couple hands where I was on a semi-bluff, but that's what good players will do.
    Thank you very much for the compliment, I actually found this particular bunch of players very complimentary. Makes it easy to be confident when everyone is telling you how impressed they are with your play :wink: . I'm glad that I was eventually beaten by two Very Good Players.
    BigDaddy wrote:
    Usually if I get a chip lead, I tend to tighten up and play to not lose my chips, but this time I made a conscious effort to use my chips to get more.
    A very good player with a very big stack and very aggressive tendencies is very dangerous. Nice change of pace for you, it obviously "paid off".

very stp