$5.50 big tournament on stars

playing in the $5.50 big tournament today and i wanted to post some hands to get some feedback. here's one for now. i'll hopefully come across a few more as the tournament goes on.

PokerStars Game #66184540628: Tournament #434010284, $5.00+$0.50 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level V (30/60) - 2011/08/18 9:46:34 ET
Table '434010284 257' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: HERO in BB (3095 in chips)
Seat 2: UTG (2980 in chips)
Seat 3: UTG+1 (2340 in chips)
Seat 4: MP1 (2820 in chips)
Seat 5: MP2 (3365 in chips)
Seat 6: hijack (5810 in chips)
Seat 7: cutoff (2365 in chips)
Seat 8: button (12921 in chips)
Seat 9: SB (4171 in chips)
HERO: posts the ante 5
UTG: posts the ante 5
UTG+1: posts the ante 5
MP1: posts the ante 5
MP2: posts the ante 5
hijack: posts the ante 5
cutoff: posts the ante 5
button: posts the ante 5
SB: posts the ante 5
SB: posts small blind 30
HERO: posts big blind 60
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to m_dolens [9d Ks]
UTG: folds
UTG+1: calls 60
MP1: folds
MP2: folds
hijack: folds
cutoff: calls 60
button: folds
SB: folds
HERO: checks
*** FLOP *** [Kh Js 8h]
HERO: checks
UTG+1: bets 60
cutoff: calls 60
HERO: ?

it's still early on. i have top pair with a weak kicker. easy call? i'm assuming not a raise here with not a strong hand. i don't like getting into situations like this early on in tournaments and i think i may be playing them inappropriately. UTG+1 has been very loose. cutoff has been pretty tight. my assumption is at least one of them has me beat already, and if not the board seems pretty dangerous. thoughts?

Comments

• its kinda gross but ill donk this out, small...maybe lead the turn and check the river or check call a small bet. you can do this when the board is drawy..as played you can call the flop or make a small raise but you gotta raise somewhere so you control the pot and don't just end up calling off your stack...
  • darbday wrote: »
    its kinda gross but ill donk this out, small...maybe lead the turn and check the river or check call a small bet. you can do this when the board is drawy..as played you can call the flop or make a small raise but you gotta raise somewhere so you control the pot and don't just end up calling off your stack...

thanks for the comments darb. i was thinking check/call and leading the turn if a blank hits. just didn't have a good feeling though and i folded. definitely would have been wary of calling off my stack with this holding. i hate positions like this. (btw, both players showed a jack after min bet and call on turn and river. AJ took it down.)
  • ya and theres some value here but you don't wanna call ofg your stack to j8 or something so its nice to put out a raise somewhere to take the lead and not have the pot get outa control....but i never think twice about folding here....and sometimes ill try to stack off :p

lastly...BEWARE MULTIWAY POTS!
  • well, thought i'd have a few more hands to show, but didn't turn out that way. was pretty standard. coolered with KK vs AA. held on with the short stack for awhile. busted 792 out of 4154.

what about here? i'm assuming i can't fold with those odds even though i'm pretty sure i'm behind.

EDIT: BB has only been at the table for about 10 hands so no reads on him.

PokerStars Game #66185843346: Tournament #434010284, $5.00+$0.50 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level VIII (60/120) - 2011/08/18 10:22:02 ET
    Table '434010284 163' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
    Seat 1: hijack (4696 in chips)
    Seat 2: HERO (3600 in chips)
    Seat 3: button (1993 in chips)
    Seat 4: SB (7765 in chips)
    Seat 5: BB (1545 in chips)
    Seat 6: UTG (2800 in chips)
    Seat 7: UTG+1 (4805 in chips)
    Seat 8: MP1 (3437 in chips)
    Seat 9: MP2 (4230 in chips)
    hijack: posts the ante 15
    HERO: posts the ante 15
    button: posts the ante 15
    SB: posts the ante 15
    BB: posts the ante 15
    UTG: posts the ante 15
    UTG+1: posts the ante 15
    MP1: posts the ante 15
    MP2: posts the ante 15
    SB: posts small blind 60
    BB: posts big blind 120
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to HERO [Qc Kh]
    UTG: folds
    UTG+1: folds
    MP1: folds
    MP2: folds
    hijack: folds
    HERO: raises 180 to 300
    button: folds
    SB: folds
    BB: raises 1230 to 1530 and is all-in
    HERO: ?
  • what kind of hands do you put villain on here...
    what kind of hands do you put villain on here...

any pocket pair, AJ+, suited broadway maybe.
  • trigs wrote: »
    any pocket pair, AJ+, suited broadway maybe.
    will post the math in a bit here...
  • kqo vs aj+ 22+ and suited broadway leave you at 60/40......so you you need 1.5 to 1 on your money.....here you are kinda leaving that .5 behind if you fold.....you could call if you feel hes looser than you range but not really be happy about it...lots of people play tighter than that...and althought you have k and q blockers you are dominated by alot of ak kk type hands villain would push....

fold is prob best but with antes its not a crazy call... for me.... ;p

but the reason this got brought up is because you didn't make a plan before opening i think ;)

edit: my math could be wrong
    kqo vs aj+ 22+ and suited broadway leave you at 60/40......so you you need 1.5 to 1 on your money.....here you are kinda leaving that .5 behind if you fold.....you could call if you feel hes looser than you range but not really be happy about it...lots of people play tighter than that...and althought you have k and q blockers you are dominated by alot of ak kk type hands villain would push....

fold is prob best but with antes its not a crazy call... for me.... ;p

but the reason this got brought up is because you didn't make a plan before opening i think ;)

edit: my math could be wrong

thanks again darb. and yes, i didn't quite have a plan vs the short stack.

i ended up folding, but i'm not sure if i liked it.
  • you could fold too for sure i think..but you have to get others opinions before you thnk me ;p