The Greatest Person - EVER edition

Hey all..

I like to stir up conversation, so let's try and be somewhat serious here. Question: Who is the greatest person ever.

Criteria:
- must be an actual, non-fictional person (i.e. no Sherlock Holmes / Han Solo)
- You will be making arguments, so accomplishments must be empirically proven within reason (You could say Einstein because he's credited with the theory of relativity / Neil Armstrong for being the first moonwalker despite disputes as to their legitimacy, but not "God" because he pwned nothingness in 6 days)
- You must follow format.

Formatting:

<Name of your submission>

Highlights:
<Up to 5, point form highlights>

Essay section:

Let's say a 500 word or less summary of why you think they're #1

Link:

<Link for more information to the interested>

Comments

• Dr. Norman E. Borlaug

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize
    Awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom and Congressional Gold Medal
    Awarded the Padma Vibhushan (India's highest civilian honour)
    Father of the Green Revolution

Borlaug received a PhD from the University of Minnesota in Plant Pathology in the early 40's. He took up a research position in Mexico, developing high-yield, disease resistant wheat varietals. Borlaug's research and discoveries are responsible for turning countires like India, Pakistan, Mexico, and many others from importers of cereal grains into self sufficient producers. Implementation of his discoveries is credited with saving over 1 billion people from starvation in the late 60's and early 70's.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FNorman_Borlaug&ei=kYJOTp2vI4GQ0gH9mIGABw&usg=AFQjCNF1kQi_-Mt1cLNdQnnFxGYdr5zHbA
  • Your mom.

She's Hot.

And lets me do stuff.

Sometimes twice.
  • What, no link to said "stuff"? Disqualified, imo.
  • Mohammed Ali

'casue he said so
  • Macke wrote: »
    Fed

we have a winner!
  • Adolf Hitler

Hitler's rule led to very large expansions of industrial production and to civil improvement in Germany.

Hitler oversaw one of the largest infrastructure-improvement campaigns in German history, leading to the construction of dams, autobahns, railroads, and other civil works.

Hitler's government sponsored architecture on an immense scale, with Albert Speer becoming the first architect of the Reich, instrumental in implementing Hitler's classicist reinterpretation of German culture. In 1936, Hitler opened the summer Olympic games in Berlin. Hitler also made some contributions to the design of the Volkswagen Beetle and charged Ferdinand Porsche with its design and construction.
  • I'd like to thank Milo for his input.

:P

Mark
  • trigs wrote: »
    Adolf Hitler

Hitler's rule led to very large expansions of industrial production and to civil improvement in Germany.

Hitler oversaw one of the largest infrastructure-improvement campaigns in German history, leading to the construction of dams, autobahns, railroads, and other civil works.

Hitler's government sponsored architecture on an immense scale, with Albert Speer becoming the first architect of the Reich, instrumental in implementing Hitler's classicist reinterpretation of German culture. In 1936, Hitler opened the summer Olympic games in Berlin. Hitler also made some contributions to the design of the Volkswagen Beetle and charged Ferdinand Porsche with its design and construction.

I could almost go along with this entry . . . except for that whole WWII thingy. And the slaughter of Jews . . . not to mention the wanton pillaging of National Treasures . . . oh, and he was none too fond of Gypsies . . . or Slavs, Serbs, Poles, Russians, Freemasons, Catholics . . . well, you get the idea.

Nope, my buddy Norman is still way out in front.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    I'd like to thank Milo for his input.

:P

Mark

What do I win? Because I have a great "Mao" post waiting in the wings . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    I could almost go along with this entry . . . except for that whole WWII thingy. And the slaughter of Jews . . . not to mention the wanton pillaging of National Treasures . . . oh, and he was none too fond of Gypsies . . . or Slavs, Serbs, Poles, Russians, Freemasons, Catholics . . . well, you get the idea.

Nope, my buddy Norman is still way out in front.

talk about making judgements...
  • Trigs is my new hero!
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    Trigs is my new hero!

Fascist . . . :D
  • trigs wrote: »
    Adolf Hitler

Plus his insanity and thirst for power united the allies and cemented their relationship that continues to benefit all the industrialized nations of the world to this day, including Germany. The United Nations, NATO, The G8, etc...
  • Genghis Khan
    At the time of his death in 1227, Genghis Khan had unified the Mongol people, organized a nearly invincible army of fearless nomadic warriors, and set into motion the first stage in the conquest of an enormous territory that would be completed by his sons and grandsons. With extraordinary speed and devastating ruthlessness the Mongols [more information on the Mongols] created the world’s largest empire, stretching at its greatest extent from Korea to Hungary. But the legacy of Genghis Khan extends well beyond the battlefield. The Mongols’ promotion of pan-Asian trade, their avid taste for luxury goods, and their practice of relocating artists combined to produce an unprecedented cross-fertilization of artistic ideas throughout Eurasia.

The Legacy of Genghis Khan (LACMA)

Conquered half the world, spread law and order, opened the world up to trade, spread culture and art, tolerant of all religions. He shaped the modern world.
    Beneficial aspects of Mongol empire

The book argues that the Mongol Empire was the impetus for the European Age of Discovery. Europeans two centuries later were trying to reclaim the lucrative global trade that was lost when the Mongol Empire collapsed.

