MOTHERF&*&R - Help / Advice needed

Hey all

So, about a month ago my dishwasher was not draining correctly, and would overflow onto my kitchen floor. I tried cleaning the machine, clearing out the filter, checking the hose and what not, worked a few more times, then pooched out again.

I went on Kijiji, and found a free dishwasher, got it installed, and it was working fine, until this morning when the same damned thing happened. Again, water isn't draining, and spilling onto the floor. Now, assuming that it's not a coincidental breaking of both dishwashers, and using new hoses for draining when I put the new one in, I can't figure out what could be going wrong here. The hose connects to the plumbing under my sink, but both sinks drain fine. Any ideas what's causing this?

Mark

Comments

• are you on sceptic?....could be something further down just a "slow hole".....go pour like 3-4 liters down your sink....or plug it, fill it and drain it....if it has a fit your SOL call the plumber
  • Oh, yea...

I'm in a condo building, standard plumbing AFAIK

Mark
  • Do the sink drain thing see if its slow.....maybe put a electirc snake down it
  • Isn't there a condo manager/maintenance person for this sort of thing?
  • Paper plates and plastic utensils and cups.

You're welcome. :)
  • sounds like something stuck down in the pipes. Try some draino or snake as suggested. Spend the $100 and get a plumber in. Don't want water leaking into the other units, then your fucked.
  • If you know its a clogged drain, and know where the clog is, then all a plumber will do is power snake it. That you can easily do yourself, should be able to rent a power snake from somewhere in your area for a fraction of the cost of a plumber.

EDIT: Your condo maintenance dept might even have a power snake you can borrow. (Maybe?) I don't have much expertise in condo maintenance or what they will help you out with....

Power snake > draino or liquid plumber.

Wonder what could have gone through your old dishwasher to clog the drain on that side?

More EDIT: You sure your drain line to your sink is not blocked? New hoses are in, what about the nipple that you clamp the drain hose to under the sink, is it blocked somehow...?
  • To #$% your mother you just have to clear your mind....It's like using the force.. I just put the fact that she's your mother out of my mind and I just do it.

EDIT: forget everything I posted above. ....gotta start reading more than the thread titles.
  • Get a small snake, and run it through the drain hose for your D/W . . . make sure you see it poking out the other end. Once that is clear, reconnect everything and try filling the basin of your D/W with water, following which you will start it at the point where it would normally drain. If it drains, you have solved your problem. If not . . .

Is this a new building, or an older one? Older buildings were not necessarily designed to efficiently drain in-unit dishwashers or washing machines . . . to the point where you could face severe penalties for violations.
  • Go play a session of 1/2 and when you get +$300 cash out.

Call a plumber.

Keep the remaining profit.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Get a small snake, and run it through the drain hose for your D/W . . . make sure you see it poking out the other end. Once that is clear, reconnect everything and try filling the basin of your D/W with water, following which you will start it at the point where it would normally drain. If it drains, you have solved your problem. If not . . .

Is this a new building, or an older one? Older buildings were not necessarily designed to efficiently drain in-unit dishwashers or washing machines . . . to the point where you could face severe penalties for violations.
    +1 iso problem....dishwasher or plumbing.....can't count on the dishwasher bein new to know......

also you can find schematics and troublshooting on almost any model of anything online...
  • Check the entire routing of the drain hose. I installed a unit myself many years ago and it would stop draining after a few uses, so I would yank it out, pull apart and redo all the connections, only to have the problem return. I mentioned it to a plumber who told me to make sure the drain hose doesn't have any sharp bends in it. In my instance, there was a sharp bend under the dishwasher and the warm water would soften the hose to the point where the bend became a kink when the hose cooled off and wouldn't drain the next time I used it. I had to re-route the hose so the bend was more gradual and the problem went away.

Jac
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Go play a session of 1/2 and when you get +$300 cash out.

Call a plumber.

Keep the remaining profit.

I have highlighted the flaw in your solution.
    I have highlighted the flaw in your solution.

Didn't notice op is mark.

My bad.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Isn't there a condo manager/maintenance person for this sort of thing?

Yeah, tell Schneider to get his ass up there.

harrington725920.jpg

Holy fuck I'm old.
  • How can you NOT love Schneider . . . well, other than that he is dead, of course.
  • If water is not backing up into your sink and you have no water under your sink, then your drain line is clear. Could be the pump is not working properly thus allowing the dishwasher to fill with water and overflow. Not a dishwasher expert, but check the drain inside the dishwasher, if I'm not mistaken it should have a cover that moves up or down depending on the dishwasher cycle, maybe it's sticking. Could also be a bad solenoid that works the drain cycle. Been plumbing for 25 years, hope that helps.
  • Does it look like this when you take the back off?? I think I might know someone who can help.....

apt002.jpg?t=1296690328
  • That looks like something that belongs in the woods behind the barn, with a deep hole underneath . . . yuck.
    That looks like something that belongs in the woods behind the barn, with a deep hole underneath . . . yuck.

Darb and DrTyore = strange bedfellows?

http://www.pokerforum.ca/f12/what-do-i-do-4th-wire-24534/
  • compuease wrote: »
    Darb and DrTyore = strange bedfellows?

http://www.pokerforum.ca/f12/what-do-i-do-4th-wire-24534/

You've connected the dots. Nice job.