A brief list of some of the ways in which Mongol influence, according to Weatherford's claims, helped shape Renaissance Europe:

Unprecedented religious tolerance
    Low level of discrimination toward other races
    Low level of meddling with local customs and culture
    The idea of rule by consensus within Mongol tribes
    Culture of meritocracy
    Culture that believed in the rule of law
    Strong sponsorship of Eurasian trade
    Building of roads to support trade
    First culture to promote universal literacy
    First international postal system
    First widespread use of paper money
    Reduction of the use of torture in the penal system
    Belief in diplomatic immunity for ambassadors/envoys

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Genghis Khan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • we can probably find a better candidate than these mass murderers.
  • Ahem . . . once again, what do I win?
  • seeing as you won't except Jesus Christ from Nazerath I will go with:

William Franklin "Billy" Graham, Jr.

(born November 7, 1918) is an American evangelical Christian evangelist. As of April 25, 2010, when he met with Barack Obama, Graham has spent personal time with twelve United States Presidents[1] dating back to Harry S. Truman, and is number seven on Gallup's list of admired people for the 20th century.[2] He is a Southern Baptist.[3][4] He rose to celebrity status as his sermons were broadcast on radio and television.

Graham has preached the Gospel in person to more people than any other person in history.[5] According to his staff, as of 1993 more than 2.5 million people have "stepped forward at his crusades to accept Jesus Christ as their personal Savior", many to the altar call song "Just As I Am".[6] As of 2008, Graham's lifetime audience, including radio and television broadcasts, topped 2.2 billion.[5]

Crusades

Billy Graham has conducted many evangelistic crusades since 1948. He began this form of ministry in 1947 and continued until recently. He would rent a large venue, such as a stadium, park, or street. He arranged a group of up to 5,000 people to sing in a choir and then preached the gospel and invited people to come forward (a practice begun by Dwight L. Moody). These people, called inquirers, were then given the opportunity to speak one-on-one with a counselor who clarified any questions the inquirer may have had and would pray with that person. The inquirers were often given resources, such as a copy of the Gospel of John or a Bible study booklet. In Moscow in 1992, one-quarter of the 155,000 people in his audience came forward upon his request.[6]

Graham was offered a five-year, $5 million contract from NBC to appear on television opposite Arthur Godfrey, but he turned it down in favor of continuing his touring revivals because of his pre-arranged commitments.[9] Graham had missions in London, which lasted 12 weeks, and a New York City mission in Madison Square Garden, in 1957, which ran nightly for 16 weeks. In 1959, he led his first crusade, which was in London.

Billy Graham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Nice try, Brent . . . Billy saves their souls, while Norman saves their lives. Only one way to settle this is . . .

STEEL CAGE DEATH MATCH !!!
  • ill have one soon....tonight prob tho late i mean
  • Perfect . . . three-way dance.
  • Randy "Macho Man" Savage

/thread
  • Cerberus wrote: »
    Randy "Macho Man" Savage

/thread
    /thread..? you didn't even follow the fckn posting rules....:-\

;p
  • Chuck Norris.

Because the rules follow Chuck Norris...he doesn't need to abide.
  • FWIW...

I'm not offering a "winner" here... just figured it was an interesting exercise... so Brent, much appreciated for your entry.... Others - follow the rules!

Mark
  • Genghis Khan was no more a mass murderer than Julius Caesar. Anyway, he did more to shape the modern world than anyone I know of, let alone the people listed here.
  • I think being able to actually feed the "modern world" is a pretty important thing, don't you? W/o Borlaug, we would not be able to feed our planet.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    FWIW...

... so Brent, much appreciated for your entry.... Others - follow the rules!

Mark

First off the link to the rules doesn't work on my computer anyway. Second, don't understand your above quote. If you are referring to Jesus Christ of Nazareth comment. I didn't put forth a proof for Him being God, but one would have to admit No man has changed the world the way he did. For right or wrong people are still talking about Him today. Fighting wars, blaming Him for the wrong in the world, why does He allow bad things to happen to good people. Why doesn’t he defeat evil. If you don't want to except the Bible that he walked earth, how about historians from the day? Believe it or not, what He did on earth during His time affected the world like never before or since.

Unless you are saying Jesus Christ of Nazareth was a myth?
  • Brent, Mark did not post a link in the OP. The idea was to suggest that entrants provide a link (as I did) to more information on their applicant.
  • First off the link to the rules doesn't work on my computer anyway. Second, don't understand your above quote. If you are referring to Jesus Christ of Nazareth comment. I didn't put forth a proof for Him being God, but one would have to admit No man has changed the world the way he did. For right or wrong people are still talking about Him today. Fighting wars, blaming Him for the wrong in the world, why does He allow bad things to happen to good people. Why doesn’t he defeat evil. If you don't want to except the Bible that he walked earth, how about historians from the day? Believe it or not, what He did on earth during His time affected the world like never before or since.

Unless you are saying Jesus Christ of Nazareth was a myth?

Dude.. not picking a fight, I was legit thanking you for your input. Also, never said you couldn't pull out old JC.

Mark